Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a (paper) dictionary

• 05-03-2005 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!

I'm looking for a fairly comprehensive Japanese-English/English-Japanese dictionary in book form - one that would give the words in hiragana and in kanji if necessary, the different forms of verbs (formal and informal), a fairly wide selection of vocabulary and examples of usage.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0198603665/qid=1110099284/br=1-6/ref=br_lf_b_6//103-0867788-5695864?v=glance&s=books&n=11552

This one has pretty much all you're looking for, the only problem is that it's not as vocabulary-rich as large dictionaries, but it's definitely more helpful, with verb form references (if you look up 上げます, it'll redirect you to 上げる, for example) and a lot of practical notes on usage in entries. Everything's written in both hiragana and kanji.

There's a bigger version of it that I think is more comprehensive, but I can't find it on Amazon. I saw it in Eason's though, so you could try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Lantis wrote:
    There's a bigger version of it that I think is more comprehensive, but I can't find it on Amazon. I saw it in Eason's though, so you could try that.

Got it in Waterstone's today. Should be really handy!

Advertisement