Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which gear?

Options
  • 04-03-2005 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I'm learning to drive at the min and was doing really well with my instructor so last night I went out with my dad and everything I did was wrong (aparently). So to settle an argument... if you were going from a main road, where you weren't driving that fast in 4th gear and you want to turn into an estate on the right side of the road, you know you don't have to stop completely cos there's nothing coming either on the main road or from the estate.... which gear would you turn into the estate in? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

2nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

u could prob do it in 3rd but i failed da test for that before so 2nd is the correct answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I was taught to always turn corners or roundabouts (assuming you didn't have to stop going onto one) in 2nd.

So who was right, you or your dad. I'm putting money on your dad cause I know two people that've done lessons and neither were taught to drop to second when turning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yeah my dad, damn. Don't think I'll let him know though lol. My instructor told me 3rd for roundabouts where I don't have to stop and 3rd for turns where I don't have to stop. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah 2nd is the way to go. when you pass your test though you're allowed to around corners in 3rd, drive with one hand on the gearstick and not use your mirrors. It's a sort of graduation present ;) I'm joking of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

all things being equal (i.e. you are driving a standard car) i would say second..

but you always have the option of driving an automatic..

Who was the instructor out of curiosity? (I presume mentioning his name is not libel as this is something angeldelight was told to do)

I go with Mini Driver (www.minidriver.ie) and I've found the two I've had with them (one was the owner) to be great. Tell them I sent you. Won't get you any money off, but sure tell them anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Yep! 2nd gear would be best.

The way I used to judge it when I was learning was:
    • 0-10 - 1st
    • 10-20 - 2nd
    • 20-30 - 3rd
    • 30-45 - 4th
    • 45-60 - 5th
    Using this ya cant go wrong, also if the engine is reving too low, drop a gear!

ISM guy in Maynooth. I'll ask him at my next lesson! I hate when my dad's right

You'd hate it a lot more if you'd failed your test because of it, even oldies get it right once in a while :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Dad's are generally right.. That is till a certain age anyway.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

2nd, unless you were taking the corner at more than 30mph.... then there's a different discussion to be had.

If you came to a complete stop. 1st... (just sayin')

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Generally to maintain control in case of the need for a sudden change in speed or direction 2nd would be the best. you cannot always be sure that the way is going to be clear!
    I go with Mini Driver
    I'd go with Minnie Driver myself!
    driver_minnie.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Def second - struggling to think of a reason for 3rd(offiically that is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

My auto 300zx drops to 2nd, so 2nd must be right, :D
    But really it is 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

Actually While We Are On The Subject Of Turns...
    I Heard You Shouldnt Change Gears In The Middle Of A Turn.. But Where I Live There Is A Junction At The Bottom Of A Hill (well Slope)
    So If You Wer In Your Test And You Went From 1st To 2nd Whilst Turning Due To The Hill Would You Fail???
    Or Should You Ignore The Nasty Noise From Your Car Till Turning Is Complete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

if you have a rev counter anything between 2000 and 3000 would be sufficient enough.. it's probably going to be a 90 right or left so i reckon second...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

funkyniff wrote:
    So If You Wer In Your Test And You Went From 1st To 2nd Whilst Turning Due To The Hill Would You Fail???

Why would you change 1st to 2nd because of a hill? :confused:

Generally, don't change until the turn is completed - but then again, don't accelerate up to 100,000 rpm in 1st while you're turning either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

funkyniff wrote:
    I Heard You Shouldnt Change Gears In The Middle Of A Turn
    You should never change down a gear in the middle of a turn, but its perfectly acceptable to go to a higher gear around the bend. It makes sense, dropping a gear takes longer as you have to brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

You should never change down a gear in the middle of a turn, but its perfectly acceptable to go to a higher gear around the bend. It makes sense, dropping a gear takes longer as you have to brake.

I wouldn't advise it on a race track though .. eh hem.. but that's another thread... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The theory is that if you change gear whilst turning you are not fully in control as you have only one hand on the wheel.

Ok, I think my instructor uses boards lol jut back from a lesson and everytime we were turning or coming to a busy roundabout he said 2nd where normally he would have said 3rd!

Ok, I think my instructor uses boards lol jut back from a lesson and everytime we were turning or coming to a busy roundabout he said 2nd where normally he would have said 3rd!
    Ha! Everyone should have kept quiet until he replied saying 3rd so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

dads know best,next time u ar turning there,try fifth and pull the hand brake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

funkyniff wrote:
    Actually While We Are On The Subject Of Turns...
    I Heard You Shouldnt Change Gears In The Middle Of A Turn..
    At low speeds you shouldn't need to change gear in a turn anyway. At higher speeds you definitely shouldn't change on a bend/turn. All cars, but particularly front wheel drive cars (which naturally understeer) need to be driven into a bend/turn. Changing gear on a bend lets a car coast and take the path it naturally wants to - against the direction of turn.

You must have a fairly low geared third in whatever car you are using to comfortably make right turns at low speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'm learning to drive at the min and was doing really well with my instructor so last night I went out with my dad and everything I did was wrong (aparently). So to settle an argument... .... Thanks :)

No idea, I was not driving.
    However, generally (as my mom taught me), change down before the turn, so you can accelerate through and out out of the turn, whatever the radius of the turn.

Otherwise, you need to keep your rpm above ~1200 and possibly below 5000 and at a point whereif you booted it, the engine would not shudder, stall, ping, and has some acceleration left, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Yep! 2nd gear would be best.

The way I used to judge it when I was learning was:
    • 0-10 - 1st
    • 10-20 - 2nd
    • 20-30 - 3rd
    • 30-45 - 4th
    • 45-60 - 5th
    Using this ya cant go wrong, also if the engine is reving too low, drop a gear!

The way I was taught (for test purposes)
    Move off in 1st
    Manoeuver in 2nd
    Drive in 3rd and 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

In the test, the best way is from 4th straight to 2nd then turn in. I find this is horrible though and usually go 4th --> 3rd and then 2nd if i need to. Of course in the test that will be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

Borzoi wrote:
    The way I was taught (for test purposes)
    Move off in 1st
    Manoeuver in 2nd
    Drive in 3rd and 4th

okay but if you are stopped in the middle of a junction waiting for a gap in oncomming traffic so you can take a right and the junction is on a slope /hill.
    do you wait till you have compleated the turn till you go up to 2nd gear??
    it just my car is really noisy (kind of of putting )
    and my boyfriend always says you sould get out of 1st as soon as you start moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

okay but if you are stopped in the middle of a junction waiting for a gap in oncomming traffic so you can take a right and the junction is on a slope hill.

This came up before:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=229264

The long and short of it is you should always have both hands on the wheel when performing a turn.

Now making that turn right from a junction is a real sticking point. Technically, to complete the turn perfectly you should not have to change gear. The car should either go into 2nd before the turn is started or go into 2nd straight after the turn is completed. Doing this in practice though is tougher than it sounds! :)

After the discussion thread I tested my gear change in a number of situations (on the stillorgan dual carriage way, N class road turns, etc). And found I could complete the turns successfully without changing gear. Admittely when I stayed in 1st the car would rev to about 3.5k (its a petrol car) before it was straight again. But I don't consider this excessive for my car (not on a redline of 8K) or most family petrol cars. So this fact of drive does take a little more practice but should be achieveable.

Advertisement