Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richardson to be named Cork manager

• 03-03-2005 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Looks like Richardson is getting the job !
    Richardson to be named Cork manager
    03/03/2005 - 10:03:16

Damien Richardson is set to be named as Cork City manager in succession to Pat Dolan today.

Richardson will hold talks with chairman Brian Lennox this afternoon with a press conference provisionally pencilled in for tomorrow, should an agreement be reached for Richardson to return to the club he first managed between 1993 and 1994.

At that time, Richardson resigned having led the club to the second round of the Champions League and second in the League claiming the club lacked ambition.

But Richardson always admitted that he felt there was unfinished business at Turner’s Cross having gone on to enjoy a successful managerial career with Cobh Ramblers, Shelbourne and Shamrock Rovers.

“I would certainly feel I have some unfinished business from my previous spell there,” he said. “There is great potential at the club and the key is to tap into that potential.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

God help them, the man is a spoofer of the highest order. Him and Noel King on Sports Tonight, TV to die watching......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He's actually not a bad manager.

If all you are going on is the TV3 program, then don't. I think he eats a dictionary before he goes on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im certainly looking forward to his programme notes, though they will have to be good to surpass Dolans rants.

I think Damo is a canny manager who will trim the squad quickly, as there is alot of dead wood there. Hopefully he still has a few contacts who he can add to the City squad in places where pressure needs to be put on the first teamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BolBill wrote:
    God help them, the man is a spoofer of the highest order. Him and Noel King on Sports Tonight, TV to die watching......
    Here is a load of questions asked to him by members of foot.ie:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=21872

he knows his stuff.

City have beaten Limerick 3-1 in a pre-season friendly this afternoon. There was a full team out, apart from John O Flynn. George had a blinder. Kev Doyle got 2, and Behan got the other. Good team spirit on show.

Crisis? What crisis. City still have the same squad as last season, with the exception of Steve O Flynn who City have accpeted a €10k bid from Derry for. Good money for a player who made 3 first team starts last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dolan was on TV3.

Anyone see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I missed it myself, what had he to say?

Still not sure about Rico, he'll get Cork playing fantastic football and they'll probably win the cup but his teams have a tendency to lack the consistency needed to win a league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    Dolan was on TV3.

Anyone see it?
    Saw bits and pieces. Just about how much he loves Cork, etc, etc.

Slash/ED wrote:

Still not sure about Rico, he'll get Cork playing fantastic football and they'll probably win the cup but his teams have a tendency to lack the consistency needed to win a league.

He has more quality now at City than he ever had at his disposal before, and remember the squad he is inheriting is the same team that went 12 unbeaten at the end of last season (10 wins along the way).

Re the telly - Flynn said Dolan was his reason for signing the contract, George said there is 2 sides to every story, despite being hugely dissapointed, and Dolan said similar and thank you to all the fans and players etc.

gimmick wrote:
    He has more quality now at City than he ever had at his disposal before, and remember the squad he is inheriting is the same team that went 12 unbeaten at the end of last season (10 wins along the way).

I would dispute that. The mid 90s Shelbourne team that had the likes of Geoghegan, Sheridan, Rutherford and others was a very, very talented side. His record in the cups was great, a three in a row ended in the final by, of all teams, Cork, but he never took home a league title when he really should have done.

• Advertisement

And now he has players like O Callaghan, Doyle, Fenn, J O Flynn, Kearney, Gamble and Bennett, all of whom would walk into every other team in the country, with the exception of Shels, where there is very little between the two first 16s in terms of quality.

It will be interesting. I honestly dont know what to expect? Did Lennox jump to quick, should he and Pat have sat down and thrashed evrything out? Or is his decision the right one from a footballing point of view. We will all know that in the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Yeah, I seen Dolan on TV3. him going on about how much he loves cork blah blah...cue rant. There is more of him at 11:30 on TV3.

Its going to be intresting this season with Richardson. Cant see them winning the league though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Assuming Rico gets the team playing his way and on form its a good move.

Tbh when he was at Shels altho they unluckily lost out on league titles /me chuckles, that was the best shels team i ever seen. They played good football and todays team with its superstars wouldnt hold a candle to them.

Hope he does well would hate to beat an" under strength Cork team" with them having "new manager" and "new system" and" only getting it together now" as excuses.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Tbh when he was at Shels altho they unluckily lost out on league titles /me chuckles

We managed the odd cup win though if memory serves ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Slash/ED wrote:
    he never took home a league title when he really should have done.

Eh yeah well sorry about that but we wanted it more :D
    Slash/ED wrote:
    We managed the odd cup win though if memory serves ;):D

It was a fluke it flicked up of Eddies heel and sat there nicely for a 30 yard smash :mad:

kdjac

Advertisement