Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclock??? first attempt

Options
  • 03-03-2005 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I attempt to overclock my system last nite for the first time since i build it 6 months ago ,
    Mainboard is ABIt IS7-G , with P4 2.8g HT and 1gig of ram,
    Anyhow as this is my first time :o i had afew problems,
    the over clocking was the simple part had and 3.0g in no time , it was when i went to reboot i kept getting an error on boot up

NTLDR MISSING NOT FOUND

and the system just hangs ... any one know want this is or what causes it..had to give up my over clocking attempt and reset the cmos to get my system back up and running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Joeface wrote:
    Hi all,

I attempt to overclock my system last nite for the first time since i build it 6 months ago ,
    Mainboard is ABIt IS7-G , with P4 2.8g HT and 1gig of ram,
    Anyhow as this is my first time :o i had afew problems,
    the over clocking was the simple part had and 3.0g in no time , it was when i went to reboot i kept getting an error on boot up

NTLDR MISSING NOT FOUND

and the system just hangs ... any one know want this is or what causes it..had to give up my over clocking attempt and reset the cmos to get my system back up and running

it meens you oc'd too much and it isnt stable, just cuz a system seems to boot doesnt meen it stable at that speed, hope it didnt corrupt ur hdd, i had that before and had to format

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Joeface

no it didnt do any damage to the Harddrive.
    Just reset the cmos and she ran away as before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

just oc less if your going to do it again, what cooling you using cuz a 2.8 should easily reach 3.0 thats very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

what kind of ram and PSU have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's one of two things. A)Either the cpu needs more volage to go higher or B) your ram can't handle the higher speeds.

A) When overclocks become unstable it's usually because your still running at the stock voltage. You need to raise the vcore 0.25 at a time until it becomes stable. Prescott's are safe up to about 1.5-1.55 vcore. Northwoods to about 1.7. This is providing the temps stay below their safe levels. Ideally you don't want either processor going over 60c under load.

B) When you raise the fsb your overclocking your ram as well unless you use a divider. You will need decent ram to keep a 1:1 ratio with the processor. Good ram is pc3200 with low timings or higher speed than pc3200. If it's pc3200 with 2.5-4-4-7 timings then it won't overclock too well. Upping the voltage and dropping the timings will help raise it a bit further though. Most ram is safe and warranted until 2.8v.

Read some full tutorials while your at it.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Joeface

now thats the kind of reply i was lookin for .......:)

thanks bloodbath

Advertisement