Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USI nominations

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

aodh_rua wrote:
    I mean why don't we compete as Trinity rather than drafting ringers.

We'd suck, how many students do you think are actually decent at sports, or more importantly bothered going to training etc. I'd say it's between 5 and 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

aodh_rua wrote:
    Right - last factoid. The SU came about around 1975-76 when an organisation called the Democratic Student Front (real name) set up as a rebel representative organisation. The saw that the old SRC lacked sufficient independence from College, and as we had a few unreconstructed Marxists, Leninists and even a few Maoists around who wanted a change, the splinter group was formed and later became the Students Union.

Further factoid. We found a copy of the 1974 handbook by one David Vipond (Maoist), including revolutionary info, calls to radical action, speeches by Mao, and a drug section (although Vipond dissented in writing from the decision to include this as it was a bourgeouis distraction from the mission to liberate the working classes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

dont get me wrong. you need at least 30 players in your squad. I'm not certain but i'd say 20 are students at least. they don't play in a student league remember.

actually it seems like quite a majority thou the canadain prop isnt a student as far as i know.

http://www.dufc.ie/pages/about/profiles.msc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

We'd suck, how many students do you think are actually decent at sports, or more importantly bothered going to training etc. I'd say it's between 5 and 10%.

Hmm - maybe that's because we're a university with a rugby club not the other way round.

I am somewhat playing devil's advocate here, but only because I'd say that most students are oblivious so where's the benefit.

Exactly, if it were a student only league, but it's not so why have students only, when others can up the quality immensely.

• Advertisement

EduCat wrote:
    Further factoid. We found a copy of the 1974 handbook by one David Vipond (Maoist), including revolutionary info, calls to radical action, speeches by Mao, and a drug section (although Vipond dissented in writing from the decision to include this as it was a bourgeouis distraction from the mission to liberate the working classes).

I *borrowed* that by accident when I left House 6. I discovered it in a filing cabinet in the Dep Pres office and dropped it back to Katie towards the end of last year. A good read though - he was a Maoist and the Deputy President was the other end of the spectrum which makes it a schizo read.

Exactly, if it were a student only league, but it's not so why have students only, when others can up the quality immensely.

Why 'exactly'? The logic would surely be to compete in a student league rather than contribute university resources to allow some random punters with some skill to play in the AIL.

I'm not certain but i'd say 20 are students at least
    Students - but the profiles don't say where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

well u can't do BESS anywhere else. lol. lot's of bess guys.

Ok, lets cross reference with ppl finder.

I'm not going to do that cos I know most of them are students here. I think you should write to DUCAC and ask them what their policy is exactly.

look, i cant say im the most knowledgeable when it comes to rugby, but it would seem to me that it's fairly popular in college ( take a look around the pav any night of the week ).
    Why take away the spectator's enjoyment of the game by lessening the quality of it.

• Advertisement

Not that many people go to AIL matches in general - nowhere near the crowds at the Heineken Cup or Celtic League games - so I presume DUFC matches are no different. I'm sure there are spectators, and they deserve their fun, but in an era of belt-tightening where services are being cut we need to watch who's paying. That said - I'd imagine the rugby club are pretty good at securing finance and unlike every other branch of College they probably get to keep it too.

To save Kev a trip to the people finder Jamie Heaslip is down as studying business. It neglects to point out that it's not in Trinity. He is a very good player though, so it's in the national interest to give him match experience. He'll be Ireland No. 8 in the not too distant future. Maybe Trinity are showing they're patriots afterall!

<so this is how these late night posting-binges happen - well I'll be>

aodh_rua wrote:
    Maybe Trinity are showing they're patriots afterall!

That's too little too late, to be honest. It's still rugby for god's sake. Until the gaa teams are treated with as much respect as the rugby / soccer folk i'm still not happy with the college as a whole, though recently i'm finding that people are accepting all those irish language motions without hesitation. I want to see more of that.

Until the gaa teams are treated with as much respect as the rugby / soccer folk i'm still not happy with the college as a whole

Now you've hit the nail on the head. We've got non-Trinity types on the rugby team while our footballers train in the Phoenix Park getting changed in a ditch. I am as big a sports fan as the next guy, but it's this double standard that gets my goat. Why concentrate on one team's success, rather than spreading it around so that as many students as possible get the best they can.

Anyway - a pleasure as always chaps - I'm off to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

That's too little too late, to be honest. It's still rugby for god's sake. Until the gaa teams are treated with as much respect as the rugby / soccer folk i'm still not happy with the college as a whole, though recently i'm finding that people are accepting all those irish language motions without hesitation. I want to see more of that.
    True. It could be echoes of TCD's past (monarchy, Britain and all that), and I'd like to see more nationalism (the good kind) myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

EduCat wrote:
    Just Pres at the moment. GSU is less than 10 years old. Vice-Pres is part time. In my opinion that position deserves full-time salary (has very very very heavy committee load and also tutor-like role for some PG students, esp. research students who only have their supervisor to turn to), but obviously the funding for that shouldn't come at the expense of other student orgs. I believe the GSU are working to get the funding directly from Trinity (i.e. on the grounds that PG numbers are increasing and that it's in the college interest to have a strong support network for PG students) and more power to them on that...

A tactic for this would be to request a small percentage of the research grants that college receive (and Postgrads are involved in) to be used for expanded PG services ONLY........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

aodh_rua wrote:
    Roundtower2 - are you sometimes a bob?

yep! excuse the stupid names!

Advertisement