Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mark V Golf

Options
  • 04-03-2005 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Anyone here driven one / own one? Observations? Good/bad/indifferent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Lovely to drive, much nicer than the IV which is also lovely to drive. Nice power in the 1.6 FSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

very nice car lovely to drive driven most engine types. da petrol are good da diesel is amazing. take a test drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

da diesel is amazing

Yeah, I keep hearing people rave about the diesel ones. Why better than the 1.6 petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very good resale value.
    Avoid 1.4 75bhp if you want to use it for overtaking. Body is too heavy for 1.4 and fuel economy suffers.
    Expensive compared to rivals but as stated resale value is better than most.
    TDi diesels are the ones to go for.
    Options list is long and can end up being very expensive for what is standard on other rivals.
    Reliabliity is generally good but it's reputation is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I bought the 1.9 TDI mark V sportsline and its the best car I have driven in a long time. Very solid on the road. Handles great. Loads of power in the car. The last car I had was petrol and I would never go back to petrol. I got the climate control on the car as extra and I would recomend getting it if you have the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Downtime wrote:
    Lovely to drive, much nicer than the IV which is also lovely to drive. Nice power in the 1.6 FSI.

You mean the rolly poly IV??? :eek:

Not a fan of the Mark IV I take it? ;)

I'm going to try and arrange a test drive next week, I'll let you know what I think

I just happen to test drive one yesterday. A friend of mine is buying a new one and I went with her. It was a 04 Sportline we test drove. It looks well put together and drives fine but the 1.4 is slugish in that heavy car. I wasn't gone on the interior but then again I am comparing it to my own car which is probably unfair. The titanium look on the doors is a nice touch but the dashboard is very basic even in Sportline trim imo. My friend liked it anyway so she is buying one.

I should probably start a new thread for this, but any thoughts on the Saab 9-3 while we're at it?

The current Saab 9-3 uses the same running gear as the Opel Vectra. GM bought Saab a couple of years ago and share the same platforms and engines. IMO Saab have lost their way since then and are no where as good as the old 900 Turbo of the 1980s.

The 9-3 did redeam itself recently by getting the 1.9 common rail diesels from Fiat/Alfa Romeo. They have a couple of versions of this engine and they are the pick of the bunch imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my 2004 Mark V Golf Sportline, 1.4L, 17" Alloys.
    Class car. I've never had any problems overtaking people, contrary to the other speed demons in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

mrbungle wrote:
    If anyone is interested, I'm selling my 2004 Mark V Golf Sportline, 1.4L, 17" Alloys.
    Class car. I've never had any problems overtaking people, contrary to the other speed demons in this forum.

have u tried the autotrader to shift it? , if u are serious about selling it u will need to get an engineers report on the car, even though it is only a few months old, and the price needs to be very very good. people generally wont part with the guts of 20grand for an unknown entity, where there is a perception they can lose all their money when for few grand more they can buy a brand new one or get a used one with the safety a dealer provides.

i know a guy who bought a nissan xtrial new 6 months ago for 35grand, and went to trade it against a new golf gti, and they said they werent interested in his trade in. he took the xtrial back to the original nissan dealer and he said hed ofer him 26grand cash for it. i believe he is taking it......and accepting a 9grand loss in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

It's on cbg.ie
    I've had 3 offers so far. 2 last week, 1 for 20,000 which fell through on sat, (the guys wife had a problem with the brakes in the car, believe it or not, when she pushed the pedal the car stopped !?!) and another guy who is still interested, waiting to sell his car, which should be a week or 2.

Also, why would I get an engineers cert ? It's always been a buyers perogative to sus out the car. It's in perfect working order imho.

Too bad about you mates Nissan, I asked a VW garage if they would give me a price on my car and they politely told me to pi$$ off.

loc.ie gave me a price of 17,250, more than 6,000 less than I paid for it, soooo: I politely told him to pi$$ off.

Advertisement