Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a Car for Driving Test

Options
  • 03-03-2005 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I'll need to rent a car for the driving test but none of the car rental companies that I have contacted will rent to a provisional driver (on my 2nd provisional). I know the driving test centre will rent you a car for the test but that would give me no chance to get used to that car! Any suggestions anyone?

Many thanks!

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I'll need to rent a car for the driving test but none of the car rental companies that I have contacted will rent to a provisional driver (on my 2nd provisional). I know the driving test centre will rent you a car for the test but that would give me no chance to get used to that car! Any suggestions anyone?

Many thanks!

Nick

I think a driving school is your own option....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Many thanks,
    I'll call up a few tomorrow.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jhegarty wrote:
    think a driving school is your own option....

And go for an hour pre-test in the car with an instructor beforehand to iron out anything, and get used to the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

eoin_s wrote:
    And go for an hour pre-test in the car with an instructor beforehand to iron out anything, and get used to the car...
    Ah yes, nice one. I'll do that.

Thank you,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Most driving instructors will probably require that you do at least one pre-test lesson before they let you loose in their car alone.

One other thing to bear in mind is that between the price of a pre-test lesson, the rental for the test and the insurance fee required so you can drive the car unacompanied by the instructor, you'll have run up a tidy sum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Try and see if any 'local' garages rent cars (i.e. not a 'proper' rental firm). My local garage here in Cork rents cars - including to provisional drivers. Girl (prov licence) I know hired a 00 Punto from them for 25 euro per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Try and see if any 'local' garages rent cars (i.e. not a 'proper' rental firm). My local garage here in Cork rents cars - including to provisional drivers. Girl (prov licence) I know hired a 00 Punto from them for 25 euro per day.

I think there is some problem with the insurance a rental firm gives you if you are doing the test... i remember something on the wall of the test centre about it ..... can't remember the details though....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jhegarty wrote:
    I think there is some problem with the insurance a rental firm gives you if you are doing the test... i remember something on the wall of the test centre about it ..... can't remember the details though....
    Yeah, the test regulations say that if you have gotten the car from a rental company, you require a letter from the company explicitly stating that the car is insured for the purpose of the test.

Advertisement