Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My exhaust is a funny colour !

Options
  • 04-03-2005 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

What would be making my exhaust go white, filled up the tank yesterday and noticed when i got home my exhaust is fairly white like white smoke and the exhaust is usually not visable in day light at least.

Car is running fine sounds the same, could it be the petrol or maby low on oil or something like that ?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oooooooh! White smoke is not a good sign as a rule. It usually indicates a blown head gasket, the white is from oil and coolant mixing. Check to see if you can spot oil in the coolant header tank (it'll be a film floating on the surface) and look inside the oil filler cap for "mayo".

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How long was the drive you took - are you sure you are not just seeing condensation smoke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh yeah, better ask this - petrol or diesel?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

its petrol, i drove a fairly short distance and noticed it when i was opening the driveway gate thought it was weird then saw it today and knew it was a bit weird. Usually i never see my exhaust unless its really cold etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

White "smoke" with a cold exhaust is to be expected. So first heat it up well. Then if you still have white "smoke"... it's steam, probably from a blown HG.
    or inlet manifold gasket, if it's a carb with an inlet heater channel fed directly off the head water jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

are any of them things i need to be really really worried about ?!? im hoping to trade it in against a newer car in a few months time is it likly to cease up before then or anything ?!?

Obviously just looking for general idea not expecting a blind diagnosis from anyone, for all i know its been like this forever and im only coping it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Hard to tell. You did not confirm if the "white smoke" is only when cold or always?.
    and is the "white" smore of the color of the ash on the inside of the exahust pipe (tail pipe)?.

OTOH, if it has been exuding while smoke for months.... surely you have noticed it needs water regularly?. If not... Then oil perhaps?. and it's prpbably not while but blue.

An engine that is not using (loosing) water or oil on a grand scale is unlikely to run plumes of white or blue smoke.

and/or the oil or water is mixture of oil and water.....
    so get some better details on your engine fluids.

Including the brake fluid... cause a leak of brake fluid into the vacuum booster could also cause "smoke" as well as pretty poor brakes.

PS, what year/age and make/model/color vehicle are we addressing anyway.

Advertisement