Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in memoriam - great horses

• 04-03-2005 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Just thinking. We only have one race at the Cheltenham Festival named after one of its equine heroes, the Arkle Trophy, which is in some ways misleading as it's the 2m novice championship, you would think the Sun Alliance would be the Arkle.

Anyway, to get back to my point, does anyone else agree that there should be some other races named after horses.

So long as they leave the Champion Hurdle, Gold Cup, World/Stayers Hurdle and Champion Chase alone, I think it would be long overdue. Naming races after Kim Muir and the like is fine, but it's the horses who too often get overlooked.

The races currently named after Persian War, Golden Miller and the like are not really worthy of their memory. They deserve races at the festival.

So the schedule should now be as such...with horses in BOLD having the races named after them...

Letheby & Christopher GOLDEN CYGNET and BROWNES GAZETTE (at Sandown there's the Burnt Oak and Special Cargo) Supreme Novices' H'Dle
    Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy Steeplechase
    Smurfit Champion Hurdle
    William Hill GOLDEN MILLER Trophy H'Cap Steeplechase
    The MCGREGOR THE THIRD Cross Country Steeplechase
    Fred Winter Juvenile H'Cap H'Dle
    Royal Sunalliance DAWN RUN Novices' H'Dle
    Royal Sunalliance KILLINEY Steeplechase
    Queen Mother Champion Steeplechase
    Coral Cup H'Dle
    Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup H'Cap Steeplechase
    Weatherbys MONSIGNOR Champion Bumper
    Jewson Novices' H'Cap Chase
    Daily Telegraph Festival Trophy Steeplechase
    Ladbroke World H'Dle
    Mildmay Of Flete H'Cap Steeplechase
    Pertemps Final WILLIE WUMPKINS (Handicap H'Dle)
    Jcb PERSIAN WAR Triumph H'Dle
    Sponsored BARACOUDA Novices' H'Dle (3m)
    Totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup
    Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Steeplechase
    Vincent O'Brien County H'Cap H'Dle

Any thoughts or alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

good idea in principle but there's no way i could see the existing sponsors wearing it as they have had these races to themselves (same names)for eons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tiedcottage

Agreed, it will never happen, but the Arkle has had many different sponsors, and I don't really see the problem for any but the Sun Alliance Races, which have been the same for decades. Perhaps change them when SA finally give up the ghots. Hell, even Waterford Crystal did when seeming like they were here to stay.

Advertisement