Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rte News - Why is it they always say on the dow Jones "a short time ago"?

• 05-03-2005 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Why do they do this every single night it is driving me mad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So they can't get blamed if share prices have fluctuated since they got their data? They're saying the values are recent but not absolutely up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Ah yes, an Una O'Hagan classic :)
    Yes, it is because of the reason simu gives; the figure's taken probably about half an hour before it's broadcast so the graphic 'at the bottom of your screen' can be assembled in time, which is fair enough.
    What does irritate me slightly though is the use of 'your screen' - I think it's too distracting, it highlights the fact you're watching the telly and shatters the illusion - the bottom of 'the screen' would be more appropriate me thinks.
    Um annnyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

RTE wrote:
    the use of 'your screen' - I think it's too distracting, it highlights the fact you're watching the telly and shatters the illusion
    ha , yeah I always found that weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

chilipop wrote:
    Why do they do this every single night it is driving me mad

Remember when the 6-1 business news is on the NY stock exchange still has 3.5 hrs trading left.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

RTE wrote:
    the figure's taken probably about half an hour before it's broadcast so the graphic 'at the bottom of your screen' can be assembled in time, which is fair enough.What does irritate me slightly though is the use of 'your screen' - I think it's too distracting, it highlights the fact you're watching the telly and shatters the illusion - the bottom of 'the screen' would be more appropriate me thinks.
    Um annnyway...

This vexes me too, but for a different reason. There are only a handful of companies or indices quoted. When the newsreader says, "These are displayed at the bottom of your screen", it always gives me the impression of "They're there, read them if you want - I'm too lazy to bother." (Of course, it's to save time and all, but it just might work better if they said, "The latest figures are displayed below, including the Iseq, which was up 5 points a short time ago." Or maybe I just like TV news that saves me having to look up! (Yes, I know that's effectively radio!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the most recent stock exchange info that is available is 10-15 minutes old

From nasdaq.com
    # How much lag is involved when accessing your delayed quotes?
    Trading information on NASDAQ and OTCBB companies is delayed at least 15 minutes. Trading information on NYSE and AMEX companies is delayed at least 20 minutes per those exchanges' rules. The Most Active section is delayed at least 15 minutes for NASDAQ and 20 minutes for AMEX and NYSE. The NASDAQ Indices and the Major Indices scrolling ticker are delayed at least 1 minute. Mutual Funds are updated at the end of each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

doh.ie wrote:
    it always gives me the impression of "They're there, read them if you want - I'm too lazy to bother."

I always think this too! And it's true cause they used to read them all out but they took so long. Suppose they knocked it on the head really cause they thought devoting so much time to an extreme minority interest (ok debatable, but largely true) was rather pointless. It's a televisual distraction really, just like satellite link-ups. Most who want or need the info has it already from Aertel, the internet or from work...

Advertisement