Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the first Discworld book you ever read?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GumDropButtons

I think it was The Light Fantastic for me...

My first TP book was Diggers though... I borrowed it from my primary school and it's still around somewhere... God I loved the nomes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

The first DISCWORLD book I read was The Truth. I never became adicted to anything so quickly. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 La Cucaracha

The colour of magic, it was recommended to me as the first to read. favourite is still small gods though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

First was Thief of Time.

Death and Death of Rats are great characters *SQUEAK* :D

Best one so far was Guards, Guards.

Going Postal was pretty good too. Didn't really get into Pyramids or Hogfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The Colour of Magic, and I loved it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

The colour of magic and havnt looked back since. Bought them in three's and four's after that. My favourite books are the ones involving death so Reaper Man is near the top of my list. Guards, Guards is also one of my stand outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

I picked up Soul Music in the library one day because I thought the cover looked interesting. probably wasn't the best one to start with; I liked it but it was a bit confusing. 'twas better on a recent re-read ^_^ I followed it up with Sourcery a few weeks later and since then I've been hooked.

actually on the subject of book signings, I got a second-hand copy of Men at Arms(so good!) for my birthday and when I opened it I thought to myself 'hey! somebody's written in this!'
    then I googled terry pratchett's signature and gaped at my book for a bit. I'm guessing somebody called dave is going to be pissed when he discovers his signed copy has been sold.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My first TP book was Diggers though... I borrowed it from my primary school and it's still around somewhere... God I loved the nomes!
    I loved those books! Nobody else seems to have heard of them though (I guess people on a Discworld forum probably would have though) There were three, weren't there? One was called Truckers... Can't remember the third one though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Truckers, Diggers and Wings, I read them backwards, Wings first, but still thought they were cool.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

When I read them they had me laughing out loud on public transport, I thought they were brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

the first book i read was men at arms(got it for cmas bout 7 years ago)followed by al the restup to then inabout 3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Pyramids... That's the first I read...

I was dealing with insomnia, I'd just finished whatever book I was reading, I was staying at my sister's house, and so her husband turned to me, gave me a walkman with the audio version of The Truth in it, and left me. Didn't help the insomnia (I listened to the whole thing in one sitting) but it did get me hooked on TP. The next day, I read Pyramids, and the rest is history.

The Truth is still my favourite, but I have a soft spot for Pyramids... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lady Sybil

I read my first Discworld Novel over a friend's shoulder during a bomb scare at school in the min 90's. We were meant to drop everything and get out into the wet and cold, but this guy grabbed the graphic novel of The Light Fantastic. It stopped us from going mad from boredom, but made us mad on the Discworld from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Got "The Gods Trilogy" which was an Omnibus of Pyramids, SMall Gods and Hogfather. Small Gods is what really got me into his books tho.
    I didnt read any others till i read " The Truth" about a year later and that was followed quickly by others :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

the first one i read completely was Mort... i'm a bit of a Discworld nivice though... i'm halfway through the truth at the moment.. and i also read the one about rincewind and the young boy sourcerer, i forget what it was called

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

duh.. Sourcery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

The Light Fantastic. I got it for my 12th birthday and fell in love with the diskworld...damn thats 8 years ago now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The Hogfather,love all of them since reading that :D

Advertisement