Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Licence Questions.. North to South Divide

Options
  • 03-03-2005 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

i wonder if anyone could answer these few questions..

Say you are a 'R' driver in the North.. does that mean as soon as you drive over the border - you are still a 'R' driver..? restricted speed etc 45mph?

if you move to the south (from the north) as a 'R' driver.. can you transfer your licence from the north to south - would you recieve a full licence? (or do you have to do the test over again?)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I don't believe that there is any legislation relating to "R" plates in the south, or in the rest of the UK for that matter. Given that I don't see why or how they could be enforced. So on that one, IMO, I would say that you would not be restricted. You have a full license.

On your second question, why would you want to change your NI license to a Southern one? If you really wanted to I don't see why you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

AFAIK, it would be a straight swop when moving from the North to the Republic (!)

"South" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Quit it or I will use the term "mainland" for England.biggrin.gif

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Silvera wrote:
    AFAIK, it would be a straight swop when moving from the North to the Republic (!)

"South" :rolleyes:

It's a straight swap either way (North/south or South/North) afaik, Pa just swapped his on arrival in the Rep...but we're talking many half-moons ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Presumably if you changed North -> South and then back again you wouldn't have the R Plates, thus dodging the 45mph speed limit. Is this the reason?

• Advertisement
Advertisement