Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese courses in Ireland?

• 05-03-2005 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭

I really want to learn japanese but I currently don't know where there are places teaching it. I'm not the best at self-learning and would at least like to do a course on the subject to get off the starter-line. I'd appreciate any information at all, it would really help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Myself and a few other members here are currently attending a class at St. Michael's college, Ballsbridge, Dublin. However, it is a leaving cert course so you'd probably be to old to attend judging from your profile. I'm sure some other members know of some other good courses though.Try the useful sites thread. There's some good stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I think some of the waiting staff in Yamamori in South Great George's Street teach one-to-one as a nixer; you could go in and ask.

The Ilac library, Dublin's central library, sited in the Ilac Centre between Parnell Street and Henry Street, has conversation swaps on Saturdays - you speak English with Japanese people for half the time and Japanese for the other half, helping each other with any queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I'm learning Japanese in college and one of my lecturers gives evening lessons in Limerick city once or twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

bedlam wrote:

Nice one mate. Too late to start it now but I'll get it again. Any more info is still appreciated. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Trinity do an evening course as well, do a search in this forum to see people's opinions of it. Apparently they work off the book 'Japanese for Busy People', which I can personally recommend (the Kana version that is...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

DCU have a Japanese (and business I think) degree course ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

luckat wrote:
    I think some of the waiting staff in Yamamori in South Great George's Street teach one-to-one as a nixer; you could go in and ask.

The Ilac library, Dublin's central library, sited in the Ilac Centre between Parnell Street and Henry Street, has conversation swaps on Saturdays - you speak English with Japanese people for half the time and Japanese for the other half, helping each other with any queries.

heh, that sounds cool, how does that work exactly? do you know people who do that at the library?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

eljono wrote:
    I'm learning Japanese in college and one of my lecturers gives evening lessons in Limerick city once or twice a week.
    Any chance you could give more info regarding where ,when he teaches and how much he charges,
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kate100

Maybe try some japanese on-line.
    I like this one: www.hesjapanese.com
    Subscribers receive one-to-one attentions! And it's just 23$ for one yer ^^

Regards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Dragging up a 2 1/2-year-old thread is not a good idea, and there are far better sites than that in the stickies at the top of this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Thanks for the post about the Japanese/English conversation group in the Ilac Library. I went along today and had a nice chat with a Japanese girl. Although I realised that my Japanese is no good for casual conversations yet :\ Still, handy to know that such a group exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yip0

kawaii wrote: »
    Myself and a few other members here are currently attending a class at St. Michael's college, Ballsbridge, Dublin. However, it is a leaving cert course so you'd probably be to old to attend judging from your profile. I'm sure some other members know of some other good courses though.Try the useful sites thread. There's some good stuff there.

Hi i'm a leaving cert student aswell and i'm looking for the japanese classes in st. Michael's, would you know how to contact them and what time is it on saturdays?:) thanks for your info it helps.

Contact the Marino Institute. (Possibly with "of Education" at the end, I can't remember.) they'll be able to sign you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jeskah

Looking for either a distance learning course or classes/ private tuition in Clifden, or Galway area, any suggestions?

Tried self-study with Japanese for Busy People, but need speaking practice.

Thanks,

Jes.

Galway seems to be a popular destination amongst Japanese people; maybe there's a conversation exchange group there. They're usually good places to meet Japanese people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 V_Q

I take private Japanese lessons. Was taking them with a girl who was over here studying in DCU for a few months. When she went back to Japan I found another teacher- <snip>
    Very nice, good help preparing for the JLPT

EDIT: Please PM this user if you want the e-mail address provided

• Registered Users Posts: 9 raindrop

what was the website to sign up for those classes? thanks ( for the st.michaels)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 V_Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Hey all, I'm looking for classes in either Waterford or Kilkenny city but I cant seem to find any. I wouldn't mind traveling to Dublin for classes on the train but all the classes end at like 7 or 7:30pm which is far too late seeing as the last train home is at 18:30. Even weekend classes would be nice.

If you're a secondary student, you could attend classes in Dublin (free) on Saturday mornings. Call the Marino Institute. In fact, call them either way as they'll probably have info on courses for non-school people too.

• Advertisement

Nah I finished the leaving cert in June just this year. I will give them an email on Monday anyway, see what the story is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Trinity College do Evening Classes in Japanese Language. Just started my second time doing classes there and enjoy it alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Aisling Ireland in Rathmines run Japanese courses for 10 weeks at a time at a multitude of levels. The teacher is absolutely wonderful and I highly recommend it!

(On a side note: Will be making this thread into a sticky with all the links at the top in the near future :) )

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Both Maki-sensei and the other staff at Aisling Ireland are brilliant, I highly recommend them for Japanese anyway. :)

Still nothing down in Waterford I dont think. They have every other language including Chinese but no Japanese :(. Ah I'm not overly bothered anyhow. I'm coming along nicely learning it myself. I don't have much time to myself with college so I imagine Evening Japanese classes would take away the few hours I get to myself anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Murasaki Ookami

anyone know if there are any Japanese Classes down in wexford county, I've tried googling it but get nothing but English Language courses.

Advertisement