Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got v 5.24 firmware for nokia 6230

• 04-03-2005 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I got the firmware on my Nokia 6230 updated in the Telephone Centre on Dawson street (it took a couple of hours).

Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but it has cleared up one of the most annoying problems - not being able to read caller id info against a dark wallpaper. The wallpaper automatically brightens when you get an incoming call. Why it's taken Nokia so long to fix this problem is beyond me!

You can now add the music player to the goto menu.

I should have a 1 Gb MMC card early next week and will check if MP3s are handled better now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

digitaldr wrote:
    I got the firmware on my Nokia 6230 updated in the Telephone Centre on Dawson street (it took a couple of hours).

Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but it has cleared up one of the most annoying problems - not being able to read caller id info against a dark wallpaper. The wallpaper automatically brightens when you get an incoming call. Why it's taken Nokia so long to fix this problem is beyond me!

You can now add the music player to the goto menu.

I should have a 1 Gb MMC card early next week and will check if MP3s are handled better now.

Did they charge you for it?

I just got a 6230 last week and have the 4.44 (Sep 04) version, which is very old. I've had no problems but haven't got my 1GB MMC yet, just a new case and keypad and stuff that doesn't need OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

There was no charge. I think it's free if the phones under warranty which it's probably going to be as it hasn't been available here for too long. They didn't look for any documentation either. I just got the phone last week and had v4.4 too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I got myone second hand.
    so can I just go into any place and get it updated for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

I just flashed 2 6230's to v5.26 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Hmm i gotta go get mine done during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

any place in cork to get it done?

do you lose the data on your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Does the fireware allow WMA files to be played? I know Nokia phones will be able to play back files but they wont allow the mediaplayer to be installed as on other manufacturers phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

just checked mine

v03.15
    17-03-04

Humm better get it done quick like! Got the phone last may though.

All firmware upgrades are free under the 12 month warranty !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Lenny - As long as the phone is less than a year old, the update is free. They will be able to tell you in-store if your phone is less than a year old. Also, the phone must a European version to have a valid European warranty.

Akula - Check the Nokia web site (http://www.nokia.ie/nokia/0,,54610,00.html) and, yes, they normally wipe the phone when it's updated so backup everything first. They take your memory card out, though, so its contents stay in contact.

BrianD - Nokia firmware updates rarely introduce new features - especially as radical as Windows Media Audio (WMA) support. Nokia have licensed WMA (and WMA DRM) but I would not expect phones to appear or be announced until late 2005.

Also, from what I gathered from the press conference a few weeks back, it will be Series 60 phones to have this support first - as well as ActiveSync support for MS Exchange servers.

- Neil

• Advertisement

I just flashed 2 6230's to v5.26 ;)

Here's what I found out about it:

this is what i found somewhere:

Changes/improvements made from MCU SW version 5.24 to version 5.26:

- Call and network management:
    - Improved handling of Fixed Dialling Numbers
    - SIM:
    - Improved handling of SIM cards
    - Improved standby time for certain networks
    - Improved time input in Czech language

so i guess it's just a bugfix for v5.24 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

is it possible to flash it yourself without going into a shop?

Yeah 99% of firmware updates are just bug fixers :)

is it possible to flash it yourself without going into a shop?

Yeah but you need to buy the equipment for flashing them, I have it for Nokias, SE's & Motorolas + some more in between...

Got a 1 Gig pqi mmc card from Ebay today. I've half filled it (using a USB2 card reader) and put a folder or two in it. Everything's working fine with 5.24! The first time I started up the player it took a lot longer than usual to start but was back to normal subsequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

When will you know if it works

Mohanned wrote:
    When will you know if it works

Seems to work fine so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

just got the same update from the same place yesterday. seems to be pretty much as reported. major benefit is with dark wallpapers when recieving a call. also the menus are organised slightly differant for certain tasks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Got the update today. Anyone know anything about this Instant Messaging service?

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's proberly the "chat" feature that was on the 3310s... just basically a way to relay SMS's without you noticing that you're sending 13c each time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

hehe great idea that noone uses or do ye?

Anyone know anything about this Instant Messaging service?
    is this new in this firmware?

ciaranfo wrote:
    It's proberly the "chat" feature that was on the 3310s... just basically a way to relay SMS's without you noticing that you're sending 13c each time...

There seems to be some sort of server you can define for it... Must have a look at the nokia developer site - see if there is anything on it there.

Darragh

It seems that instant messaging, and presence are all tied into each other. I found a service called:

http://www.yamigo.com/

I've joined up - it works. I took the liberty of creating a group called Boards.ie - if anyone manages to connect up I'll leave my phone connected to it.

Darragh

anyone else having a problem with their bluetooth since the firmware upgrade? i can transfer files fine but with the nokia pc suite i keep getting a "no supported phone connected" message and my bluetooth doesnt show up in the nokia connection manager. I think it was working fine the day after the upgrade so im not sure if its connected.

is anyone having a similar issue?

skywalker wrote:
    anyone else having a problem with their bluetooth since the firmware upgrade? i can transfer files fine but with the nokia pc suite i keep getting a "no supported phone connected" message and my bluetooth doesnt show up in the nokia connection manager. I think it was working fine the day after the upgrade so im not sure if its connected.

is anyone having a similar issue?

If you can't use the BT services on your Noia 6230 they might of flashed it wrong !!!

They might of forgot to flash the BT file to your phone. BT has it's own file !

sorry was 1/2 asleep last night and probly didnt explain it clearly.

I can transfer files fine using bluetooth between the pc and the phone. its when i try to use the nokia pc suite to move playlists over i get the "no supported phone connected" message where the phone should show up and I dont get an option for bluetooth in the nokia connection manager, only infrared or serial, neither of which i actually have.

On reflection i havent used the nokia pc suite software since i got the phone flashed so im thinking it is connected to the firmware version. Has anyone had similar issues or any advice?

managed to get a lend of another bluetooth adapter from a friend and it seems to work fine with that :confused: must be some sort of compatibility issue which is a pain in the ass, this would seem to be supported by this in one of the support docs

"For access from the PC to devices that use Bluetooth wireless technology, your PC needs
    Bluetooth wireless technology equipment with one of the following Bluetooth stacks:
    • Digianswer Bluetooth Software Suite
    • Microsoft Windows XP Bluetooth
    • WIDCOMM Bluetooth for Windows (BTW 1.4.x, BTW 3.x.x.x)
    • Toshiba Bluetooth Stack for Windows XP/2000"

after more searching it seems xp service pack 2 might help with this issue. Ill give that a go next week when im in work and can download it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Hi All,
    I have firmware 4.41 (or 4.44) on my phone. I keep getting the message "SIM card rejected" every couple of days. Then it goes away. The phone's screen is also prone to going blank sometimes, then coming back on. Has anyone else experienced this with the 6230, or know if the firmware update will fix this?

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭opus

dcGT wrote:
    Hi All,
    I have firmware 4.41 (or 4.44) on my phone. I keep getting the message "SIM card rejected" every couple of days. Then it goes away. The phone's screen is also prone to going blank sometimes, then coming back on. Has anyone else experienced this with the 6230, or know if the firmware update will fix this?

Cheers,

DC.

Yeah, I've seen exactly the same things. Not sure about the firmware upgrade but I dropped my one in today as it was at 4.28 (almost a year old) to see if it would fix it up. Not sure what the latest version is, 5.2X maybe :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

opus wrote:
    Yeah, I've seen exactly the same things. Not sure about the firmware upgrade but I dropped my one in today as it was at 4.28 (almost a year old) to see if it would fix it up. Not sure what the latest version is, 5.2X maybe :confused:

Yeah, got mine updated last week. Seems to have solved all the problems!

DC.

Advertisement