Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

META Tags and search engine bots

Options
  • 03-03-2005 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Am I right in assuming that meta tags are virtually dead? Crawlers such as googlebot dont use them, going more for relevance of links to your site and its content? Meta tags seem to have been abused by marketing companies and now the search engines have caught on. Any links/info on the subject?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

Am I right in assuming that meta tags are virtually dead? Crawlers such as googlebot dont use them, going more for relevance of links to your site and its content? Meta tags seem to have been abused by marketing companies and now the search engines have caught on. Any links/info on the subject?

Thanks

Depends...if you're solely optimising your site for google then you can probably leave them out. However, some people have reported that Google still occasionally uses some META elements when presenting site summaries. If you do up a decent set of meta tags it doesn't actually take that long to change them on each page. Personally I'd leave them in, some search engines might have a use for them and if they don't take that long then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Do a few search queries in google. Have a look at the output.

Advertisement