Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning about Meteor's new 5c calls....

Options
  • 04-03-2005 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

If you currently have free meteor-to-meteor texts and you apply for the 5c calls, you will no longer have the free texts and will never get them back... Just so you know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Thats really crap!!!!

I dont have Meteor but was gonna swap over to get the free texts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

I dont have Meteor but was gonna swap over to get the free texts....

It's too late to switch over for the free texts - the offer expierd already (sometime around September I think?) - so only people who registered before it expired are eligible for the free texts for life promotion.
    You could try buying a second hand sim-card from somebody, just make sure it's actually got free texts first. Should be able to pick one up for about €20.

Even if you don't get free texts, I think Meteor is better value overall than O2/Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

o2 is a miles better network, just need to use 2 sim cards one for calls during peak and the other off peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

lomb wrote:
    o2 is a miles better network, just need to use 2 sim cards one for calls during peak and the other off peak.

Theoretically, the physical O2 network and the Meteor network are the same, in that when you lose coverage on Meteor, you simply switch over to O2 automatically - assuming O2 have coverage in the area.
    That said, I have had a lot of problems with the Meteor network in the past, more than I had with Vodafone - network congestion problems mostly, which always happen at the worst possible times.
    It's really just a choice of price (Meteor) versus quality (Vodafone/O2).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The only place I've noticed any problems with Meteor is around Grafton Street. The phone show's reception but just gives error tones if I try to place a call and it'll usually take 3/4 attempts if someone is ringing me before we can hear each other.

Not giving up my free texts though!

• Advertisement

Bah wrote:
    Theoretically, the physical O2 network and the Meteor network are the same, in that when you lose coverage on Meteor, you simply switch over to O2 automatically - assuming O2 have coverage in the area.
    That said, I have had a lot of problems with the Meteor network in the past, more than I had with Vodafone - network congestion problems mostly, which always happen at the worst possible times.
    It's really just a choice of price (Meteor) versus quality (Vodafone/O2).

the problem is meteor has only signed roaming agreements where they dont have any coverage, so say u are in dublin and coverage drops out it will not switch to 02.

people often ring me on meteor with full signal strength and i cant hear them, what good is it if it doesnt work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Bah wrote:
    This agreement between Meteor&O2, known as National Roaming, only applies to areas on the west of the country where Meteor had large black spots - West Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Donegal.
    But even within that it does not cover every area as Meteor does have good coverage in many of those areas.

Free Meteor-Meteor SMS promotion finished for new activations on October 7th 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Similarly, if you want to avail of the 300 free web texts a month offer, you also lose the free texts for life.

Looks like Meteor would prefer if people weren't on the free texts for life offer.

plazzTT wrote:
    Looks like Meteor would prefer if people weren't on the free texts for life offer.
    If you ran a business, would you give stuff away for free if you didnt have to? Or if you believed it was no longer a benefits greater than costs situation?

Im guessing thats whats happening here maybe, possibly Meteor's research leads them to believe they no longer need the Free SMS offer, or that there is demand for other offers, or that the benefits of other offers outway the costs better than the Free SMS offer does anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Why is it a warning? Do you honestly believe that Meteor would give you free texts AND 5c calls? It's pretty obvious that you can only have one offer at any one time. If you decide to avail of one you don't get the other. They are a commercial company.

Sometimes I wonder if there are vested interests on this board trying to stir things up.

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote:
    Sometimes I wonder if there are vested interests on this board trying to stir things up.
    Possibly, though I would doubt it, hardly worth the effort really is it?
    Hardly a sufficient number of people using this forum to make it worth while - I know Boards.ie has a huge membership, but this is only one forum.

It does annoy me how so many people take emotional views about companies, refusing to think of it from a business perspective - at the end of the day every company out there is out to make money, not to help people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Faltermyer wrote:
    Possibly, though I would doubt it, hardly worth the effort really is it?
    Hardly a sufficient number of people using this forum to make it worth while - I know Boards.ie has a huge membership, but this is only one forum.

It does annoy me how so many people take emotional views about companies, refusing to think of it from a business perspective - at the end of the day every company out there is out to make money, not to help people.

You mean all they want is my money .......... i thought they were all about connecting people ........ is it not good too talk ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Both my father and sister have Meteor againt my best wishes. It takes a minimum of 2 attempts to get through to them no matter where they are.. Happens with every Meteor number myself or friends calls..

Meteor were better value when they were free.. Free and unreliable are acceptable.

Free and unreliable are acceptable.

agreed the network is very poor, im not sure what the problem is, i persume they use the same brand of base station as vodafone, o2

however its probably a switching problem, absolutely useless....

Advertisement