Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high end tv on finance. where?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

im not sure that that many plasmas are HDTV compatible tbh. i know the pw6 isnt and the LG isnt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

lomb wrote:
    im not sure that that many plasmas are HDTV compatible tbh. i know the pw6 isnt and the LG isnt either.

I know. That is why I mentioned it. It would seem that there are quite a few. You will see screen with HDTV ready stickers. There seem sto have been some confusion as some manufacturers have been putting the stickers on screen without a HDMI connection, this will most likely preclude these screens from receiving HDTV from SKY.

Main requirements will be:
    • Ability to display 720p and 1080i pictures.
    • Minimum of 26inch screen size.
    • HDMI connection (or DVI with a special cable)
    There is a good bit of info available on this on other sites.

MrP

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lads, so the rear projection would not be great when sitting looing that them from the side, that is fair enough, decision made, rear projection no good for me then

so you are looking at about 2100 euro for a decent 42" plasma, with tuner and scarts and bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

MrPudding wrote:
    Main requirements will be:
    • Ability to display 720p and 1080i pictures.
    • Minimum of 26inch screen size.
    • HDMI connection (or DVI with a special cable)
    There is a good bit of info available on this on other sites.

The HDMI/DVI connections must be HDCP compliant if they are to be Sky compatable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

rear projectors are very expensive to run over their life time. with an average bulb spend of 200 euro a year

so how many RPTV's have you owned?
    I have one 2 years, never a problem, good friend has one 3 years never a problem, mine is on from 8 in the morning till 11 at night, never replaced any bulb so please give more detail on your figures

Thanks lads, so the rear projection would not be great when sitting looing that them from the side, that is fair enough, decision made, rear projection no good for me then

Don't know where this comes from, it just is not the case, yes in the early days but simply not the case now. Do not rule RPTV's without having "auditioned" one with your own eyes. Best place to have a look at any on the tv's on this thread is in a persons home.

If Tony is still reading this thread, please reply with your findings

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote:
    rear projectors are very expensive to run over their life time. with an average bulb spend of 200 euro a year

so how many RPTV's have you owned?
    I have one 2 years, never a problem, good friend has one 3 years never a problem, mine is on from 8 in the morning till 11 at night, never replaced any bulb so please give more detail on your figures

Don't know where this comes from, it just is not the case, yes in the early days but simply not the case now. Do not rule RPTV's without having "auditioned" one with your own eyes. Best place to have a look at any on the tv's on this thread is in a persons home.

If Tony is still reading this thread, please reply with your findings

Yep one bulb @400 euro every 2 years, report back to me in a few months.

i have seen the latest DLP LG projector and although fantastic it is no plasma. viewing angles are a problem.
    nothing beats plasmas. the manufactureres push rear projectors as they are cheap to make and they have a steady income stream from selling bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The HDMI/DVI connections must be HDCP compliant if they are to be Sky compatable.
    Cheers! Forgot that bit.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

a projector needs replacement bulbs, a rear projection tv as far as i know doesnt. the sony tv i mentioned above is an lcd rear projection. i dont see how that would have a bulb inside (as the main picture generator anyway)

i could have just said the most stupid crap in life so correct me if im wrong, but i dont think rear projection tv's need bulb replacements.

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

My CRT type rear projection TV certainly does not require bulbs. I do not think the LCD and DLP rear projection sets require bulbs at all.

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/a/aarearprotv.htm

an lcd and dlp do require bulbs i am afraid i know this for a fact
    "A rear-projection LCD television basically works by passing a *powerful light source* through a transparent LCD chip made up of individual pixels (which displays the moving video image) and projecting that image through a magnifying lens, to a mirror, which then reflects that image, onto a screen."- from your link

the cost of an engineer fitting this bulb is 500euro but if u can open it urself u could do it for 400euro.

also the dlp has another weakness. it has a rotating micro colour wheel and unfortunately the motors have been known to fail on these or the connector to the colour wheel fails, resulting in 500 euroish repairs.

• Advertisement

My CRT type rear projection TV certainly does not require bulbs. I do not think the LCD and DLP rear projection sets require bulbs at all.

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/a/aarearprotv.htm

tell me the model number of ur tv, and if it is a non normal crt then it will require bulbs.

the bulb for the 44inch lg dlp tv which i was very impressed by bar viewing angles and the bulb/ colourwheel issues here is the bulb for it https://www.hotlamps.co.uk/avlamps/default.asp?Type=ITEM_DETAIL&Result=SUCCESS&Page=ITEM

price 273 stg, or 410euro delivered and one is needed every 2000 hours or so.

with the colour wheel rotating i would give the tv 5 years b4 it packs in for lunch. stats prove that name brand plasmas are far far more reliable, apart from anything else.

Advertisement