Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pull in by the guards

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Running a red light isnt on the list of offences for penalty points so i dont think you should have to worry about getting points

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

shurl wrote:
    Was driving through Drumcondra last August, it was absolutly lashing rain, I was stopped just after the traffic lights waiting for the cars ahead to move. (heavy traffic) I let another car though to turn left into the side street, then I saw the cars ahead move so I went. However I was past the lights and didn't see that they had changed to Red!!. Anyway, Garda car saw this and pulled me over. I told him what happend he took my licence, went to his car, checked it and came back.
    So you were obstructing a junction / failed to stop at a stop line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Cheers for the advice lads.

Well went to court today. (Thanks Victor because of you I was waiting for her to mention obstructions :D )
    Garda told Judge that he HAD seen my licence so that was struck out.
    He seemed to forget that I called him and told him I produced my Insurance the next day. However I came armed with a letter from my local station confirming I produced all info the following day. :)

For the Red Light I pleaded Guilty. Said I was stopped past the lights saw the cars ahead of me move and moved on myself.
    All I have to do is pay a charitable donation of €150 thank god.!

Had the suit on and was all nice and respectfull so I'd say that helped!

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like a result in the circumstances.

Mike.

It was indeed.

She wasn't that easy either, she laid down some fairly nasty penalties while I was waiting.!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

shurl wrote:
    It was indeed.

She wasn't that easy either, she laid down some fairly nasty penalties while I was waiting.!
    I bet you were bricking it by the time you were up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gulp

i wouldnt worry bout it man.id say it was just a routine stop as much as anything else and you gave him a reason to stop you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chief--- wrote:
    Would you prefer all Gardai to operate to the letter of the law and exercise no police discretion?

It seems no matter what they do they are always in the wrong :)

Chief
    Well depending on who you believe 1/5 drivers don't have a valid license and 1/10 don't have insurance and this has been going on for DECADES.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I remember I dressed real nice for court, suit, shower, polished shoes. I was never in court before and didn't really know what to expect.

You always see skangers outside the forecourts, who are been done for shoplifting and whatnot, with no suit or nothing on them.

So, when i entered the courtroom, there was people all over the place, some people scrubbed up, some people not. At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what you look like, it's the crime you commit.

I got away free that day.

Caught speeding, didn't pay fine, recieved summons, then paid the fine(the women in the fine office let me pay it, and gave me a reciept), recieved letter from Dept. of Transport saying i had 2 points on my licence, went to court, they said i didn't pay fine(which i did), showed them my Dept of Transport letter and they said that it could have been for a seperate speeding offence, showed them my reciept which was dated before i recieved the summons, Guard appologises blah blah blah, thrown out and only 2 points on my licence.

I can honestly say, that the whole experience has effected my driving in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, when i entered the courtroom, there was people all over the place, some people scrubbed up, some people not. At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter what you look like, it's the crime you commit.
    I don't think so, but I can't speak from experience. The courtroom is meant to be a highly respected institution. Hence why Judges are called "Your Honour" (do they do this in Ireland), and why a person can be arrested for contempt of court. By turning up looking like a scumbag makes it appear that a) You have no respect for the court and b) You couldn't give a toss about the charges in general, i.e. you're a scumbag.

My 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think Judges are referred to as 'Judge' here

kbannon wrote:
    I bet you were bricking it by the time you were up!

:) You have no idea. The young fella before my was banned for 6 months
    had his licence endorsed and was fined 500 quid.

I can honestly say, that the whole experience has effected my driving in a good way.

Yeah was my first time in court so didn't know what to expect myself.
    It has definately affected how I drive. So it obviously works (for some) :)

S

kbannon wrote:
    I think Judges are referred to as 'Judge' here

Yup Judge it is.

Very nearly called her a "sir" though. Damn nerves!

S.

Advertisement