Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good psu?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

jozi wrote:
    Was thinking maybe one of these:
    450W OCZ ModStream Power Supply
    Jozi

520w version?
    Or Thermaltake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I got a Thermaltake 480W Butterfly in Peats recently for €90, and am very pleased with it: Linky: http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=7950&type=6&path=14x122x5315

Tonnes of Molex connectors (more than you can shake a stick at), and it has S-ATA conectors, along with the standard ATX, the 4 pin P4 and some of the Floppy style connectors. Very neat, quiet PSU, and it comes with a very good case fan and front panel for controlling said case fan and the 2 fans in the PSU.

Strongly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I think nf4 is recomended to have a psu with the 24 pin mobo connector the butterfly hasnt got it or i would buy it.

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

jozi wrote:
    I think nf4 is recomended to have a psu with the 24 pin mobo connector the butterfly hasnt got it or i would buy it.

Jozi
    It has the 20 pin one and the 4 pin one: methinks you could make it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

dont go near thermaltake they dont have independant 12v rails, so no good for overclocking. if money is no object go for this betsy (iv one) Its the rolls royce of psu's

Enermax 485 watt (power plant!!)

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=8015&type=6&path=14x122x5315

Its the 485 watt version on there website (not 475 watt) Its king for overclocking too! trust me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

That thermaltake one linked isn't 24 pin. Wouldnt go near them, pathetic 12v rails. If youre on NF4 youll probably want a whole lot of 12v juice for an A64 and maybe 2 video cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

your spot on with the OCZ powerstream or the ocz modstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jessy wrote:
    your spot on with the OCZ powerstream or the ocz modstream.

I agree these are kickass, mate of mine got 1 recently. cant you get the 20pin to 24pin converter for the mobo?? does it make a difference???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

gline wrote:
    I agree these are kickass, mate of mine got 1 recently. cant you get the 20pin to 24pin converter for the mobo?? does it make a difference???
    Hi gline i have a question about your core voltage on your vga i did the pencil mod on my msi x800xt pe and went from 1.39v to 1.51v on the core,from 2.00v to 2.11v on the mem and from 2.08 to 2.15 on the vddq.The reason i did the mod was because i could,nt oc the core beyond 526mhz or the mem beyond 560mhz my question is did you have to do the over current protection vmod to get the core to 1.67v also i can now overclock the core to about 570mhz or 580mhz and mem only to 570mhz but when i run any benchmarks my scores are no better than before i oc,ed the card sometimes even worse than before, any idea,s thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

I think im going to order the 520W OCZ ModStream Power Supply tomorrow. have to get ram for a mate to so might as well add it into the order.
    Its not going to be a bad buy is it do you recon?

Jozi

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

jozi wrote:

Click here and download the vid - man if you werent sure you will be after that vid.Wanted to build a system, last week and ran into cash probs (will be sorted soon) and glad i had to put it off now, those OCZ modstreams look the Biz.

dixsey wrote:
    Hi gline i have a question about your core voltage on your vga i did the pencil mod on my msi x800xt pe and went from 1.39v to 1.51v on the core,from 2.00v to 2.11v on the mem and from 2.08 to 2.15 on the vddq.The reason i did the mod was because i could,nt oc the core beyond 526mhz or the mem beyond 560mhz my question is did you have to do the over current protection vmod to get the core to 1.67v also i can now overclock the core to about 570mhz or 580mhz and mem only to 570mhz but when i run any benchmarks my scores are no better than before i oc,ed the card sometimes even worse than before, any idea,s thanks in advance.

No i didnt do the over current protection mod, thats strange that your scores ended up lower. What program u using for oc'in???? Ive never heard of 3dmark scores going down after overclocking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have the OCZ powerstream 520watt my self and its top class. If the voltage is not up to what you want you can up them by turning a little screw to give it more power. Great if your a big time overclocker, i just went for it as lots of people were saying they are good.

Not using it at the moment but will shortly when i get time to put another computer together.

Also the Noistaker 485watt my brother has is a good PSU.

Jozi not trying to put you off an upgrade. I read earlyer in another post you have a Barton 2500+ and you have it running at 2400mhz stable. Also a Ati9800pro "i hope i have the right guy" well if thats you i think i would stay with that setup. What i might do would be get another Video Card and thats all.

Im very much in the same boat as your self, My CPU is running at almost 2600mhz and i have an Ati 9800np but i clock it to 400core and 315mem.

If i was to get something new i think i would wait for Ati to bring out the x800xl version to AGP. Overclockers.co.uk say they will have these cards in 2weeks time.

Well thats just my imput, all to be considered with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

jozi wrote:
    I think im going to order the 520W OCZ ModStream Power Supply tomorrow. have to get ram for a mate to so might as well add it into the order.

Jozi

Get the Powerstream instead. The Modstream are okay but its nothing compared with the Powerstream.

neokenzo wrote:
    Get the Powerstream instead. The Modstream are okay but its nothing compared with the Powerstream.

What voltage are you getting on the 12V rail when running the pc????

So the powerstream would be a better buy. Can someone tell me is the powerstream as quiet as the modstream?
    I want to keep things as quiet as possible.
    @BadCharlie: You got the right guy, only my 9800pro died :mad: and i've been using a 6600gt. Didnt know there was a x800xl agp coming out, was going to get the pci-e version.
    Thanks all for the input so far.

Jozi

jozi wrote:
    So the powerstream would be a better buy. Can someone tell me is the powerstream as quiet as the modstream?
    I want to keep things as quiet as possible.
    @BadCharlie: You got the right guy, only my 9800pro died :mad: and i've been using a 6600gt. Didnt know there was a x800xl agp coming out, was going to get the pci-e version.
    Thanks all for the input so far.

Jozi

I have the 520watt powerstream and I think its Quite. Not as quite as my brothers NoiseTaker 485watt PSU. There is a 600watt version of that PSU, The thing I like about it is that on the back of the PSU there is a speed adjuster for the fan on it. It runs at 1500rpm norm and you can turn it down to 900rpm which you cant hear at all. I know you cant hear it is cause when you shut down your computer the NoiseTaker stays spinning for another 2mins. You have to put your Ear up to it to make sure its even on.

But only thing is I don't know if that PSU has good Rails so if your a clocker you would have to look into it.

If you did get the PowerStream I don't think you would be disappointed but its not a cheap PSU. They also have a 5year warranty if im not mistaken. I don't think any other PSU company does 5years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Thermaltake psu's are pathetically weak and overrated, especially on the +12v rail, I believe the 480W model was 18amps -- steer clear and get something decent like an Enermax/OCZ/Tagan/Antec/Fortron/Akasa.

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    No i didnt do the over current protection mod, thats strange that your scores ended up lower. What program u using for oc'in???? Ive never heard of 3dmark scores going down after overclocking
    i,ve tried ati tool, rivatuner and ati tray tools and i,ve settled with ati tray tools for now.After doing loads of tests for artifacts my max core seems to be around 550mhz and mem only 570mhz not great considering i,ve done the vcore,vddq and mem mod but my benchmarks have improved a bit,before the vmods i was scoreing around 11,500 in 3d mark 03 and about 5,300 in 3d mark 05,now with the core clocked at 550mhz and mem 570mhz i,m getting 12,150 in 3d mark 03 and 5,500 in 3d mark 05 are these scores about right i,ve a dell 4600 with p4 3.06ghz hyperthreading, 1.5 gig of 333mhz ram the x800xt pe overclocked, and a 400w psu. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

gline: I havent tested it yet.Will let you know once I do :)

jozi: IMO the powerstream is quiet but I think it depends on the individual :)

dixsey wrote:
    i,ve tried ati tool, rivatuner and ati tray tools and i,ve settled with ati tray tools for now.After doing loads of tests for artifacts my max core seems to be around 550mhz and mem only 570mhz not great considering i,ve done the vcore,vddq and mem mod but my benchmarks have improved a bit,before the vmods i was scoreing around 11,500 in 3d mark 03 and about 5,300 in 3d mark 05,now with the core clocked at 550mhz and mem 570mhz i,m getting 12,150 in 3d mark 03 and 5,500 in 3d mark 05 are these scores about right i,ve a dell 4600 with p4 3.06ghz hyperthreading, 1.5 gig of 333mhz ram the x800xt pe overclocked, and a 400w psu. Thanks for the help.

I think that prob is about right considering the chip is a 3gz and ram etc, id say thats a pretty good score for that

gline wrote:
    I think that prob is about right considering the chip is a 3gz and ram etc, id say thats a pretty good score for that
    Sound thanks for the help, do you think i should be getting better overclocks with the voltage i,m running with ?

dixsey wrote:
    Sound thanks for the help, do you think i should be getting better overclocks with the voltage i,m running with ?

hard to tell oc'in aint exactly an exact science , its luck of the draw sometimes on if you get a good overclocing card or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Advertisement