Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Air

Options
  • 02-03-2005 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

What is your favourite traditional air

Got 2: Raglan Road & Foggy Dew ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

an staicín órna (the little stack of barly) agus Paddy's return

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

the Chulin (sp) or the lonsome boatman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

lovely tunes alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

The Lonesome Boatman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭that guy

Some friendly advice: If you're in a pub and you see some musicians in the corner playing traditional music. Please don't ask them to play the lonesome boatman. They will pretend they don't know it or never heard of it, and they will do this when you turn your back on them : :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I wouldn't ask in the first place. Lonesome Boatman or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

that guy wrote:
    Some friendly advice: If you're in a pub and you see some musicians in the corner playing traditional music. Please don't ask them to play the lonesome boatman. They will pretend they don't know it or never heard of it, and they will do this when you turn your back on them : :rolleyes:
    Yes, absolutely. As a "family get together" musician, I've lost track of the number of times I've been *informed* that I know the tune.

I've been trying to get it for years now, and it'll be years yet before I sully Finbar Furey's reputation by palying it for other people.

An absolutely *mighty* tune though - it's great to play sitting in a small room with good acoustics. One of the few tunes that raises hairs on the *musician's* neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭annette curtain

yep agree completly, the lonesome boatman wins hands down!!

Advertisement