Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney and Ronaldo to be best in the World

• 04-03-2005 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

"Fergie hails duo
    Friday March 04 2005

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo to become the best in the world.

The youngsters have been major influences on United's current Barclays Premiership charge that has seen them record 14 wins in 16 games, with victory at Crystal Palace tomorrow closing the gap on leaders Chelsea to just three points.

Such has been the pair's improvement over the past three months, Ferguson is convinced they will eventually go on to rival Ronaldinho, the man he famously missed out on, as the finest player on the planet.

``We are very fortunate to have these two young players,'' he said.

``They are both in fantastic form at the moment and along with Ronaldinho, I think they will become the best players in the world in a couple of years' time.'' " From Football365

Is Sir Alex talking through his Knighthood or is there any truth in this, for what its worth on the form that they have shown recently and considering how young both are I think he could be onto something. Best in the world may be going a bit to far of course but there is no denying they are too Fantastic players to watch and if they develop well should be very exciting in a few years time.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Just giving them a bit of praise like all good managers do. There are times when managers should be critical and times when they should praise them. I think his timing is spot of for this bit of praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The amount of money spent on them would be hoping that they will be the best in the world :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

even if both of them do deserve to go into the ugly footballers of the world first 11 team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Keano_sli wrote:

with victory at Crystal Palace tomorrow closing the gap on leaders Chelsea to just three points.

Can this guy see into the future or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

For the transfer fees paid I would hope they end up to be the best in the world... Mind you, I still reckon he would prefer to have Ronaldinho and Robben over the two he has now..

• Advertisement

Just realised, imagine if they had of signed the two of em along with Duff.. Ouch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

I would have loved to see ronaldinho at united, the guy always has a smile on his face even whe he's been hacked to pieces. Would have been a great addition to the Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

For the transfer fees paid I would hope they end up to be the best in the world... Mind you, I still reckon he would prefer to have Ronaldinho and Robben over the two he has now..

whose to say Ronaldinho would have been a great player in the premiership
    its alot different than the spainish league
    Ronaldinho would get hacked every minute

and Ronney will become one of thy best a Ronaldo [the fastest feet in the west] will in time come great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

even if both of them do deserve to go into the ugly footballers of the world first 11 team :)

Eh what the hell are you talking about? Christiano Ronaldo is not ugly you bloody bat! He is far from it.

Who's to say Ronaldo will become a great player in the premiership? He hasnt exactly been awe inspiring now has he..

• Advertisement

I would take Ronaldinho over Ronaldo in terms of ability yes.

Who's to say Ronaldo will become a great player in the premiership? He hasnt exactly been awe inspiring now has he..
    hes only 19 give him time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

haha i do not know why this is splashed over the newspapers

he paid 40million+ for the two of them of course there gonna be bloody fanatstic players

Ronaldinho is close to the finished product, and is 26 if I'm not mistaken.
    He is now considered the best player in the world.

Ronaldo is now 19/20? Give him 6 years to develop, then see if he is the best player in the world. I'd put money on him being up there though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

cheesedude wrote:
    Eh what the hell are you talking about? Christiano Ronaldo is not ugly you bloody bat! He is far from it.

Suits you sir!

seansouth wrote:
    Suits you sir!
    lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ronaldo is now 19/20? Give him 6 years to develop, then see if he is the best player in the world. I'd put money on him being up there though

Ill eat my hat if ronaldo is still at utd in 2 years time. He wants a new contract already and fergie is having none of it. Plus there are an awfull lot of factual stuff coming up in portuguese newspapers with regards what happens in the dressing room etc. No guesses whos spreading the word there.

To top it all off keane is not supposed to be a big fan of him..far from it from what i heard!

So no he wont be anyhere near the best. Ronney ill make my mind up about him next year however he is pormising if he plays his game and sorts out his temperment.

Hope its a tasty hat.
    He said he didn't want a new contract, it seems like you've been reading too much tabloid ****e.
    Watch Keano in the game next time you see a united game, see how he encourages and applauds Ronaldo and Rooney encouraging them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

jank wrote:
    To top it all off keane is not supposed to be a big fan of him..far from it from what i heard!

i remember seeing keane shrug ronaldo off with a scowl on his face when he was running to celebrate his last goal against birmingham, poor ronaldo looked estatic for keano.. but he 'was havin none of it' as usual!

i suppose he isnt into all that portuguese hugs and kisses kind of thing!

seems like you've been reading too much tabloid ****e.

Oh please what do u take me for. Have u heard of Richard Kurt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jank wrote:
    Ill eat my hat if ronaldo is still at utd in 2 years time.

That could be Boards next charity fund raiser. I'd definitly pay to see that. ;)

Fergies just giving the youngsters a gee up fo the run in.

it's true that Keano was giving Ronaldo a rought time earlier this season but Ronaldo's game and distribution has improved of late and I noticed Keano congratulationg Ronald on one of his recent goals. The problems there appear to have settled.

Rooney is different class and If he develops to his full potential he will be one of the best english players of all time. I have no doubt about that. He is the nearest thing to Shearer and IMO is better than Shearer at the same age. I can't pay the guy any bigger compliment than that.

To those saying United spent 40 Million so they should have World Class players , indeed they should but it does not always pan out that way. With these two I believe it will.

The Muppet wrote:
    That could be Boards next charity fund raiser. I'd definitly pay to see that. ;)

Fergies just giving the youngsters a gee up fo the run in.

it's true that Keano was giving Ronaldo a rought time earlier this season but Ronaldo's game and distribution has improved of late and I noticed Keano congratulationg Ronald on one of his recent goals. The problems there appear to have settled.

Rooney is different class and If he develops to his full potential he will be one of the best english players of all time. I have no doubt about that. He is the nearest thing to Shearer and IMO is better than Shearer at the same age. I can't pay the guy any bigger compliment than that.

To those saying United spent 40 Million so they should have World Class players , indeed they should but it does not always pan out that way. With these two I believe it will.
    on the another thread you were saying united paid to much for Ronney
    what are you like :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would pay to watch Ronaldo simple as that, thats about as big a compliment as i could give him.

Rooney is very good but badly needs RVN or similiar player to play alongside playing on his won isnt giving him the service he needs. Would expect him to be Englands best ever sometime in the future too.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

snoopdog wrote:
    on the another thread you were saying united paid to much for Ronney
    what are you like :p

To be precise I said "another goal for that over rated waste of money Rooney".

Work it out yet?

Here's a hint for you,:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Rooney & Ronaldo are the two best players in their age group in the world at the moment.

Ronaldo excites the crowd every time he gets on the ball you just never know what he'll do next, he's full of confidence and is never afraid to try something new. With fergies help I think he'll be one of the best midfeilders in the world even better than Beckham was on the right for united.

As for rooney every knows what he can do and again with fergies help he can be anything he wants to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Rooney has shown (and IMO has) the potential to be one of the worlds best. He has shown that enough times this season so far.

Ronaldo isnt, plain and simple. A couple of goals in his last few games have papered over the cracks of a very poor season. He loses the ball far too much.

If he played for Liverpool he would get so much stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Can this guy see into the future or something?

lol
    cheesedude wrote:

lol
    is there something you want to tell us? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Keano_sli wrote:
    with victory at Crystal Palace tomorrow closing the gap on leaders Chelsea to just three points.

The sheer arrogance of this statement is beyond belief. Seems as though the little clubs might as well give up without trying.

Is this quote taken from somewhere or did you write it yourself?

[edit] sorry just saw it on the football 365 website, now why doesnt that surprise me [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4300423.stm

tbh even the odds for a palace win are massive.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Still, that article doesnt even entertain the fact that Palace could possibly get something from the game. "With victory tomorrow closing the gap..." - ridiculous.

Plus I'm sure there were high odds on Man City picking up 4 points against Chelsea this year, Arsenal failing to beat Southampton twice, etc...

easy guys, you're misinterpreting what the article means
    it means a potential victory over palace

who the hell would ever assume they would just win...heh
    who'd have thought southampton would beat liverpool 2-0 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

"with victory at Crystal Palace tomorrow closing the gap on leaders Chelsea to just three points."

I don't see anything wrong with saying that. With victory against Palace they will be 3 points behind Chelsea. People are just interpreting it wrong. A bit sloppy journalism though.

PHB wrote:
    Ronaldinho is close to the finished product, and is 26 if I'm not mistaken.
    He is now considered the best player in the world.

Ronaldo is now 19/20? Give him 6 years to develop, then see if he is the best player in the world. I'd put money on him being up there though :)

Ronaldinho is 25 the 21'st this month. Still a young guy. I believe Ronaldo can be up there but whether he will be as good as the big R...I don't know. He still has a lot to proove. Having said that, Ronaldo is playing for a huge club the age of 19. Ronaldinho was still at PSG until he was like 23.

LOL how wrong were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

dceire wrote:
    Ronaldo excites the crowd every time he gets on the ball you just never know what he'll do next, he's full of confidence and is never afraid to try something new. With fergies help I think he'll be one of the best midfeilders in the world even better than Beckham was on the right for united.

that lad who travels around grounds does tricks at half time does all that aswell, does that mean he will be world class, hardly.

Ronaldo will never be as good as beckham at crossing. Beckham could never dribble like ronaldo, but that didint matter, he would still get a super cross in most times. Even when ronaldo beats his player, he crosses are usually woeful.

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    LOL how wrong were you.
    Jank, that was sorted above. :)

Do you remember beckham at 19? his crosses weren't anywhere near as good as they are now.
    You get better as you get older!

PHB wrote:
    Do you remember beckham at 19? his crosses weren't anywhere near as good as they are now.
    You get better as you get older!

im sure they were better then ronaldos anyway!

They were not, sometimes they were great, like Ronaldos are, sometimes they went nowhere

PHB wrote:
    They were not, sometimes they were great, like Ronaldos are, sometimes they went nowhere

Cant say i remeber ronadlo ever having a great cross. Only one i remember being scored from was against everton.

• Advertisement

If Beckham had not got a better cross than Ronaldo at 19 he would not have made it in football IMO.

eirebhoy wrote:
    If Beckham had not got a better cross than Ronaldo at 19 he would not have made it in football IMO.

Obviously not. Because if he can not cross properly, He can not pass properly. And that means he can not split the defence like he can with one pass...so that is his whole game gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

was beckham not on loan at preston north end at about that age?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Champion Weah and Pozzi will be better players.
    (Just because you havent heard of them, doesn't mean they aren't better!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Are they a couple of lads who are great in Championship Manager? Remember your man Mokouko, he was great. Now he drives a bus in Sweden.

That weah lad in particular, is only hyped up because George was so good. But even in his day, I thought George Weah was a bit over rated.

I think Ronaldo is more likely to improve considerably than Rooney, but in 5/6 years time Id say they will definitely both be in the best 5 in the world.

Seaneh wrote:
    Champion Weah

coolest name EVER

Advertisement