Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are yorkies too chunky for women?

• 03-03-2005 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

just wondering what the general opimion on this is. i think it was brilliant when yorkie had the "not for girls" thing written on them, especially nowadays when everything is so politically correct. personally i think yes they are too big for handbags :D

are yorkies too chunky for women? 37 votes

yes, yorkies are a mans bar
    0% 0 votes
    no, women can handle the chunks
    62% 23 votes
    atari jaguar
    37% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I'm actually surprised that they are getting away with such sexist advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

memphis wrote:
    I'm actually surprised that they are getting away with such sexist advertising.
    :confused:
    You don't get bikini models draped over car bonets any more, but you do get both variants on this that are only slightly more subtle or else ironic post-modern versions that do still feature bikini models draped over car bonets (or cans of Lynx).

Chase & Sanborn can no longer suggest "buy our coffee or your husband will spank you" but how common is the little-wifey gushing with gratitude because her ungrateful brats will go as far as sitting down to shovel away whatever product she's cooked for them; that they might occasionally do the cooking themselves, or even thank her, is too much to ask. And in the world of fashion and "lifestyle" mags "buy our crap and your husband will spank you" or "hey, if you don't want to wear our clothes you can tie someone up with them instead" is quite okay.

And the bumbling incompetent that is tv-advert-land's model of husband and father isn't balance, it's the same ****. So are the shirt-fearing male bimbos from the "diet coke break" ads. Selling to both sexes by appeal to the gonads isn't progress, it's just the same crap twice.

When a company spends much of its advertising budget trying to undermine women's confidence in their bodies so they feel incapable of feeding their own babies and spend all of their income on a substitute that they may not even have clean water to use when making it up, that the same company jokingly playing at no-girls-in-our-treehouse when flogging their rather sickly choclate flavoured sugar and vegetable fat bars is pretty mild really.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, too chunky for girls, definitely :D

I have absolutely no idea what that was all about Talliesin, but I'm sure it makes some sense to other.

Anyway, I still think its a bit discriminating against the female population.

memphis wrote:
    Anyway, I still think its a bit discriminating against the female population.
    But why do you express surprise at that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure its the men who have a big chunky yorkie that the wimmin are interested in. Not the choccy...Anyone old enough to remember the original Yorkie TV ad?

Mike.

• Advertisement

If a gal can get her mouth around *cough cough*, then why is yorkie not for girls?

memphis wrote:
    If a gal can get her mouth around *cough cough*, then why is yorkie not for girls?
    Aparantly wanting something large and chunky that you have to struggle to get your lips around in your mouth is deemed to be a male trait by the Nestlé marketing department.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Bodan

lol

I just want to say Yes , yes they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

women can handle all the chunks, all the way!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

thafitz wrote:
    just wondering what the general opimion on this is. i think it was brilliant when yorkie had the "not for girls" thing written on them, especially nowadays when everything is so politically correct. personally i think yes they are too big for handbags :D
    Where is the poll option for: "People who put Atari Jaguar in polls are losers"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I guess Hash Boy didn't get his hash this morning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Speaking of how ads are aimed at certain genders, anyone seen the brylcreem ad with all the HOT naked dudes? Don't tell me that's aimed at heterosexual men. Now that's an ad I don't understand. Is their target audience girlfriends of all ages?

Girls can handle big yorkies, trust me I know....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

anyone tried the new mint yorkie? damm thats a good bar, i want one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Nearly every ad is sexist in some way, why? Because it plays off stereotypical roles of men/women to reach a larger target base.
    Don't like it?
    Get a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I resent that! Yorkies are the nicest bars going!
    And I dont carry a "handbag"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Its good advertising tbh,
    Lads will buy it because "Its not for girls" and Ladies will buy it because we all know once you tell a woman she cant do something the first thing she will try to do is the thing we told her she couldnt do

This is starting to turn into a battle of the sexes.

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement