Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Presidents Award

Options
  • 02-03-2005 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of you were going to do it? We got all this information about it the other day. What you have to do, for how long, etc. It certainly is going to be tough work! I'm pretty certain I'm going to do it. What about everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If I do it, (which I may, depending on how I feel about charity work and exercise at the time), it'll be in fourth year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

you might as well it builds up your CV well instead of having jack all on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's piss easy, well in my case anyway, is there anyone who doesn't do an hour of excercise and an hour of some other skill(such as a musical instrument) already? And the charity work shouldn't be that hard(although I haven't started mine yet, and I've been doing it since before xmas :P ).

Oh and for God's sake call it by it's proper name, An Gaisce, and not the bastardised English translation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

The teacher organising it in my school makes it sound pretty hard. "If you do not come to every meeting, you are not Gaisce material. If you are a quitter, you are not Gaisce material..."

You guys get the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

The Bronze award is fairly do-able for most people, but once you move on to silver and gold it does tend to sort people out, and quitters certainly won't get a gold award. It is part of the reason it's so useful for employers in selecting potential employees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I don't even know what it is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

hasn't been mentioned to our year yet.
    Seems like a good idea tho, might go for the bronze award next year when I'm 15 (transition year too) then go for the higher ones when I'm older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'll probably do it in college....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

Yeah, I'm going to do it in fourth year, and I'll be doing the bronze award, but we have to set it all up now for some reason... We have to know what we'll be doing, where we'll be doing it, etc. It's a tad intimidating but I can handle it. The bronze award doesn't seem too hard, but the gold award takes something like 2 years to complete! I don't think anyone from my school has done the gold award in years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I don't think anyone from my school has done the gold award in years!

Is that a challenge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

No, but Flash if you want to then I would be supportive all the way! Go for it honey! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I did the Bronze one when I was in Transition Year and it wasn't really that hard at all. I helped out with the local Brownies for my community work, I took up watercolour painting and I cycled to and from my painting and piano lessons each week. The only bit that took much effort was organising the adventure bit or whatever they call it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tiny Tot

Fishie wrote:
    I did the Bronze one when I was in Transition Year and it wasn't really that hard at all. I helped out with the local Brownies for my community work, I took up watercolour painting and I cycled to and from my painting and piano lessons each week. The only bit that took much effort was organising the adventure bit or whatever they call it

You must be multi-talented. Do you still paint and play piano? It's nice to know you put a little bit of yourself into others instead of travelling the world sightseeing like some do in their transition year.

Tiny Tot

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I still play the piano, I stopped taking painting lessons after I completed the award but I still paint every now and again. I have so much paper and paints and stuff left over even now! To be quitehonest, I did travel as well when I was in transition year - I went to Crete and had a great time poking through remains of Minoan palaces. But yes, Gaisce's a great thing to do, I'd recommend it to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tiny Tot

Did you find the grades difficult? I just hate exams whether it's with Trinity or Associated Board. I couldn't stick the boredom. I find most teachers are tough and they take all the fun out of playing. It's hard to find someone who makes it fun to learn.

TT

Advertisement