Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Less restrictive car rental companies

Options
  • 04-03-2005 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of renting out a car for a weekend to be driven by 2 people, one aged 27, full licence for 2 years, and myself 22, provisional licence. Is there any car rental company that will rent out a car under this arrangement? Cost isn't an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i seriously doubt that u as a provisional driver will b able to rent a car anywhere in ireland. and certainly not outside it as the provisional wouldnt be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Stark wrote:
    Cost isn't an issue.
    buy one for a weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lol, okay not an issue within reason :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Stark wrote:
    lol, okay not an issue within reason :p

the only thing i can think if is to rent a learner driving schools car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Stark wrote:
    I'm thinking of renting out a car for a weekend to be driven by 2 people, one aged 27, full licence for 2 years, and myself 22, provisional licence. Is there any car rental company that will rent out a car under this arrangement? Cost isn't an issue.

one small change will solve this (and the only one I can thing of) only let the 27 year old drive....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

No car rental will touch anyone with a provisional licence, you would just about be able to rent as a 22 year old (most companies min age is 25) with a full licence but not a chance with a provo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

one small change will solve this (and the only one I can thing of) only let the 27 year old drive....

Yeah, that's what it came down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most rental companies have a minimum standard which is 25 or older with a full drivers license for 2 years. It could vary from country to country but I have rented cars in differenct countries when on holidays and this seems to be the standard I have seen in the small print. Its an insurance requirement.

I'm afraid no chance with a provisional license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

you might, and I stress might, be able to rent a small van.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

is it possible,

if the 27 yr old has insurance, name the 22 yr old on it for the weekend, then transfer the whole lot over to the rental car (including the 22 yr old as a named driver)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement