Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increased Fuel Consumption

Options
  • 04-03-2005 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that my fuel compsumpsion has increased in the last week. I have a 96 Skoda Felicia 1.3. I normally get 300 miles from about 32 litres.

This week It is now 300 miles from 35 litres.

Any ideas as to whats wrong? Possible fuel leakage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could be a number of things, any sign of binding brakes, handbrake not releasing properly? Is the car idling any higher than previously? Any smell of petrol!? Carrying more weight around?

3 litres is'nt much of a difference to be honest, over 300 miles. 1 litre per 100.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Bond-007 wrote:
    I have noticed that my fuel compsumpsion has increased in the last week. I have a 96 Skoda Felicia 1.3. I normally get 300 miles from about 32 litres.

it would only take a little more city driving (stop-start) to use up the extra fuel....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if u are that worried about 3liters of fuel i dont think a v12 aston martin is on the cards 007 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Bond-007 wrote:

Just a thought - it's been quite cold in the last week or so. Your car may be taking longer to warm up after you start it in the morning resulting in it running richer for longer.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Under-inflated tyres could be another reason.

I have to say there's no way I'd be able to notice that small a difference.

Damo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The price of petrol is creeping up again.

Also due to the cold weather recently, I bet you have to leave your car running, have the heater on full and rear windscreen defroster on in the mornings. All these cause the engine to rev higher at idle hence the increased fuel consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I notice it because of the widely swinging fuel needle. It shocked me the other day when the low fuel light came on, when I knew it should not be empty yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah my car seems to be getting very fond of the petrol lately too. I've done less than 200 miles on the current tank and its about 2/3 empty already - And it'sa 70 litre tank!

Advertisement