Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old barometer?

• 04-03-2005 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I picked up this old barometer in a garage sale last year. Its looks old, and the company that made it, Short & Mason, was pretty world renowned for compasses and barometers. Anyone knowanything?

Seanie.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Looks like a mahogany timber, is it. Originally french polish finish , I would imagine. Restored woodwork would look excellent.
    Nice find . Did you research it on the web?

kadman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hi kadman,

yes, it is a solid mahogany (finish) alright. I have not polished it yet though. It was in safe storage till I came across it again recently. I don't know if I would fix it up or not (the cracked glass, slightly tarnished brass ring), unless it was to add to the value of it. So far, the barometer mechanism works, it has changed from day to day.

I have exhausted all I could from the net about it and the company, but there is not much. I have come across lots of sites where pocket compasses and other styles of barometers by Short and Mason have sold (pretty well too), but none of them look like THIS one! I am moving house soon, and I don't know whether to fix it up and hang it, or hold it for an antique buyer!

:(

Seanie.

Have you tried searching antique sales catalogues on the web, to find a similar one to get some idea of price. Of course you can't restore it until you find out how valuable it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Definately try on one or two weather boards, am certain someone will know all about them , would recommend http://www.theweatheroutlook.com or http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/ both of which have plenty of pro weather forcasters as well as true weather nuts..if anyone can help you with this i bet someone on their boards can !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

thanks guys.
    Longfield, I'll try those links.
    I have trawled through the net for antique forums, but there are not many worthwhile one out there. I guess its not a common thing for barometers to be collectables.
    And you're right about the cleaning kadman - in some cases, cleaning an antique actually devalues it!

It would be nice if cleaned up, but to be honest, if it was worth a few bob, then I'd put it towards the new house I am (hoping) to buy in the coming weeks!

Seanie.

• Advertisement

I'm not getting much luck in my searches on this one! Aargh!

How about Millers antique guide.

kadman wrote:
    How about Millers antique guide.

Sorry kadman, you'll have to enlighten me there!!

:o

Hi,

Millers publish various types of antique guides for all manner of things, such as motorbikes, furniture, cars ect. So they might also have a gudie for clocks , watches and may be barometers. They might have a web site , not too sure though.

Their gudes outline, auction prices you would expect to pay for certain items.
    Worth a look.

Cheers, thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement