Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Quote

Options
  • 03-03-2005 9:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Any chance of having a feature where we can multi quote? Bit of a bitch we cant quote more then one message (easily) in our replys!

- Sully
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thats awkward. Im talking about an easy way.

Just like Invision Power Board has it (no comments on if u like it or hate it)

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Use the square brackets [ ] at each end of the text you want to quote. Inside them write QUOTE to begin the quote and /QUOTE to end it. If you want to name the 'quotee' write QUOTE=appropriate name here inside the first bracket and the same /QUOTE in the end brackets. For example:
    hello
    Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    hello

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Forgot about this.

What i think should be "added" is another button beside quote, where u can click it for each post you want to quote, then reply and just add your comment underneath each quote.

Just talking about making it easier, instead of typing out all the quote codes and stuff over and over.. Just a suggestion!

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Sully04 wrote:
    Forgot about this.

What i think should be "added" is another button beside quote, where u can click it for each post you want to quote, then reply and just add your comment underneath each quote.

Just talking about making it easier, instead of typing out all the quote codes and stuff over and over.. Just a suggestion!

- Sully

There's a topic review at the bottom of the posting page. You can quite easily copy and paste the quote you need into your post

• Advertisement

steveland? wrote:
    There's a topic review at the bottom of the posting page. You can quite easily copy and paste the quote you need into your post

I know that -- im suggestion a "button" that does all the work for ya :) I mean why create a quote button when people just have to type out the code for it, enter the post, and close it?! Cause its easier - hence multi quote idea.

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

How would that actually physically work... like put a quote button next to each of the topics in the topic review?

steveland? wrote:
    How would that actually physically work... like put a quote button next to each of the topics in the topic review?

Nope. Its a simple idea (I think).

Ill do my best to explain it, hope you will understand!

Basicaly when you are viewing a topic such as this where there are several posts, and you want to quote 3 of those posts in your reply - at the moment you quote one, and add the BBCode / Post for the other posts yourself. Its time consuming and it could be made quicker and easier. My idea is, and its been done in other software such as Invision Power Board and its proven to be very sucesfull and handy (iv always requested it to be added to IPB before it came in V2), that beside the normal Quote button (which quotes one post only) you have the same button but labelled Quote +. Click that button on each of the posts you want to quote in your reply (all selected post buttons will changed from Quote + to Quote - -- could even get it to change colour to show thats been "multi quoted") and when done, hit the "Reply" button. The usal reply page opens with all the posts you wanted quoted, leaving a space between each one so you can make your comment on each quote. Eg.
    Test Quote 1

Test Quote Reply 1
    Test Quote 2

Test Quote Reply 2
    Test Quote 3

Test Quote Reply 3

And thats it. On browsing through a topic, you selected the posts you wanted to quote, when done, you clicked reply, then the usal page comes up with all the quotes with space to comment on each quote like I did above. Simple & Easy.

Its just an idea, and it would prove very handy for people on Boards.ie I think anyway.

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Or how about a feature that automatically bans people who quote entire posts instead of the lines he's responding to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've always been happy enough to just put in the code but if there was to be multi-quotes I think it'd be more flexible if you multi-quoted from the topic review. That way you could do a normal quote or reply, then type in what you want and then scroll down and find another post to quote, then type in more stuff etc...

Thanks :) I know it aint the greatest effor to put in more then one quote - your right, but my suggestion is making it that bit easier by adding this usefull button that does it all for ya. I mean, you have one quote button that saves time and hassle so why not add this? I think it would be welcomed by all imo.

As for the auto ban thing - i agree that it is annoying, but I cant think of anything to combat that. The idea you came up with could be a lot of hassle - who's to say that the post the user quoted is exactly what he wanted to respond to? Not just a sniplet of it?! :P I agree its annoying, I help out with a few scripts and often people quote a long post of instructions, when the fact is they only need say the first point of the instructions - i just report the post and get it snipped down. ;P

- Sully

Advertisement