Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is UTVs DNS porked?

• 05-03-2005 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

its being going on and off for me over the last few days. It'll allow you to browse on sites you have opened before it went belly up but trying to lookup new ones will fail. Usually only goes down for five or ten minutes but its annoying as hell :mad:

Im off to smart anyways i think :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bambi wrote:
    its being going on and off for me over the last few days. It'll allow to browse and sites you have opened before it goes belly up but trying to lookup new ones will fail. Usually only goes down for five or ten minutes but its annoying as hell :mad:

Im off to smart anyways i think :D

Yup - notice it here to. :/

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

use a diff dns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭chilipop

How do you change DNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

The server-assigned ones have been changed by UTV, although Carl couldn't replicate the problem on an ongoing basis. I haven't had the problem since he switched things earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At the suggestion of someone here I changed to 194.46.8.9 port 8080 and its been fine since...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

yeah, could change it to our works isp's dns but its a bit of a pain in the áras :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was borked for me last week but it seems fine this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

One problem with using the 194.46.8.9 proxy: It's banned from slashdot: http://slashdot.org/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

plazzTT wrote:
    One problem with using the 194.46.8.9 proxy: It's banned from slashdot: http://slashdot.org/

Have you tried the 195.218.116.8 port 3128?

Incidentally I wonder how the ordinary average punter out there who knows nothing about dns, proxies or any of that stuff copes when websites wont open for them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dub45 wrote:

Incidentally I wonder how the ordinary average punter out there who knows nothing about dns, proxies or any of that stuff copes when websites wont open for them?

Im guessing change that in IE Settings ya? As a Proxy? Went down earlier today for a long time, rang UTV but auto mated machine said theres many calls and ill be waiting a while..

- Sully

• Advertisement

Sully04 wrote:
    Im guessing change that in IE Settings ya? As a Proxy?

- Sully

Yeah change it in the IE settings Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN settings - Proxy server.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 taoiseachjoe

chilipop wrote:
    How do you change DNS

In XP, for my Broadband Connection, I would click Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection/Right Mouse/Properties/Internet Protocol(Tcp/Ip)/Properties/

Check the box "Use the following DNS Server Addresses" and then type in the addresses of known Primary and Secondary DNS Servers. e.g.
    159.134.237.6 and 159.134.248.17 are Eircom DNS Servers.

It is probably a good idea to choose a Primary DNS server from a different organisation than the Secondary, because if the Primary is down, the Secondary is then used instead.

Also, I think the discussion on changing Proxy Server addresses may be a little off the point, as my understanding is that a Proxy Server is a place where frequently-used web site CONTENT is cached to avoid having to go to the real web site to get the content.

A DNS Server, on the other hand, is just a server where web names like "www.microsoft.com" are changed into TCPIP addresses like 207.46.144.188

Joe

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

dub45 wrote:

I was experiencing that prob and nothing much seemed to be happening through the support newsgroup. I went and logged a call. The tech emailed me back and with the reply that her supervisor said that the problem was with my "computer and to get on to the manufacturer".

So thats what the average joe was going to get - despite the fact that I had a list of times that the DNS went down - @10 mins to the hour, every hour; despite the fact that it was happening to other geographically dispersed users with varying platforms - the official UTV answer was that it was my box which was the problem.

parsi wrote:
    I was experiencing that prob and nothing much seemed to be happening through the support newsgroup. I went and logged a call. The tech emailed me back and with the reply that her supervisor said that the problem was with my "computer and to get on to the manufacturer".

So thats what the average joe was going to get - despite the fact that I had a list of times that the DNS went down - @10 mins to the hour, every hour; despite the fact that it was happening to other geographically dispersed users with varying platforms - the official UTV answer was that it was my box which was the problem.

That's apallling and that's what I feared :rolleyes:

In XP, for my Broadband Connection, I would click .............

Also, I think the discussion on changing Proxy Server addresses may be a little off the point, as my understanding is that a Proxy Server is a place where frequently-used web site CONTENT is cached to avoid having to go to the real web site to get the content.

A DNS Server, on the other hand, is just a server where web names like "www.microsoft.com" are changed into TCPIP addresses like 207.46.144.188

Joe

I have found since this problem began with UTV (and I think this is at least the third episode of it) that if I dont have the proxy server in I have all sorts of problems and not just with web sites.

Are there any problems in a UTV customer accessing a non UTV dns server i.e. wil Eircom allow their DNS servers to be used by anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 taoiseachjoe

dub45 wrote:
    I have found since this problem began with UTV (and I think this is at least the third episode of it) that if I dont have the proxy server in I have all sorts of problems and not just with web sites.

Are there any problems in a UTV customer accessing a non UTV dns server i.e. wil Eircom allow their DNS servers to be used by anyone?

I believe that DSN servers are available to everyone on the internet.

In windows XP, try using the "nslookup" utility program and the subcommand "server aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd" command where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is a TCP/IP address of a DNS server and then test whether you can resolve a web name like "www.microsoft.com"

Anyway, I did a test where I connected to my UTV Dial-up account, having set my Dialup Connection TCPIP properties DSN primary/secondary = to the Eircom DNS addresses and it all worked fine.

Joe

Advertisement