Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling your own house

Options
  • 04-03-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Has anyone here ever done this? Is there much to it? Seems fairly straight forward to me but I just wanted to get some feedback of what to expect if anyone has any experience with it.

any advice much appreciated

thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

Just sold mine.moving out next Wednesday or Thursday.All i did was go to an estate agent.He came here,measured the rooms had a look round,took some notes and a photo of the house.Possible buyers then come to view the property and if they like it they put a deposit on it and it goes to the solicitors to sort it all out.That was how it was for me,might have been different for others.BTW,for roughly 5 hours "work" the estate agents fee including VAT at 21% is E5,200.I'm still waiting for the solicitors bill.Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Sold mine without an agent. Couldn't justify forking out 6k for something I could easily do myself. Got a sign made up with mobile on it, put it in the garden and it was sale agreed in 5 days. Got 5k more than exact same house 2 doors up which was sold by an agent. I have done this 3 times over the years. It's so easy and you are in total control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Well done JNealon, I have heard about that going arse-ways before though, not the negotiation part but chasing contracts etc... Id say the best bet would be to get two or three estate agents up to value your home, dont go by who says its worth the most, go for whoever impresses you the most. Where abouts are you selling yourself?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OP
    if you are going for an estate agent, shop around - they will charge you more if they think they will get away with it.
    I am selling my place at the moment - I rang one estate agent and asked what their charges are
    they said 1.25% plus 300 advertising fees
    I said I can get it for 1% elsewhere, they straight away dropped to the same percentage.
    I got 1% plus vat and no extra charges

always remember
    estate agents are the scum of the earth, it's an insult to leaches to call them that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Beruthiel wrote:
    always remember
    estate agents are the scum of the earth, it's an insult to leaches to call them that!

Thats very harsh B, they are providing a service, as from your other post, if someone comes in with a higher bid all they can do is tell you, at least you have an oppertunity to go higher. How to know if they are telling the truth? Well they have to, if you really feel they are lieing and you have the highest bid then just leave it and they will come back to you. Your other point, if your property is just on the market, it might take 2 months or more to sell, then if the people buying it have to sell there own this could add a very long closing date, so all in all the vendor could be waiting 4 months for the sale to close. An estate agent acts on the vendors behalf and has to keep them informed, the vendors of the property you are after might not have found a place yet but they obviously want a secure closing date. Buying property is one of the most stressful things you can do, its very easy to blame the estate agent but its not them driving up the prices. People can be greedy when it comes to selling there home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have no knowledge of anyone mentioned in this thread.

How to tell an estate agent is lying? His mouth is open.

Advertisement