Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No National Transport Museum !

• 04-03-2005 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

I have often thought how much of disgrace it is that Ireland does not have a dedicated (i.e. purpose-built) National Transport Museum ! :mad:

We are the only country in Europe that has no state transport museum!!

Over the years many historic vehicles have been scrapped or exported which might otherwise have been retained or gifted to a national transport museum - if we had one.

I am aware the we have a 'national transport museum' (of sorts!) in Howth - and I applaud the trojan work it's volunteers have undertaken over the years - but even they would readily admit that it is hardly more than a "glorified storage shed" and an embarrasment for visiting tourists to see.

Surely in this time of the 'Celtic Tiger' we can well afford to build a dedicated National Transport Museum ?!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm sure the absense of such an institution is mainly down to a, lets face it
    "bog-trotter" relationship to transport in almost every guise. The ppl or the state have never given any great thought to the beauty of machinery or its place in history. Its just a means of a to b...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Its a shame Ireland doesnt have one, the closest ive seen is the Transport Museum in Killarney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

kinkstr wrote:
    Its a shame Ireland doesnt have one, the closest ive seen is the Transport Museum in Killarney
    My info tells me that this is sold now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Pity, ive been there a few times, had my picture taken beside some of the cars when i was a young chap, think i bought some magazines while i was there, i must see where i left them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

what happened to Kilarney - what happened to the stock- not justthe cars but the books and mags and stuff... last itme I was there I bought a rare Dick Seaman biog I'd have cleared thier shelves if I knew it was closing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I recall reading, a few years ago, that the Museum was relocating to a larger unit somewhere in killarney (Ind Estate ?) due to new owners of the Scott's Garden Hotel wishing to expand.

I believe there is little fear of the stock being 'sold off'.
    The collection was amassed over many many years by a family originally based in Portlaoise.

The museum contains the world's largest collection of Wolsely cars and the unique (priceless!) 1907 Silver Stream car (built in Co. Kildare).

While the museum in Killarney is the best I have seen in Ireland to date, it is no substitute for a National Transport Museum - which is badly required !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

been to this one last year,plenty of stuf but its like everthing else no funds to run,when u have muppets that cant run simple basic services,how will u ever get funds for transport museums :mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is an amazing museum down in Conmel
    www.visitclonmel.com/MuseumOfTransport.asp
    Well worth the visit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

There isn't a transport museum in Malahide !

I've been to the Howth one and looked at the website but I never knew there was others in Clonmel and killarney and i' regulalry travel to both places !!

Well at least I can look forward to those trips a bit more now. There also one in Cultra in Co.Down too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

MercMad wrote:
    There isn't a transport museum in Malahide !

I've been to the Howth one and looked at the website but I never knew there was others in Clonmel and killarney and i' regulalry travel to both places !!

Well at least I can look forward to those trips a bit more now. There also one in Cultra in Co.Down too !
    sorry got the place name wrong its howth,dont get out much,still same county different bling,ps merc country :D

• Advertisement

sorry got the place name wrong its howth,dont get out much,still same county different bling,ps merc country

........there used to be a small one in Rush, there was a watermill there too and a cafe, back in the 70's. Anyone remember this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

the rest of us weren't even born then!

Heh !!

I thought you were older than I............you look it !! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

This is for the same reason that there's no Industrial Museum in Dublin, despite the many industires associated with the place. Unfortunately its down to Cultural Programming by FF in the 1930s, you'll see the same thing in school history books:

Dublin/Industry/Mechanisation = England = Evilness

Country/Farming/Celticyness = Oireland = Saintliness

This is why we have interminable museums of Viking and Celtic sh1te funded up the wazoo but have nothing that reflects the experiences of the Industrial/Urban Irish, save volunteer-run embarassments like the Irish Labour History Museum in Beggars Bush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Lads, I have started a thread in the Commuting/Transport forum which talks about the lack of a National Transport Museum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=242064

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thanks BrianD3.

Advertisement