Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile's email client on Meteor network

Options
  • 03-03-2005 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone on the Meteor network able to use their mobiles in-built email client to receive email over GPRS?

I was with O2 and it worked perfect. Switched to Meteor and have been on the phone a few times to their customer care and they had no idea. Have been sending emails over and back for 3 weeks in hope of getting a better response and just got a reply today that they don't support it!! Not sure if they are fobbing me off or if they really don't support it!

I've a SE T630, but model of phone shouldn't matter!
    I've GPRS Internet access enabled on my account and I'm able to browse the web from my laptop using bluetooth... don't see why I can't use this same connection to retrieve my mails to my phone!

Anyone??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, as you say you are set-up (provisioned) for GPRS ISP access, have you set up a new Data Account (in Connectivity - Data Comm) for the Meteor GPRS ISP access point? (details outlined in this sticky)

then with the existing email account have you changed the 'Connect Using' setting to the Meteor GPRS ISP Data Account rather than your previous O2 GPRS ISP one

are you getting any error messages?

I was with Meteor and noticed that although you can receive e-mail via POP3 you cannot send them. Meteor don't have a usable SMTP server so you're stuck unless you're using gmail or something that uses its own SMTP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have the following settings at the moment but when I try to get my mail I get a "Server not Found" message. It's bugging me as my email settings are the same as before, apart from the outgoing server, and the data account(from sticky) works ok when using the internet through the laptop.

Data Account

Profile Name: Meteor ISP
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    Other settings at default

Email Account

Account Name: O2
    Connect using: Meteor ISP
    Protocol: POP3
    Incoming Server: pop3.o2.ie
    Incoming Port: 110
    Mailbox: <username>
    Password: <password>
    Outgoing server: mail.mymeteor.ie
    Outgoing port: 25
    E-mail address: <username>@o2.ie
    Download: Headers only
    From Name: <Name>
    Signature: No Signature
    Copy Outgoing: Off
    Check Interval: Off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

jester77 wrote:
    I have the following settings at the moment but when I try to get my mail I get a "Server not Found" message.

Data Account

Profile Name: Meteor ISP
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    Other settings at default

Email Account

Account Name: O2
    Connect using: Meteor ISP
    Protocol: POP3
    Incoming Server: pop3.o2.ie
    Incoming Port: 110
    Mailbox: <username>
    Password: <password>
    Outgoing server: mail.mymeteor.ie
    Outgoing port: 25
    E-mail address: <username>@o2.ie
    Download: Headers only
    From Name: <Name>
    Signature: No Signature
    Copy Outgoing: Off
    Check Interval: Off

No Username or Password when using ISP.
    I have a T610 and am having the exact same problem "Server Not Found".
    The service is supported in so far as it can work(i.e. it works in the same way as using the GPRS ISP to connect your laptop to the net), and I have successfully opened my o2.ie email account using a Nokia 6230.
    I used the O2 SMTP though so a Meteor one is not necessary.

I havent had time to check into it much yet, but I will get around to it soon and let you know what happens.

Im going to try in some other handsets and see if it is specific to the SE's, they may simply require a slightly different configuration.
    Also intend to find out if and what the servers for MyMeteor email are.

you could try and manually enter the DNS entry, I have had to do this on occasion on some Sony Ericsson handsets in order to get the email client to find the given mail server...

The Meteor's DNS entries I get on connection to their GPRS ISP service are:

• Advertisement

you could try and manually enter the DNS entry, I have had to do this on occasion on some Sony Ericsson handsets in order to get the email client to find the given mail server...

The Meteor's DNS entries I get on connection to their GPRS ISP service are:

Excellent that worked... thanks a million for that biggrin.gif

I even asked them that in one of the mails that I sent them, quality customer support or what! Cheers once again...

Oh, just one quick question, when you download your mails onto the SE phone does your GPRS connection remain open? I would have liked for it to get the mails and then close the connection straight after, no big deal though!

hi, you can select Send & Receive on the main E-mail Menu and it will connect with the active e-mail account and disconnect after it has finished... you can also open the Inbox and select the top entry (looks like an up arrow) and it will connect and check for any new emails then leave the connection open while you go through the listed email subjects manually (handy when you have set to receive 'Headers Only' in the E-Mail account setup) pressing back (i.e. to the previous menu) will prompt you to Disconnect?

hi, you can select Send & Receive on the main E-mail Menu and it will connect with the active e-mail account and disconnect after it has finished... you can also open the Inbox and select the top entry (looks like an up arrow) and it will connect and check for any new emails then leave the connection open while you go through your the listed email subjects manually (handy when you have set to receive 'Headers Only' in the E-Mail account setup) pressing back (i.e. to the previous menu) will prompt you to Disconnect?

ah, excellent... thanks a million for the help!

hmm, just noticed that I can receive O2 mail but cannot send. I've tried smtp.o2.ie & mail.mymeteor.ie as the outgoing server but both fail on send!
    Do you know if there is a way round this or can I only receive?

I have a second email account with gmx and that sends & receives ok.

yeah (as Karsini mentions) - in this circumstance you have to try and find an open smtp server (or hassle Meteor for an/acesss to SMTP server)... the gmx one worked as it will likely open itself for a period after you check your email account with them

yeah, that's what I thought..
    Thanks for all the help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

I've got a Nokia 6020 with meteor. When I try to acess the email settings I get a message saying "No settings found, contact your service provider" Any idea how to configure it?

Also Push To Talk doesn't seem to be supported, unless anyone knows different?

Advertisement