Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video game violence debate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Boys kill friend using "Mortal Kombat" video technique
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/7242_1263268,001800080000.htm
    The five boys, aged 13 to 16, were arrested Sunday by the police of this town of 43,000 inhabitants 120 kilometres (74 miles) north of the capital in connection with the murder which occurred on Saturday, the spokeswoman said.

They explained that "they used techniques borrowed from the video game 'Mortal Combat' in dealing with their victim", the spokeswoman, Kristine Mezaraupa said.

OK, but Mortal Kombat was released in 1992, the oldest of these boys would have been 3 years old when this game was out, the youngest being just born! That's like me saying I beat the crap out of someone with a tennis racket because I was copying a move from Pong in the late 70's.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest that merely playing video games, placing you into the shoes of some fantasy character, creates a killer.

I'm not a psychologist but, the way i look at it, if they were induced to hurt people in real life after playing a violent game, then chances are, had they not played the game, then something else would have triggered off the violent behaviour at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I like the way the lawyer refers to the games as 'murder simulators'. What an ignorant bastard.

3000 gun laws on the books. Not a single law on the books to stop the sale of murder simulators to kids. Idiotic.

When the last time you got mugged at game point? Held up a bank with a copy of GTA?? Shot a cop with the dvd box for manhunt?? Id love to see a kid who played GTA go out and try to steal a car like you do in gta..hed walk up to a car, try to pull the driver out, realise the door is locked, the driver would get out, clout him across the earhole, and drive off. Hows that for 'training'.
    This clown obviously has no idea wtf hes talking about. And if he stopped blithering hed realise it IS an offense to sell games to underage kids, i think that constitues itself as a law, and 'on the books'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

They 'simulate' the act of murder don’t they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They explained that "they used techniques borrowed from the video game 'Mortal Combat' in dealing with their victim", the spokeswoman, Kristine Mezaraupa said.

It must have been a curry fart liu kang style fireball. Or the 1 frame of animation jerky punch of doom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No no no. He shot a ball of ice from his hand, then punched his friend, shattering him into a million pieces. 'Coz MK is soooo realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

monument wrote:
    They 'simulate' the act of murder don’t they?

No more than playing cowboys and indians simulates the act of murder. At least GTA doesn't endorse the genocide of the Native American people.

You can be offended by anything if you want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If some idiot cannot distinguish fiction from reality, it is their problem and measures should be taken to ensure they are not exposed to such material.. The majority of peole who enjoy these games are sane and do not murder someone after playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Theres always someone complaining about video game violence, these ppl have way to much time on there hands and think there doing the world a big favour when the truth is that they just want to feel good about themselves. I'm sick of these bleeding hearts clubs trying to take away everything fun in the world just because they don't get it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I get sop frustrated reading about things like that. How many millions of copies of GTA are sold each year and yet it only seems to be a few citizens of the USA who are "copying" the acts they can play out in GTA. Surely games are trying to simulate real life, not the other way around? isn't realism the goal of many games developers? The source material for these games is out there on many streets as it is. Rockstar did not dream up the hijack, the guns and the drive-bys. Yet games are the latest thing society wants to blamce for their own mistakes. Sickens me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement