Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU stop Intel grant aid

Options
  • 03-03-2005 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

The Examiner have missed the point on this one. The EU are not saying that grants should be concentrated in under-developed areas. According to a Commission spokesman on radio this morning, even if this was a project in a less-developed area they would still be looking at what the grant was aimed at. For the package to be cleared, Ireland would need to show the investments involve genuine innovation or creates a new product market. Intel is basically just a manufacturing plant – so wherever it was located its not going to be regarded as R & D or innovative.
    The upshot of this is a wake-up call that we need to do things like invest in improving standards in the third level sector and encouraging domestic innovation, and move away from the concept of giving grants for manufacturing plants.

http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/opinion/Full_Story/did-sg7VZ9Vl9YMiAsg0aewFBADppk.asp
    03/03/05
    Intel grant aid - EU attitude on funding a wake-up call
    EFFORTS have been abandoned to get the formal approval of the European Commission for grant aid promised for Intel’s €1.6 billion project to develop the next generation of microprocessors in Leixlip, Co Kildare. …….. The European Commission has essentially accepted that grants should be permissible to generate jobs in deprived areas that could not otherwise attract them. ….This should act as a Government wake-up call to place more emphasis on job creation in under-developed areas.

http://europa.eu.int/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/g24215.htm
    Member States must notify every case of regional investment aid if the aid proposed is more than the maximum allowable aid (EUR 75 million) that an investment of EUR 100 million may receive according to the scale in the table above. They may not grant such aid if:
    • the aid beneficiary accounts for more than 25% of sales of the product concerned before the investment or will do so after the investment;
    • the production capacity created by the project accounts for more than 5% of the market, unless the average annual growth rate of that market over the last five years is above the average annual growth rate of the gross domestic product (GDP).
    The Member States need not carry out these tests where they can show that the investments involve genuine innovation or create a new product market.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The upshot of this is a wake-up call that we need to do things like invest in improving standards in the third level sector and encouraging domestic innovation, and move away from the concept of giving grants for manufacturing plants.

Totally agree although the fact that the state subsidy goes against EU rules should not come as any great surprise to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Anyone expect to see the words "massive tax break for Intel" come into the headlines in the near future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I totally disagree with the EU judgement. I was quite pissed off. Hopefully the government will find a way around it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I totally disagree with the EU judgement. I was quite pissed off. Hopefully the government will find a way around it :)
    It does seem a bit silly as there doesn't seem to be a competition issue, the only other countries bidding for this plant were outside of Europe.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They are still going ahead with it and it seems as if they will also go ahead with a 65nm plant in Leixlip. This is routine upgrading that ALL Intel plants around the world have on a regular basis, for Intel the cash was only icing on the cake - it wasn't going to make a difference to their decision. They don't need us to pay for their fabs they have plenty of money of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

Well I am greatly disappointed by this decision. However, I kind of understand the logic behind it in a roundabout kind of way, i.e. Irish companies would not like to see other EU govts giving unfair state aid to companies to the disadvantage of Irish companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd understand this decision if there was a possibility of Intel building an extension to Fab 24 somewhere else in Europe, but seen as FAB 24 is in Ireland I don't think that would have happened!

The Sunday Business Post stated on sunday that this new building was the same size as Fab24 it certainly is not it's less than half the size, its only an extension.

This extension will create approx 400 full time jobs and the during the construction there is hundreds of people being employed. The government will get a lot more than 100 million back in PAYE tax alone over the coming years.

This decision just go's to show the control EU have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

The wake up call is from Brussels telling us how we can run our own economy according to rules which they dictate and to which we sign up to like blind sheep at every super state referendum. BTW Google, Intel, HP and so on aren't just "manufacturing plants".

It is what the people wanted though

It is what the people wanted though
    What is??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Daveirl, the majority of people working in Intel are very highly skilled and edcuated.

It is far from just being a manufacturing plant. BTW as far as I know HP also manufacture ink Cartridge's.

irish1 wrote:
    What is??

Greater control by the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The wake up call is from Brussels telling us how we can run our own economy according to rules which they dictate and to which we sign up to like blind sheep at every super state referendum.

Would Intel or a host of other multinationals even be here to contribute to the Irish economy without Ireland being part of the EU? Maybe, but its beyond simplistic to dismiss the EU on the basis of a decision going against us.

Greater control by the EU
    Oh right I agree I just meant it showed what kind of control they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ireland is in the EU, which means there is freedom of goods, workers, capital and movement within the EU, which is continental Europe and most of the surrounding States.
    What does this mean? Once in the EU there are no custom duties, unfair taxes or any protectionist regimes and you can employ skilled people from all over Europe with any hassle.
    What does this result in? Multi-national companies setting up here giving us employment. They come to the EU to enter the market, our labour force/grants are why they pick Ireland. They would never, ever come here if it wasn't for our membership of the EU.

You can't blame the EU for everything if it suddenly makes a decision against us, we'd be moaning if it was another country doing it.

I just don't think this decision is doing anyone any good, except maybe countries outside the EU like the US or Israel who could get further FAB contracts ahead of Ireland.

daveirl wrote:
    I just didn't agree that they are totally different from HP, BTW I am currently working in Intel for a contractor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

daveirl wrote:
    Exaclty. Having worked for Intel Ireland in Leixlip I can say that almost all of the activites that take place there are either directly or indirectly related to semiconductor manufacturing. There is a small software development unit that do work for external clients located there but otherwise everything is focused on shipping the right amount of wafers at the right time at the right price. Also, while people think that that size of an educated work force must mean R&D and other non-manufacturing activities, it doesn't in Intel.

Raw materials in plus processing, quality control, process management, etc equals manufacturing. It may be one of the most high tech plants on the planet but ultimately it exists to manufacture.

Of course I just didn't want people who don't know what happens at Intel to think that everyone is in a suit loading wafers into a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

irish1 wrote:
    I just don't think this decision is doing anyone any good, except maybe countries outside the EU like the US or Israel who could get further FAB contracts ahead of Ireland.

Yes and then they wouldn't be in the EU so they'd be paying tax and custom duties and there would be no restriction on discriminatory/protectionist taxes.

They don't come to Ireland for the 'high-skilled' labour, thats just the bonus.

daveirl wrote:
    Ironically the IFO (Fab 10 + Fab 14) facility is comparatively an even more expensive facility than F24 at 90nm/65mn as it's a full Class-1 cleanroom facility.

So if it is highly unlikely that Intel would pull out of Ireland because of the heavy financial commitment they made.... why was the Irish Government prepared to give your money to a comapny that is unlikely to pull out and is making a profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

dathi1 wrote:
    The wake up call is from Brussels telling us how we can run our own economy according to rules which they dictate and to which we sign up to like blind sheep at every super state referendum. BTW Google, Intel, HP and so on aren't just "manufacturing plants".

Hmmmm. Industrial policy is probably a better term for grant-policy than economic policy. For example, we still control our own taxes and still would under the EU Constitution. It is important not to confuse these issues.

I am not really very happy with this decision but it is kindof questionable if it even be described as an "EU decision", considering that the deliberations on it would have gone on another 18 months had the Irish Government not just caved in so soon. Who knows what the final decision by the EU might have been by then.

Ironically the IFO (Fab 10 + Fab 14) facility is comparatively an even more expensive facility than F24 at 90nm/65mn as it's a full Class-1 cleanroom facility.
    Keep that nose covered!! ;)

• Advertisement

So if it is highly unlikely that Intel would pull out of Ireland because of the heavy financial commitment they made.... why was the Irish Government prepared to give your money to a comapny that is unlikely to pull out and is making a profit?
    Simple, the Fab24-2 extension and Intel Ireland getting the first Intel 65nm fab outside the US was a huge coup. Intel will have a pretty good idea of their production schedules and order allocations for about the next two to three years. So, from when Fab24-2 opens you'll have a minimum of that level of future proofing. The obviously side effects are that Intel will keep the original part of Fab-24 going for just as long and that there is an overwhelming probablility that IFO will be revamped/retrofitted to take newer technologies and hence increased life expectancy.

In short they're not buying 400 new jobs, they're buying increased job security for about 5,500 existing jobs and adding 400 new ones.

Also, that money could just as easily have disappeared to Israel where Intel have Fab's with similar existing infrastructure.

Advertisement