Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Next?

Options
  • 05-03-2005 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

I was just watching a documentary about nevermind on bbc2 and it got me thinking about patterns in music. It seems to me that every ten years or so a band comes along, or a new genre of music appears that changes the way people think about popular music. In the fifties we had Elvis and Rock & Roll, in the sixties we had the beatles, the stones, Hendrix and a whole heap of others, the seventies gave us The Sex Pistols, The Clash and punk the eighties gave us hip-hop and house music along with people like The Smiths and U2, then in the nineties we got the likes of Nirvana and grunge. I was a teenager when Nevermind came out and I can say without fear of exaggeration that it changed my life. It opened my eyes to music, something I had never taken an interest in before, but has given me enormous pleasure, and played a big role in my life ever since. I'm sure some of the older posters would say the same about some of the other bands I have mentioned here. Anyway, my point is what's next? I can't think of a single band or movement in music that has had anything like the impact of Nevermind since it came out in 91 or 92. Who's out there today making music that's having an impact on peoples lives the way the above bands did in their time? Maybe it's age or someyhing, but I find it very hard to get excited about much new music. The Strokes were promising but haaven't delivered, Franz Ferdinand are hardly revolutionary, The White Stripes do nothing for me, and dance and Hip-Hop have become caricatures of the powerful movements they once were. I think we're due for another revolution in music and I'd just like to hear other peoples opinions on where it's going to come from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

You can be rest assured that what ever it is, we as the twenty something generation are not going to get it. You could say New Metal is an example of this. Sure now it's just a fad that teenagers are into, but that's is what they said about grunge/hiphop. This time in 10 years Limp Bizkit will be crowned kings and saviours of music. feeling old yet? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Thats kind of what I was afraid of!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

just think of all the songs that were out in your teens. they will all be back again in the charts with different singers.

I could have sworn i heard a woman singing something from "fiddler on the roof" the other day

Advertisement