Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Biggest seasonal club game?

• 03-03-2005 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Which of these is the biggest/best seasonal game?

biggest/best seasonal club fixture? 54 votes

Arsenal - Man Utd
    0% 0 votes
    Juventus - Milan
    20% 11 votes
    Barcelona - Real Madrid
    1% 1 vote
    Inter - Milan
    37% 20 votes
    Roma - Lazio
    5% 3 votes
    Arsenal - Chelsea
    0% 0 votes
    Man Utd - Liverpool
    0% 0 votes
    Boca Juniors - River Plate
    29% 16 votes
    Galatasaray - Fenerbahce
    5% 3 votes
    Celtic - Rangers
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

My heart is telling me liverpool vrs utd but in reality these days it must be barca vrs real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have only been to one of them so I picked Celtic v Rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What about Man Utd. - Chelsea?

It's really a matter of choice tbh!

Personally I'd go for Man Utd. - Arsenal (or at least that's the one I'd go for if they were all on at the same time, which I know technically is not possible but you know what I mean!! :o )

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic v Rangers is the best derby in the world, but i'll go for Barca v Madrid , 2 huge teams playing in the best league in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

On a personal level its Southampton vs Portsmouth but I'll go with United v Arsenal from this list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think the purely nationalistic element of Catalonia against Spain makes the Barca/Real match the winner by a mile. Under Franco, Barcelona matches were one of the few places where Catalan nationalists could freely speak their own language and get away with expressing their desire for an independent Catalonia. That mentality still persists today, especially as Franco was a Real supporter and the Catalans suffered pretty badly under his rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villa V Birmingham!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pats and Rovers.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Barcelona - Real Madrid

Not long now til the Bernebeu clash, 5 weeks or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Badabing wrote:
    Celtic v Rangers is the best derby in the world,

In terms of what exactly??? Athmosphere - maybe. Quality - Not a chance.

The big two games in Europe in terms of passion, athmosphere and skill are Barca Vs Real and Lazio vs Roma, though the latter is probably better known for its utter hatred and violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What is your definition of a derby? Real v Barca can hardly be called a derby in the sense of what i understand it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I should have been a tad clearer - Roam Vs Lazio is the biggest derby, but Real Vs Barca is the biggest game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I adore the Man Utd vs. City game, but the games against Liverpool and Arsenal are great games, I think the latter being hte best of the list for me, but I'm a utd fan.
    As a neutral I think Real Madrid vs. barca is a great game to watch

zaph wrote:
    I think the purely nationalistic element of Catalonia against Spain makes the Barca/Real match the winner by a mile. Under Franco, Barcelona matches were one of the few places where Catalan nationalists could freely speak their own language and get away with expressing their desire for an independent Catalonia. That mentality still persists today, especially as Franco was a Real supporter and the Catalans suffered pretty badly under his rule.

I've heard it suggested that that very divide between a lot of Spanish players is the reason why the Spanish team has underchieved at so many World Cup and European Tournaments.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

For me it is United V Liverpool. Arsenal V United games with all the recent issues is probably more of a grudge match at this stage. TBH if forced to make a choice I would rather lose to Liverpool than Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Either Boca V River or Barca V Real , I went with Boca V River but its really just a coin toss .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

The Liverpool-United game is a shadow of it's former self, it doesn't decide anything, it's a match with history, but not much else these days.

theCzar wrote:
    The Liverpool-United game is a shadow of it's former self, it doesn't decide anything, it's a match with history, but not much else these days.

Exactly.
    Sometimes I find myself wishing that Liverpool would become contenders again just so we can beat them, but that's not gonna happen!! (The contenders bit!!!)

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KdjaC wrote:
    Pats and Rovers.

Bohs and Rovers is bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

arsenal v united is just a grudge match as someone said

barcelona v real, especially with ronaldinho playin are epic matches! can anyone remember ronaldinhos flick to kluivert for a 2-1 win last season i think it was? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Bohs and Rovers is bigger.

Not too me.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Boca v River for me. A friend has been to it awesome game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

From that list i'd say the Milan derby is always nuts as is the boca - river games...

Cant believe Everton vs Liverpool isn't on the list. One of the biggest and oldest city derby games....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

From that list i'd say the Milan derby is always nuts as is the boca - river games...

Cant believe Everton vs Liverpool isn't on the list. One of the biggest and oldest city derby games....

Only had 10 spaces max, sorry

Advertisement