Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vga to tv

Options
  • 04-03-2005 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

has anyone used one of these

What did they think? Is the image quality much/slightly better than the s-video out of a gf card ? Does it solve problems like motion blur ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

hey

im constantly trying different ways to get pc onto tv. ive never heard of this thing and i dont have experiene with it. but correct me if im wrong - wont you need to have your pc fairly close to the tv? if this is the case why not buy yourself a 3d graphics card from komplett and use the tv out at the back of that. you can get a v. decent one for about 50 yo yos.

what ive been using is a video sender - aldi were selling them recently. I find it invaluable. you can use it to broadcast video and audio anywhere in the house from any source including your pc -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

at the moment I am using a gf 4 mx and its tv out - but there is a bunch of motion blur when the camera pans quickly - like during a footie match. I though a vga to tv converter might solve this but i dont know and so was hoping someone has some experience using one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I've used one of those Trust models, and it is shockingly bad quality. Avoid it like the plague. I actually tried two or three alternative brands, and they were all crap. The quality will be worse than the TV output from your graphics card.

The only proper outboard VGA to composite convertor I've used that has been worthwhile was this one but it's quite expensive, around €500 or so. It's designed for professional and broadcast applications.

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

Most of them converters have v cheap components and hence the not so great quality. The best best way of connecting your pc and tv is to make a cable with a regular vga connection on one end and a rgb scart on the other. Regular vga cable actually uses the very same signal as the rgb on scart tv's. You still have the issue of distance here as you need to run the physical cable from pc to tv.

If you have a newer tv (mostly lcd and plasma) you can buy a vga to component adopter from ati. Its only available in the states, so you can get it shipped across or head onto ebay i'm sure you'll fnd one there.

Back to the vga to scart cable if anyone wants to know to make one i'll post a guide. I don't think they are avialable in the shops. The main thing you need is a bit patience and have a steady hand for the soldiering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Back to the vga to scart cable if anyone wants to know to make one i'll post a guide.

I'd be interested :)
    Regular vga cable actually uses the very same signal as the rgb on scart tv's

Why does a tv-out on a graphics card have a decode chip then ? Surly it would be cheaper for graphics card companies to just supply this cable rather than spend the money on decoder chips ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

True but remember firstly that s-video was around first when this whole tv to pc thing was taking off around 5/6 years ago, therefore allowing a greater number of people to connect up pc to tv.

The more important issue for graphics card manufactures is scart and rgb are european only. There is no scart connections in th US and they where first introduced to rgb over component. Therefore I presume its cheaper to design a card that can be sold all over than different connections/cables.

I'll post a guide tonight or tomarrow, I'm not at home now and I just want to have the wiring diagrams so I don't tell you wrong. I have a radeon 9800pro and it works fine for me.

Advertisement