Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USI nominations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

EduCat wrote:

For first years who want easy paid work, though, can I recommend Dept. of Psychology projects? I made a few pound from them back in the day...

i did one of those, never again, she made me spit into a test tube and then rambled on about the freedom of infomation act, and if i didnt sign the disclaimer, i wasnt getting my 10 euro

( your god damm right i got my ten euro.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

EduCat wrote:
    The pleasant privileges of postgraduate study?
    i'm afriad i'm still an ug :)

crash_000 wrote:
    Its the SU boards / boards.ie cross posting - kinda getting a bit irritating

I just like coming on here and posting random stuff, not hack based stuff (with a few exceptions - posting about a council which I thought some people might want to know about being one). I flick through tcdsu.org as much as I flick through boards.ie, so yeah the doubling up of posts gets annoying - especially when some accusations are made about posts being deleted! Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

All this moaning about DUCAC, i didn't see anyone at all at the AGM oppose West. From what i can tell being involved with a few clubs none of them have any major issues with ducac(well the ones i'm involved with anyway) , all seem to have a good rapore. The body is responsible to the students, if anyone else here actually attended the AGM we were presented with some lovely powerpoint sildes and the ability to run against anyone on the board and to vote and so on. So really imo this moaning is completely unjustified, they might be grown up's but they do their job well.

ur just west's little bi*ch and we all know it.

and he is right i've never been to a meeting or spoken directly with tw. however tru my experience, they do not do their job tremendously well.

Kev wrote:
    ur just west's little bi*ch and we all know it.
    em, I've only ever talked to Trevor a hand full of times, but he's a nice guy imo.
    and he is right i've never been to a meeting or spoken directly with tw. however tru my experience, they do not do their job tremendously well.
    Why don't you run against him next year then kev?

• Advertisement

can we not boycot the usi or somthing?

well if we stick educat on it we could have a man on the inside, might actually do something then..

run against him? unless we talking about 100m i dont think i could beat him. i have a meeting with him soon and then i'll refresh my opinion on him. and i'll also ask who he thinks his no1 bitch is.

paddy cosgrave.....

run against him? unless we talking about 100m i dont think i could beat him.
    why do you think that is then? at least 90% of the people who were at the AGM were ug students from the clubs, if he was doing such a crummy job why unopposed?
    and i'll also ask who he thinks his no1 bitch is.
    Considering his use of computers i doubt he know's who i am if thats what you mean :)

• Advertisement

Do the GSU have any full time officers? Just the president? How long has this been full time if it is?

Does Educat (joe bloggs boards member) think they need more?
    Does the SU Ed. Officer think they need more?

such a crummy job why unopposed?

because he's a criminal mastermind

(he's not a criminal).

I would say, and i am speaking without any actual knowlegdge, that he would be one of the top political dogs within college. Also it is a crummy job no one else would want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Nominations closed today and apparently I'm unopposed - although what happens next is that they use a YES/NO ballot paper - similar to RON in normal elecdtions. So it's basically - do you want Daithí - vote Yes or No.

Which is (ever so slightly) intimidating!

i want a Daithí , can i have a Daithí ?

So then to recap :
    Alledged : DUCAC bad because students not enough influence
    Established : Students can have any level of influence they want
    They are choosing to let T. West and co run it because they don't want to do it and its work.

I miss anything?

Do the GSU have any full time officers? Just the president? How long has this been full time if it is?

Does Educat (joe bloggs boards member) think they need more?
    Does the SU Ed. Officer think they need more?

Just Pres at the moment. GSU is less than 10 years old. Vice-Pres is part time. In my opinion that position deserves full-time salary (has very very very heavy committee load and also tutor-like role for some PG students, esp. research students who only have their supervisor to turn to), but obviously the funding for that shouldn't come at the expense of other student orgs. I believe the GSU are working to get the funding directly from Trinity (i.e. on the grounds that PG numbers are increasing and that it's in the college interest to have a strong support network for PG students) and more power to them on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

G'wan Daithi :)

you still come and visit us when you're all big and USI'ish? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

crash_000 wrote:

you still come and visit us when you're all big and USI'ish? :P

yeah and we can vote to stop him from saying anything at council, :)

Db,

I think that is a very obvious mathematical simplification that is giving an inaccurate answer. Just because he's doing a job and nobody is opposing him doesn't mean it's a good job. Fidel Castro Anyone? (I know little of politics so I hope my analogies don't go too far askrew)

I think DUCAC are very old fashioned and conservative in their views. I think their stance on financial support comes from the idea, which clubs get most exposure and which clubs are the biggest traditions. TW represents DUCAC so imagine DUCACs views are a result of his views.

Luce hall is a dumb, and DUCAC have done little to improve this. I'm not saying it's DUCAC fault such and such wasn't built, I'm saying it's their fault for not maximising what we already have.
    The staff employed by Luce Hall, and I imagine intern by DUCAC, are generally, rude, stupid c*nts.

All you have to do is compare the sporting prowess of UCD and TCD and see the differences and that's conclusion enough for me.

yeah and we can vote to stop him from saying anything at council, :)

I won't come unless invited...and that's a promise.

(Assuming I win, of course. If I don't, you could be stuck with me as a postgrad student anyways!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Why are they allowed do that (i.e. have non student members)?

Well for example - I know at least one member of the rugby team is a DCU student who has a rugby scholarship from Trinity but isn't a student here. To be on the team he has to be a member of DUCAC, so he's got no relationship with Trinity other than to be a subsidised member of the College rugby team.

Roundtower2 - are you sometimes a bob?

The DU firsts have no obligation to play students of the college. It's up to them who they play.

good luck dathai!

cant see why you cant win....

look at ron, he lost every post this year...

EduCat wrote:
    Just Pres at the moment. GSU is less than 10 years old.

Whoa there Daithi - a rare slip. The GSU is older than the SU having been around for around fifty years - the SU less than thirty. The sabbatical president has been around for nearly ten years.

As for sabbatical postgrad officers - I'm not entirely convinced. Some years the sabbatical officer puts in super-human effort and does crazy hours, other years less so. However, leaving the work part aside, a sabbatical president pretty much means that anyone doing cutting edge research can't run because after a year out, their work will have gone stale.

aodh_rua wrote:
    Whoa there Daithi - a rare slip. The GSU is older than the SU having been around for around fifty years - the SU less than thirty. The sabbatical president has been around for nearly ten years.

That's what I meant - 10 years in current recognisable form, the question was about the sabbat position. There was student representation predating the SU (until 1975, it was the student representative council), this year is the 30th anniversary of the current incarnation, which is nice.

The DU firsts have no obligation to play students of the college. It's up to them who they play.

So do they pay the College for the use of our facilities if they involve non-College players? I know it sounds pedantic, but they get the DU name, use of College park, and whatever else our limited student resources can supply. And whether it's the firsts or the last XV, I presume DUFC stays the same DUCAC club. And, the guy I know has been on the books since first year when he may not have even been a regular on the firsts.

EduCat wrote:
    That's what I meant - 10 years in current recognisable form, the question was about the sabbat position. There was student representation predating the SU (until 1975, it was the student representative council), this year is the 30th anniversary of the current incarnation, which is nice.

Right - last factoid. The SU came about around 1975-76 when an organisation called the Democratic Student Front (real name) set up as a rebel representative organisation. The saw that the old SRC lacked sufficient independence from College, and as we had a few unreconstructed Marxists, Leninists and even a few Maoists around who wanted a change, the splinter group was formed and later became the Students Union.

The college wants to put out the best possible team. And with Rugby, you can't be competitive with players aged 18-22 ( i know students can be any age). Relying on the luck of the draw (general rugby scholoarships are quite miserly) of who enters tru CAO also leaves the club without a lot of consistency. Most of the players are current or recent Trinity students. So the club has taken the option of filling up vacant spaces with the best they can get. The club still represent the college so the fees make no difference.

if you ever watch the UCD eircom league team you'd be pushed to find a geniuine student. The Eircom League and the AIL don't force UL,UCD,UCC,TCD,QUEENS to pick students.

• Advertisement

Fair enough Kev - I can see the logic, but it's still a sham. I mean why don't we compete as Trinity rather than drafting ringers. Still - for the real students and armchair fans like myself it is nice to see Dublin University in Division 1.

Maybe the other bodies could do something similar - the SU President could be Kissinger and get TN edited by Kevin Myers.

Advertisement