Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostat for heat/water

Options
  • 03-03-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im looking to "upgrade" the thermostat/timer/immerision in my house.
    Right now we have the bog standard;
    - "Pin" Timer at the boiler.
    - Dial Thermostat in the Hall (will move it into Sitting Room)
    - On/Off/Sink/Bath Immersion in Hotpress

I saw a few "combined" Heat/Water ones in B&Q, is that just a matter of running the wires in the immersion down to the controller?
    Also there was a thermostat for the actual tank, i.e it seemed to shut off the immersion when the water got "hot enough", anyone know more about them?

Anyone got any opinions on what the best way to control water/heat is?
    Right now we are letting the heating heat the water in the morning/evening and the immersion is off...

Cheers!

<edit>
    While Im at it, the Rads in the Kitchen/Breakfast room and sitting room dont seem to be up to the job.
    There is a double one in the Kitchen/Breakfast room but its a pretty large space to only have one Rad, I think.
    the Sitting room has a single(half size) one that runs under the window and the room really needs to have the gas fire on to be warm (expensive).
    We are on concrete floors and the walls that we would want to put new rads on would have to be partition walls (other wall is the join to the neighbours) , whats the best way to do this, simply run them inside the partitions?
    Cheers again.
    </edit>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

GreeBo wrote:
    Hey,
    Im looking to "upgrade" the thermostat/timer/immerision in my house.
    Right now we have the bog standard;
    - "Pin" Timer at the boiler.
    - Dial Thermostat in the Hall (will move it into Sitting Room)
    - On/Off/Sink/Bath Immersion in Hotpress

I saw a few "combined" Heat/Water ones in B&Q, is that just a matter of running the wires in the immersion down to the controller?
    Also there was a thermostat for the actual tank, i.e it seemed to shut off the immersion when the water got "hot enough", anyone know more about them?

Anyone got any opinions on what the best way to control water/heat is?
    Right now we are letting the heating heat the water in the morning/evening and the immersion is off...

Cheers!

<edit>
    While Im at it, the Rads in the Kitchen/Breakfast room and sitting room dont seem to be up to the job.
    There is a double one in the Kitchen/Breakfast room but its a pretty large space to only have one Rad, I think.
    the Sitting room has a single(half size) one that runs under the window and the room really needs to have the gas fire on to be warm (expensive).
    We are on concrete floors and the walls that we would want to put new rads on would have to be partition walls (other wall is the join to the neighbours) , whats the best way to do this, simply run them inside the partitions?
    Cheers again.
    </edit>
    GreeBo,

This is what I did and it cut my oil consumption by 40% in one year.

I have my oil burner switch always on.

I replaced the dial thermostat in the hall with a digital thermostat/timer.
    This unit has 2 setpoints which are changeable. A low & high setting. Low setting is set at 18.5deg C and high setting at 20.5 deg C.
    The low setting is set to monitor temp between 7am-5pm and 11pm-6am.
    The high setting is set to monitor temp between 5pm-11pm. This is during the week...I vary it slightly for the weekend. It is programmable for every day of the week if you like.
    During the low setting, if the temp drops to 18deg C, burner ON, and switches off at 19 C. In the high setting it switches on & off at 21C - 20C. It basically operates 0.5 either side of the setpoint.
    And being a digital thermostat, it's more accurate.

During the summer, I don't use the heating so I switch the burner off.
    I have a digital timer in series with the mains power to the immersion. Immersion temp stat is set at 65deg. The timer in the immersion is a 7 day/24hr timer with 8 different settings for on/off. Immersion on in the morning and in the evening. Manual override if ou need to boost.

I bought both units in RS...I'll see if I can get the part numbers for you so you can look at them. They were about €50 each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I bought both units in RS...I'll see if I can get the part numbers for you so you can look at them. They were about €50 each.

I could do with these too.

What is RS?

Sorry guys....I've just had a hectic week. No TIME to get those partnumbers for you. I'll definately have them for you on Monday at the latest. RS = Radionics

www.radionics.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

The combined ones you speak of GreeBo dont open a Valve when you only want hot water so at times when you dont want to heat the house the valve is closed preventing circulation in the heating system and the water in the cylinder is heated by the burner.

Another thing you can do is use a thermostat or timer to control a valve and zone your house into upstairs and downstairs.

You can see the thermostat for your Immersion by taking the cover off your element where the cable enters. The temerature is set by turning a sloted circle with a screwdriver. It would already be set at the correct level id imaigne.

I would be very careful selecting any control equipment or extending the cable to your immersion.

The digital thermostat from RS is 407-5991 (€45.10 plus VAT)
    The 7day timeswitch from RS is 225-6126 (€62.30 plus VAT)

RS is located in Glenview Ind Est., Herberton Rd., D12

These units are a bit expensive but they have paid for themselves now many times over. There are cheaper alternatives out there in RS if you look. As far as what I have, the only thing I would change is on the thermostat and that would be for it to have 3 temp setpoints rather than 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement