Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaking Radiator

Options
  • 03-03-2005 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Guys,

I have an '86 Opel Manta that has a couple of leaks in the radiator. I know the radiator can be re-furbished/repaired by replacing the matrix but I can't find anywhere that does this. Any ideas of companies that do this, the closest I know of is outside heathrow! I would prefer, Dublin or Co Kidare :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think there may be a place on the Quays (south, near Guinnesses) in Dublin that does radiator refubishing however it's years since I remember seeing the sign for it so it may not still be there. So that's not much help.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

on the Quays opposite to bargaintown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

can be welded if its steel alright, dont think aluminium welds.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

tlyons wrote:
    Guys,

I have an '86 Opel Manta

Any pics??....sorry just tink its a cool car!!

Maybe this sounds ridiculous but I assume youve tried some rad seal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Before Id go get it repaired Id throw in a bottle or 2 of rad weld, that might sort ya out! There is better stuff than rad weld but I cant remember the name of it off hand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

just a thought

http://www.goldenpages.ie/Results.asp?what=radiator&where=&wherePosition=&wherePositionLabel=&location=&county=[6]Dublin&seed=14296&rubric=294&otherClassification=1&fromLink=resultList&origin=RFC1

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Before Id go get it repaired Id throw in a bottle or 2 of rad weld, that might sort ya out! There is better stuff than rad weld but I cant remember the name of it off hand!
    Barrs Leaks is the best available but it is paliative care at best and wouldn't be suitable here if the intention is to restore/keep the car.

'c

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wouldn't have much faith in radweld or anything like that! If it indeed works then you could also have the problem of it causing blockages within the engine block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Thanks for that guys, for some reason never thought of looking in golden pages, I'll have a ring around!

On the point of RadWeld and Bars Leaks, yeh used them both before on other cars and they do work but I don't trust them. Anyway its time the Manta got treated better.

My Manta is not really fit for displaying pics on the net, maybe after the summer and the respray I've been planning for the last 8 yrs!! If you want to see pics of Manta's check out www.mantaclub.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have you looked around for a replacement radiator. There are always loads of car parts on ebay.co.uk, including unused NOS items. Here's a NOS rad for a Manta/Cavalier/Ascona. Says it's only for cars up to 1981 though.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10404&item=4531269498

BrianD3

Advertisement