Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high end tv on finance. where?

Options
  • 03-03-2005 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

im thinking of buying a new tv.
    32-36 inch widescreen, crt type thing , no plasma or rear projection or the like.

i wa sin town looking at tvs and they all seem to have a large lack of inputs, most seem to have a lot of there slots blocked in with plastic, ie not in use.
    in my experience this usually signinfies a lower grade m,achine, and im particularly looking for component input as well as numerous scarts,

100hz and progressive scan are also important, i think.
    basically want to get as high a grade tv as possible now to do me for the next few years.

anyone recommennd a good place to buy , without to strict a credit policy, that has good tvs at reasonable prices?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Component input on CRT is fairly rare. You will probably notice that many of the larger manufacturers are putting less time into crt in favour of plasma and lcd. There are some good crt still available - what is your budget?

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

around 1500eu to 1800eu

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Most shops do financenow (did, Dixons, Sony Centre) but as zepher says the inputs your looking for will be hard to find on a CRT, its pretty much Scart and RF only. The Sony range definately doesnt have anything other than Scarts, Rf and a front Composite, not sure bout other manufacturers.

For that type of money I would into getting a good plasma tv - obviously you wont get it here in Ireland for that price. Look at www.tvandvideodirect.com - they have great prices and deliver to Ireland for about £65. Look into LCD screens as well. I got my 36" crt from them.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Both the Toshiba 32ZP48 and the Panasonic 32PD50 have scart connections and also a component connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

have a look at richersounds.ie
    excellent prices, in belfast can deliver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

would you contemplate a rear projector tv
    for that money you could get a sony 44", 3 scart inputs, 2 of which are rgb
    I've had one for 2 years, not the slighest bit of bother
    Rear Pro get a lot of bad comments but these are from people that do not own one generally that just read rubbish about screen burn etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

slave1 wrote:
    would you contemplate a rear projector tv
    for that money you could get a sony 44", 3 scart inputs, 2 of which are rgb
    I've had one for 2 years, not the slighest bit of bother
    Rear Pro get a lot of bad comments but these are from people that do not own one generally that just read rubbish about screen burn etc

I 2nd your comments

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

bucks73 wrote:
    Both the Toshiba 32ZP48 and the Panasonic 32PD50 have scart connections and also a component connection.

I dont think so.

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Thank you Ciaran500.

I have looked into buying one of these TVs so I know for a fact they both have component connections. My links are for the 32 inch versions and Ciarans are for the 36 inch versions of the same TVs.

My bad

sorry for the lack of response guys ..

firstly thanks to veryone whos replied so far, ill be checking those links out as soon as the proxy gets lifted in work.

those two tvs you linked to, are they available in any shops you know around dublin?

the reason im trying to avoid plasma/lcd as i really dont like the picture on any ive ever seen.
    i also want a widescreen so i thin k that rules out most rear projection.

i need to buy it in a "real" shop as i have no credit card and would prefer to arrange finance.

thanks again and keep the advice coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Check out the Loewe range out in Harvey Normans. In my opinion Loewe make the best CRT TVs, but they tend to be a little pricier than most other main brands. You get what you pay for etc. I don't know if Harvey Norman do good or bad credit deals, but they are constantly battering us with ads for their credit arrangements, so maybe they have some kind of good offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Chalk wrote:
    the reason im trying to avoid plasma/lcd as i really dont like the picture on any ive ever seen.
    i also want a widescreen so i thin k that rules out most rear projection.

Why do you think that rules out Rear Projection? I would highly recommend the following 44" Widescreen DLP Rear Projection. Fantastic picture quality and it is almost like a Plasma/LCS in size. Unlike the huge lump of a TV you are going to get with a 36" CRT.

LG 44" DLP RPTV. Approx 1,810 euro delivered to your door from the UK.

i need to buy it in a "real" shop as i have no credit card and would prefer to arrange finance.

That is a real pity as you will probably pay over the odds for the TV and over the odds for the finance.

i cant see the link but arent rear projection tvs huge?
    my mate had one and it took up half his sitting room , unless im getting my tv types mixed up.

wrt to finance, i know ill get ripped off but such is life.
    not much i can do about it.
    rather have a nice tv that i paid too much for than a crappy one that i can afford to pay cash for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Chalk wrote:
    my mate had one and it took up half his sitting room , unless im getting my tv types mixed up.

The old style are big. This LG is not (apart from being 44"!)

lg8ib.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

check out the sony KF-42SX300 . its a 44-inch lcd rear projection. i saw it in the shop i bought my tv in for €2500-ish...

its not too deep either.

i have the panasonic 36pd30, great tv, all connections you will need except hdmi. 5 av inputs - four scarts and phono connections on the front. i have the pioneer 565 dvd hooked up to it with component and the quality is brilliant.

if you are buying in a "real shop" bring in finding nemo or monster inc. on dvd to use as a demo disk, preferably monster inc. the image quality of that movie is the best

Chalk wrote:

wrt to finance, i know ill get ripped off but such is life.
    not much i can do about it.
    rather have a nice tv that i paid too much for than a crappy one that i can afford to pay cash for ;)

tvs should be bought from savings not loans. if u cant afford to buy one in cash u cant really afford it imho.

thank you for valuable input.

i spent all my savings on stupid advice.

• Advertisement

I know millionaires with 29 inch sony non widescreen crts. u can buy a tv on 20% apr but the problem with that is in life u will buy other things 'u dont need' on finance and unless ur earnings pick up unfortunately the future would be bleak.

people need to learn to cut their cloth according to what they can afford

also the real APR is not whats quoted but usually the sets are overpriced so say u can buy it for 500 and they want 1000 and they say the APR is 19.9% the real APR would be 40+%. this is an old trick they play. if u really want one get a bank loan at 10% and shop around.

im asking for advice on tvs , i know what i can and cannot afford.
    now please stop replying in this thread as your wasting my time.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Mate any plasma TV you see set up in shops is nearly always going to look crap, I have gone from CRT to Rear profection to Plasma and the Plasma is by far the best without a doubt. I have just sold a Panasonic PW5 Plasma for €2220 on boards and the picture is amazing. You should go to a proper AV shop and get a demo dont bother with muppets like Dixons and Currys

yep none finer than the pana pw6. way better than any projection set or dlp setthe bulbs go in these and cost 350 euro to replace. i believe it was 7500euro when it was released a few years ago anyway branded plasmas have a failure rate of 3% at 3 years so are much much more reliable and the mean time to failure is in excess of 10 years average use. only problem with the pana is it lacks inputs. scart boards aRE 200 euro each and a tuner is 600euro.
    richer sounds.ie do em for 1900 brand new with 1 year waranty and do a 3 year warranty for an extra 190 euro.
    really is the best for the cash by far and away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So lads is there a major difference in picture quality of a rear projection over a normal 32 inch and plasma

I see the 44" inch rear projection can be got for about 1800 euro, you would not get a great 32 Plasma for the same price would you?

so for the same price you get a much larger screen, but do you really lose out on quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You would have to go into a shop and take a look for yourself. Whats acceptable to some might not be acceptable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah true it is different for everybody.

the only thing with rear projection is it does not have as high a viewing angle as plasma or lcd. rear projection, imo, must be watched at eye level and sitting dead straight at the centre, even a few feet to the side and the picture dissappears, thats in my experience anyway.

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

TCP/IP wrote:
    Mate any plasma TV you see set up in shops is nearly always going to look crap.....

This is something I alway find interesting. You walk into a shop and they have 4K+ plasma screens rigged up to crappy TV feeds and they look sh1t. Way to get someone to part with a load of cash.

I saw one place where they had the plasma linked to a PS DVD player. I have to say I was stunned by the picture. I have a reasonable CRT TV, a decent DVD player and some good SCARTS linking them. They were playing a movie I happen to own, I was shocked at how much better it looked on the plasma. This is how they need to be showing these screens, with DVDs or at the very least SKY or NTL digital.

I want one. Especially with the likelyhood of HDTV later in the year through SKY.

MrP

powercity in tallaght have loads, all rigged to high end sources like dvd players. they do look very well.

rear projectors are very expensive to run over their life time. with an average bulb spend of 200 euro a year. go for a branded plasma. there is none finer than the pana pw6 from richersounds.ie @1900euro. however a stand or bracket is another 170, a single scart board is 220, tuner is 600, 3 year warranty is 190,so it adds up. there is no better screen for the money and panasonic are the worlds largest plasma manufacturer.

actually if u can pick up an LG 42inch with the latest firmware you probably have as good a tv as u are going to get, as it has all the connectivity options built in, with teletext and a nice stand included. id say the best ud get it for is 2100. not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think it is important to remember that SKY will probably launch a HDTV service later this year. Anyone thinking of making a major TV purchase soon that thinks they may be interested in HDTV should ensure any TV they buy will be OK to receive and display the HDTV signal. A HDMI connection will be a must.

MrP

Advertisement