Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handgliding

Options
  • 03-03-2005 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Where you be the best place in Ireland north or south to go handgliding.
    Does it cost much?Can you fly on your own after the training?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Welcome to boards.ie :)The Irish Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association should be able to help you with all of your questions. I've been thinking about taking paragliding lessons so let us know how you get on.

Lenster Hangliding Club (link from the ihpa) provide lessons for €200, dunno about licenses but I'd imagine you'll need one before you can fly on your own.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've been thinking about giving this a go too. The IHPA that Evil Phil linked above have a mailing list you can ask questions on, they're a pretty helpfull bunch.

In terms of licensing I don't think there's an actual licensing scheme but you pretty much need IHPA membership to get insurance cover (both for yourself and any property you may damage upon 'landing'), and I think you legally need insurance to fly.

In terms of ability you probably don't want to fly on your own soon after learning. You'll always want to fly around experienced pilots, they can help you asses weather conditions and let you know when it's not safe to fly. Even when you're experienced it's still best to have people around in case something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Thanks a millon for that, I prob get to do one before the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

im also thinking of giving this a go ... if anyone has done this in dublin or surrounding area could they contact me

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Yep I've been thinking about this too, seeing as there's a few of us, it might be woarth us clubbing together and getting a group rate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement