Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants to be Taoiseach?

Options
  • 03-03-2005 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭

Just for a break from all the IRA threads... :P

While cooking my dinner this evening I got to thinking about how much unnecessary plastic packaging there was. Given that plastic is a non-biodegradable material, that it comes from a non-renewable source (i.e. oil) and that there are many renewable alternatives, it just seems totally stupid that we allow it's use in packaging for vegetables etc (particularly things like mushrooms that actually keep better when they can breathe) when we charge consumers for plastic carrier bags.

Well, that's one of the small pieces of legislation I'd draft if I were Taoiseach for a week: place a levy (payable by the producer rather than the consumer) on plastic packaging.

So, what small piece of legislation would you draft into being if you were at the head of the cabinet for a day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sleepy wrote:
    Just for a break from all the IRA threads... :P
    Oh yes please :D

Sleepy wrote:
    Well, that's one of the small pieces of legislation I'd draft if I were Taoiseach for a week: place a levy (payable by the producer rather than the consumer) on plastic packaging.
    Problem with that is the cost always works it way down the line to the customer and usually gets a bit added on as well ;)
    Sleepy wrote:
    So, what small piece of legislation would you draft into being if you were at the head of the cabinet for a day?

I'd go a stop further and ban all plastics from packaging.

But my main legilsation would be to abolish VRT, and introduce a method of road taxation that is dependent on the ammount of milage you do.

E.G. Charge a basic charge of €50 for every vehicle then another €5 for every 1000 miles clocked up. In addition charge cars €1 for entering city centers during 8am and 5pm.

Now I know this legislation is not perfect but I think it could be developed to make a very fair system that sees the main users of the roads pay more than less frequent users, it may help encourage people to use public transport.

I would also like to see electronic speed controls introduced, like the one used to control the speed of an F1 car in the pit lane.

E.G. when you pass a 50 km/h sign it sends a signal to the vehicle that forces it to reduce it speed and not break that speed limit, then when you pass the 80 km/h sign you can speed up to that speed etc. (BTW I realise the cost that would be involved, but you can't put a value on the hundreds of lives lost each year on our roads)

Just something I've always thought would help the transport system, I'm sure people will probably think there crazy ideas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Although there's loads of little bits and pieces I'd like to sort out, particularly on the telecommunications front, the major issue I'd like to tackle is justice. I'd strip the luxuries out of all prisons, leaving just the basic human rights; and I'd make sentencing guidelines a lot tougher for all crimes.

It's my firm belief that if measures like this were implemented crime rates would lower dramaticaly, albeit after a short initial period where people just didn't understand the consequences of their actions. With that in mind, to be fair, the sentencing guidelines could be increased year-on-year for an initial introductory period not more than three years.

IMHO all of this doesn't just make sense from a societal point of view, but also economically because in time there'll be a lot less people in prison, and they'll cost a lot less to keep there.

And ye call me a liberal. Pfff. Vote Dahamsta.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd agree with the essence of that Dahamsta but it's hardly something that can be achieved in a short period of time is it? I'm talking about the basic things that should be the day to day running of this country (i.e. fixing the mistakes that our useless court system and flawed legislation have allowed into the canons of this country) if only governments could conentrate on actually doing the job at hand instead of furthering their own (and their cronies) interests and playing at party politics.

If you don't think packaging producers and manufacturers would battle for at least a couple of years against your suggestion, I think a career in politics should be way down your list Sleepy. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If I were taoseach what would I do.

Well one of the things I would do to start with would be to re-nationalise the physical telephone and broadband network. after that eircom could buy and resel eirtime on a level playing field as the other companies in the market. This would generate revenue for upgrading the telecom network.

after that I would make the possession of chewing gum a crime punnishable by a lengthy prison sentence. anyone caught with chewing gum will be forced in chain gangs to clean streets during their sentence

I would remove pool tables and colour televisions from prisons. prisoners would be made work for a weekly allowance (enough for smokes and stuff) but not too much maybe €30 a wee, 80 fags is enough for one week i think.

the word concurrent would be removed from the statute books

Limerick would get its boundry extension as far as shannon to the north, adare to the west and newport to the east. the airport would be renamed to Limerick international Airport, and a deal would have to be worked out to encourage low fares airlines to begin trans atlantic flights (ryanair and the like)

I would ban cars from all city centres. only public transport would be allowed into major cities, with park and ride services on the outskirts.

I would also change the national anthem for something less militant to something which reflects the welcoming nature of the irish people. maybe luke kelly's song for ireland.

• Advertisement

Not much they could do about it really. Didn't take long for the government to pass the carrier bag levy, can't see my suggestion being any harder to implement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

irish1 wrote:
    I would also like to see electronic speed controls introduced, like the one used to control the speed of an F1 car in the pit lane.

E.G. when you pass a 50 km/h sign it sends a signal to the vehicle that forces it to reduce it speed and not break that speed limit, then when you pass the 80 km/h sign you can speed up to that speed etc. (BTW I realise the cost that would be involved, but you can't put a value on the hundreds of lives lost each year on our roads)
    how about if you are driving behind a slow sunday driver doing 20 in a 50k zone or 40 in an 80, you have the ability to send a signal to speed him up... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

If I was the teashop....

I'd bring in mandatory sentences for all sex offenders (10 years min)

Remove all long term unemployment benefit, if chinese students can get a job here why cant they

Strip the chruch of all its assets, sell them off and make the funds available to its victims

Ban the word "bud"

Change school start times to 1030 and finish times to 1545 and reduce the amount of school holidays

Introduce a proper complaints system for the Gardai.

Join NATO

Remove public sector unions

Get someone in the civil service to answer the goddamn phones!

Ensure all public places had proper disabled access

Sleepy wrote:
    Not much they could do about it really. Didn't take long for the government to pass the carrier bag levy, can't see my suggestion being any harder to implement.
    The carrier bag levy concerned just one industry, perhaps two: carrier bag manufacturers and carrier bag distributors. Manufacturers wouldn't have brought much pressure to bear because most carrier bags are imported from the far east these days. Distributors would have been a bit ticked off but there isn't a whole lot of margin in carrier bags, and there was an increase in alternatives, which cost more and have higher margins. Retailers didn't really care at all, because the cost was transferred to the consumer, they made a saving on the free bags they were giving out, and there's a few quid in alternatives.

What you're proposing is entirely different. You're talking about transferring the cost to manufacturers instead of the consumer, which is going to add up to a hell of a lot more than the tens of pounds consumers spend anually on plastic bags. You're talking about manufacturers cutting back on their packaging expenditure, which is going to cut into packaging distributor profilts. You're talking about increasing the cost of products, which is going to hurt both the supply and retail chains. And all of this is going to be in the hands of powerful lobby groups who know how to stymie new laws.

I can see the press releases from the lobby groups already: "Packaging levy will cost manufacturing industry millions, ultimate cost will be to consumers." It's a good idea like, but it won't fy through like the plastic bag levy. I could see it being caught up in debate for 2-3 years minimum.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Great Thread!

When I become supreme ditactor - sorry....if I became taoiseach :D

I'd bring all public schools under government control and make them non-denominational, if you want a denominational education - grand, but you pay for it!

I'd make it a requirement that developers donate (not sell at market value) enough land around new developments for adaquate schools, community facitlities (include a sports ground and swimming pool and library) for every 20,000 people. And i'd damn well make sure they were built.

I'd insist that TD's and councillors use public transport.

I'd get rid of free car parking in all government/ state and semi-state depts - that'd improve public transport no-end.

I'd build a rail link from the airport.

I'd ban Pat Kenny from TV and radio for ever!

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    The carrier bag levy concerned just one industry, perhaps two: carrier bag manufacturers and carrier bag distributors. Manufacturers wouldn't have brought much pressure to bear because most carrier bags are imported from the far east these days. Distributors would have been a bit ticked off but there isn't a whole lot of margin in carrier bags, and there was an increase in alternatives, which cost more and have higher margins. Retailers didn't really care at all, because the cost was transferred to the consumer, they made a saving on the free bags they were giving out, and there's a few quid in alternatives.

What you're proposing is entirely different. You're talking about transferring the cost to manufacturers instead of the consumer, which is going to add up to a hell of a lot more than the tens of pounds consumers spend anually on plastic bags. You're talking about manufacturers cutting back on their packaging expenditure, which is going to cut into packaging distributor profilts. You're talking about increasing the cost of products, which is going to hurt both the supply and retail chains. And all of this is going to be in the hands of powerful lobby groups who know how to stymie new laws.

I can see the press releases from the lobby groups already: "Packaging levy will cost manufacturing industry millions, ultimate cost will be to consumers." It's a good idea like, but it won't fy through like the plastic bag levy. I could see it being caught up in debate for 2-3 years minimum.

adam
    For every reduction in plastic packaging, there'd be an equivalent rise in alternative packaging methods. I'd predict large-scale moves back to more traditional packaging methods such as glass bottles/cardboard packets etc.

Honestly though, I suppose the same effect could be gained would be by introducing the recycling practices in use in Galway throughout the rest of the country (then we'd really hear the Dubs whinging!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I'd scrap VRT but put an extra 1% tax on petrol.

I'd make Pub Licences (beer/wine) available to anyone who wanted one. If the Govt can copy the NYC smoking ban then we can copy their approach to bars too. Lots of nice, small friendly places rather then binge-drink encouraging warehouse sized mega pubs.

Vote Magpie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Mandatory lessons on child-care and nutrition for all parents after the birth of a child.

Sleepy wrote:
    For every reduction in plastic packaging, there'd be an equivalent rise in alternative packaging methods. I'd predict large-scale moves back to more traditional packaging methods such as glass bottles/cardboard packets etc.
    Absolutely, but that means serious retooling and reorganisation of the supply chain, which is precisely why the manufacturers and distributors would try to hold up the process for as long as possible. They would also likely look for compensation for the process, which is another thing that will hold up proceedings. Again, I think it's a great idea, I just don't think it's the quick fix you envision. There are very few quick fixes in politics. In fact you'd wonder how long the plastic bag levy process took from suggestion to implementation.
    Honestly though, I suppose the same effect could be gained would be by introducing the recycling practices in use in Galway throughout the rest of the country (then we'd really hear the Dubs whinging!).
    Recycling has improved dramatically in Cork in the past few years, but even with that implementation has been horrendous. Waste disposal in Cork is not an issue we want to get started on though... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Fully Legalise Cannabis
    Legalise Ecstasy, Magic Mushrooms, APhetimines
    Decriminalise Cocaine and Heroine
    Make available free needles and free heroine if the user registered up to a counciling programme to help them off the drug.

Re-nationalise the psychical phone lines

Overhaul the entire primary, seconday curriculum and introduce free pre-school montasory style education up to the age of 7.

Legalise Abortion on a similar scale as France.

Make a year military service mandatory for all males that leave school.

abolish VRT

kick the USA military out of Shannon and kick the Us ambassador out of the park.

reintroduce capital punishment for the day and kill Michael McDowell, Aine Ni (nazi racist woman) and roy keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

nationalise all telecommunication systems

rescind the smoking ban

do away with neutrality and join NATO

campaign for a no vote in the EU constitution vote and veto Turkey's entry to the EU... and delay the remaining states entry for as long as possible.

Invest heavily in public transport- reopen the western rail corridor, extend the sligo line to derry, and put in a link to cavan. Scrap the NRA along with most of the plans for future roads.

get tough on petty crime, and have an open and reasoned debate on bringing back the death penalty.

i could go on for hours......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Sleepy wrote:

payable by the producer rather than the consumer

You cant do that, it depends on the elasticity of the market ofcourse, but generally a tax no matter who it is levied on it paid for by both consumer and producer. Its one of the surprising things I learnt in economics

You cant do that, it depends on the elasticity of the market ofcourse, but generally a tax no matter who it is levied on it paid for by both consumer and producer. Its one of the surprising things I learnt in economics
    True only if you're dealing with a perfectly free market which I'm afraid we don't live in.

landser wrote:
    i could go on for hours......
    You could go on for as long as you like, but until you come up with something realistic, all we'll do is laugh at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

I would amend the local government act, to facilitat the setting up statutory parish/community/town councils the country over and give them certain powers to deal with minor issues in the local area, as is the case in England, France, Switzerland and most of Western Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

thoguht we had that already,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

one additional thing.

you c**ts who ride horses in the city, your going down..........

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irish1 wrote:

E.G. when you pass a 50 km/h sign it sends a signal to the vehicle that forces it to reduce it speed and not break that speed limit, then when you pass the 80 km/h sign you can speed up to that speed etc.
    I like to make my own driving decisions, thanks. There are plenty of things I trust computers to do, and driving isn't one of them.

Your F1 comparison is interesting: last I heard, the pit lane speed limiter was a driver-operated control, and it's still the driver's responsibility to use it and not to exceed the speed limit.

oscarBravo wrote:
    I like to make my own driving decisions, thanks. There are plenty of things I trust computers to do, and driving isn't one of them.

Your F1 comparison is interesting: last I heard, the pit lane speed limiter was a driver-operated control, and it's still the driver's responsibility to use it and not to exceed the speed limit.
    Problem is OscarBravo, the decisions that drivers take on roads kill hundreds of people each year, I personally don't have any problems with my speed been controlled because I don't break the law.

Only people who speed would have anything to lose with the system I described, but hey how dare they try to get people to obey the law and save lives.

I think people's thoughts should be monitored and if they think of committing a crime these thoughts should be transmitted wirelessly to the Gardaí. Only people who think of committing crime would have anything to lose with the system I described, but hey how dare they try to get people to not think of committing crimes.

adam

lol good one dahamsta, pitty it isn't possible, as where my idea is very possible and would save lives.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irish1 wrote:
    Problem is OscarBravo, the decisions that drivers take on roads kill hundreds of people each year
    So ban driving.

The point you're missing is that the decisions that drivers take on roads prevent the deaths of hundreds of people each year. Decision making is one of the most important parts of driving, and - as I've said - I don't trust a machine to make my decisions for me.

I'm very happy to have a machine assist me in my decision-making processes. The speedo in my car is one such device, and a very effective one.
    irish1 wrote:
    I personally don't have any problems with my speed been controlled because I don't break the law.
    Me neither, as a rule. I'm quite happy to have my speed controlled by a combination of informational signs, measurement devices both in my car and in the hands of the police, and the threat of legal sanction.
    irish1 wrote:
    Only people who speed would have anything to lose with the system I described, but hey how dare they try to get people to obey the law and save lives.
    They already have measures in place to get people to obey the law and save lives. My objection is to measures that would force machines to obey the law.

Ever heard of the law of unintended consequences?

irish1 wrote:
    lol good one dahamsta, pitty it isn't possible, as where my idea is very possible and would save lives.
    It's not actually that far off being possible irish1. Can you say the phrase "slippery slope"? How about "Patriot Act"? "Camp Delta"?

adam

Oscar Bravo I think it is safe to assume the current measures in place aren't enough to stop people speeding.

I believe the system I described is workable,and would save lives. I might settle for a restrictor been put on vehicles that stop they from going above 80 mph but the problem with that is if you were to drive 80 mph on some of our back roads you would certianly be at risk of crashing into someone.

I'm not saying my idea is perfect, but I would like to see it tested.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    I believe the system I described is workable,and would save lives.
    Only if you're gullible enough to believe government propaganda that tells us speed kills, and not the starkly obvious truth: bad driving kills. Bad driving encouraged by that self-same government's woefully inadequate driving test system, I might add.

adam

Advertisement