Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the next big Broaband move in Ireland

Options
  • 04-03-2005 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

As a person who used to have broadband and then moved house and can no longer get it as i an now 8Km from the Swords exchange and have line of sight to nothing but trees i'd be interested to know what people think will happen in the future to extend BB range in Ireland or even when/if it will happen.

For example, i've heard a lot of talk about WIMAX but that seems to have fizzled out.

Is there any hope apart from satellite (the route i don't want to go).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

pollyantic wrote:
    Is there any hope apart from satellite (the route i don't want to go).
    The only hope from satellite is low-orbit satellite. There was some talk about that five or six years ago but very little since. The current geostationary satellite solutions will always have severe latency problems which nullify many of the benefits of broadband.

Some DSL technologies can stretch to 8km but you will not see the speeds enjoyed by those closer to the exchange.

See if www.IrishWan.org have nodes in your area. If not, then see if there are people in the area interested in broadband. If there are 20-30 people then you might be able to work proactively to bring proper broadband to the area. Avoid companies that use satellite for backhaul unless that is what you want.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As far as I know, Low-Orbit satellite is off the menu, strangly enough because of the unusual activity of the sun last year. The region that those satellites were meant to be placed into was flooded with radiation and would reduce the lifespan of a satellite beyond the point of economic viability.

Although, pollyantic might just be interested in the supposed upgrade of the dsl thats apparently happening. In that case, this topic might be better off in the Broadband forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

get into dublin and cut down those trees ;)

Yeah a community Wireless network is always a good idea. You will all pay less per month and prob have about 5 mbs with no cap once everything is set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Just out of curiosity if dsl technology is limited on copper, what’s the name of the technology that runs on fiber and has it any limits. I know it will be along time before we get it residential but I would just like to be ready when it does arrive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kenped

cubix wrote:
    Just out of curiosity if dsl technology is limited on copper, what’s the name of the technology that runs on fiber and has it any limits. I know it will be along time before we get it residential but I would just like to be ready when it does arrive :D

Not beeing 100% sure, but the fiber optic is just getting developed as a broadband service. We just now seeing that telecom is using it for normal telephoneservice , but they arent 100% sure of what the limitations on broadband would be,, since its hasen't been launched a product with broadband(fiber optic).

Again, haven't researched this, but i'm quite sure of my statements.

Btw,, on copper the limit now is Adsl 2+ which runs a cool 24 mbit (yes megabit) down and 1,5 mbit up :-)!!

Just launched in Norway!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

mmm, ADSL2+ eh? I'd be happy with just ADSL at the moment. Soon, hopefully.....

Advertisement