Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Group of Stars

• 05-03-2005 1:47am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this makes sense to someone on this board!

I have a pair of binoculars and I regularly use them for scanning the night sky. I'm trying to learn all the constellations and get used to finding my way around. Early on in my stargazing career I found a little group of stars which appeared to be shaped almost exactly like a clotheshanger, but I forgot to note down where they were and I haven't found them since. They're not visible with the naked eye, only through binoculars. I think the group is somewhere near Cygnus, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know the group I'm talking about? If so, could you tell me where it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Hi,

Yep, you seem to be describing "The Coathanger". Technically its not in Cygnus, but in Vulpecula. Its roughtly halfway beteen the stars Vega (in Lyra) and Altair (in Aquilla).

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    www.southdublinastronomy.org

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Thank you! I'll go have a look for that tonight, if the skies are clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Fishie wrote:
    Thank you! I'll go have a look for that tonight, if the skies are clear

Hi Fishie,

What spec and make is your binos? 10x50? I think I need to get new ones soon.
    :confused: Good luck with your search. That's dimmer than I can usually see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Here is a jist of what you guys are looking for! A star atlas will help get an exact location!

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Seanie M wrote:
    what is it with people putting their computer specs on the bottom of their signatures? should I do it too?

Most people who do this post regularily on the Computers or Tweaking/Modding boards. It saves have to post your spec anytime your asking a question or talking about a problem you're having.

For some people it's a "mine's bigger than yours" thing as well of course. Anyone who has their 3DMark score in their .sig falls into this category ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement