Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOHNNY says Gay marriage is a necessity for Ireland

Options
  • 03-03-2005 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Saw this on gaire.com
    johnny
    Gay Peer Action Charity (CHY15505)
    c/o Outhouse
    105 Capel Street
    Dublin 1

GAY MARRIAGE A NECESSITY FOR IRELAND

PRESS RELEASE

February, 2005
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    No Embargo

JOHNNY, the gay peer action charity has made a vital submission to the All Party Oireachtas Committee that is reviewing the status of the Family in the Irish Constitution. The submission appeals to members of the Oireachtas committee to put an end to the culture of hate and intolerance in Irish society that is fuelled by myths, stereotypes, and propaganda that have no rational foundation in fact.

In order to bring about equality, the group asks for the introduction of legislation that allows for a wider interpretation of the term ‘Marriage’ as used in the Constitution, and thus recognise Civil Marriage for same-sex couples.

The submission outlines the current injustice and discrimination that Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Transgendered (LGBT) couples experience as a result of the State’s prohibition of Marriage for same-sex couples. The lack of recognition has led to grave inequality in accessing State services and other associated benefits of which only State recognised married couples can avail.
    Consequently, the detailed submission argues that the State does not recognise each member of our society as equal; fails to acknowledge the diverse nature of the family unit; does not provide for the protection and well-being of every child; and has policies that do not correspond to the progress made across Europe and the World to end this discrimination.

JOHNNY is the leading LGBT voluntary peer education charity group on the island of Ireland; its primary aim is to promote health and well-being, provide services & resources to Gay & Bi-sexual men in Dublin and the greater Dublin area.

To view a copy of the submission please visit the JOHNNY website at www.johnny.ie or http://www.gayhealthnetwork.ie/folder/web/doc/Johnny_Oireachtas_SubJan05.doc etc ... JOHNNY is recognised as being a highly active and vocal advocate of the Gay and Bi-Sexual community and is an officially registered charity (CHY 15505).

Ends

For further information please contact:

Submission Group Project Manager, Pádraic Whyte: 086 6054654
    Johnny Chairman, Conor Coughlan: 0861093013
    It is a pity their submission is not made available in PDF format. Safer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It would have been of far more benefit to the community if they shared their submission in January besides press releasing this almost a month after the submission deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I agree with you. But of course "JOHNNY is the leading LGBT voluntary peer education charity group on the island of Ireland". Whatever good work they do, it's an élitist attitude. Our community is badly fragmented, and there is no coherent discussion and coordination.

The same goes for the ICCL seminar. I attended the first one, and was not contacted by the group about the second one. (As it happens I could not attend, but that isn't the point.)

I wonder if they did make a submission to the Oireachtas in time. If not, theirs won't be considered by that committee anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I guess same sex marriages is the way forward, but I can't see this little Island of ours legalising it in the near future anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

That's a helpful attitude. Do you believe it is because Irish people don't believe in fundamental fairness and human rights? Even if they don't, legislators may. And if they do not, Europe may make them. "This little island of ours" does nothing on her own. It's the people on it who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Yoda wrote:
    Our community is badly fragmented, and there is no coherent discussion and coordination.

The same goes for the ICCL seminar. I attended the first one, and was not contacted by the group about the second one ...

I wonder if they did make a submission to the Oireachtas in time.

The thing is the ICCL aren't even part of our community. They are a group that cares and works for every community to be treated as equals. Yet they are the ones that are most vocal and hard-working for civil partnerships and same sex rights. I also believe they sent in a submission to the Oireachtas.

I totally agree with their lack of communications with people but then they are, with a few exceptions, a voluntary group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I say it because I still feel that ireland is still very much young and ignorant about the whole idea of gays/bisexuals!

I'm all for same sex marriage, but I just don't see the Irish government legalising it any time soon. Just my opinion!!!!

Advertisement