Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S60 D5

Options
  • 04-03-2005 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    first post...

Does anyone own a Volvo S60 of any kind but more specifically a D5 version? What spec have you and how do you find the car? I'm thinking of buying one cos they are pretty affordable second hand, but I'd like to find out if they are worth the bother? Is the 2.4 D5 engine, powerful enough? Does it handle well? Are the seats comfy?

Thanks,

AlanD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It's a 5 cylinder and very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

It's a 5 cylinder and very noisy.

not really what I'm looking for. I know it's a 5 cylinder, I'm looking for real world info on how people like the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

AlanD wrote:
    Hey there,
    first post...

Does anyone own a Volvo S60 of any kind but more specifically a D5 version? What spec have you and how do you find the car? I'm thinking of buying one cos they are pretty affordable second hand, but I'd like to find out if they are worth the bother? Is the 2.4 D5 engine, powerful enough? Does it handle well? Are the seats comfy?

Thanks,

AlanD

The S60 D5 is a brilliant car for being a little different. The style is unique (if you like Volvo's current range) and the ride is smooth and competent. The D5 is very torquey from low revs and builds strongly as the revs rise but the manual gearbox needs to be worked hard to make fast work of back roads (I had an S80 auto for a while before and found it more relaxed, but the handling was nautical rather than surgical). The seats are VERY comfy, the light coloured leather interiors are inclined to scuff up quickly, try and get black leather. You will eat a set of ZR front tyres in under 8k mls if you use it hard, but it is putting a lot of power and braking through the front wheels and this is the price you pay.

As for your 'Is it fast' question, what do you currently consider fast? Its faster off the line than many mid-size petrol saloons, will corner like a monorail due to the handling set up and will exceed 110mph with ease. Test drive one and see if you think it is fast....

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Thanks for that. I guess my "is it fast" question should actually ask, "is it slow". I'm wondering if it is a bit of a let down for standard driving. In real world situations when you're looking to whizz past that slow car, has it enough grunt to get you past it without much hassle.

We were about to buy a new S40 2.0D and was well impressed with that, but I noticed that I could pick up a secondhand S60 D5 for a lot less money. I'm sure the S60 is a lot bigger inside and might be more comfortable too. This will be our main car so will be used for long distance driving so wafting along is what we are looking for. So I'd be more in to the auto and ensuring it has cruise control.

I'm dying to go drive one, but I'm in a cast at the moment so can't, but trying to gather positive and negative info while I'm out of action.

Actually....strange question. Are the headlights any good? I was going to get the S40 with bi-xenon's cos I drive a lot at night and would appreciate good headlights. I'd avoid a car with bad headlights, so that could be a deal breaker.

Advertisement