Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Gillick

• 05-03-2005 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Good on ya Dave. Knew ya could do it. 1st in the European Indoors with a time of 46.30, thats only 0.13 seconds off his P.B set yesterday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

He ran a strong race, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

He also ran smart, kept out of trouble. And in the post race interview he came off really well, unlike some other athletes who still complained after they won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Chuffed to bits for Gillick. It's not very often I shout at the TV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Congratulations to Cragg, Gillick, O'Rourke, Hession and all the other athletes who did us proud this weekend. Wouldn't it be a fitting memorial to their efforts if the Government got their finger out and gave us the Indoor facilities in Santry they promised us about 5 or 6 years ago. Cragg aside look what we're capable of producing on the meagre facilities we possess here. So c'mon you athletic journalists, Ian O'Riardon, Frank Greally, Lindie Naughton etc., starting making noises in your columns and magazines.

Well said Common Sense, does this happen to be the same Common Sense from Da Buzz? Anyway, I agree with you, athletics journalists should petition for decent facilities. Get the word around.

• Advertisement

Yes - I am the same Common Sense. Just discovered this board lately. So you may have to put up with some of my views here from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

I thought he did really good, and yeah he came across well in the interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yes - I am the same Common Sense. Just discovered this board lately. So you may have to put up with some of my views here from time to time.

So far, so good. :)

The team did us proud. Apart from the two wins, Hession and O'Rourke did great, too. And Hession may have been robbed of a medal by that idiotic semi draw.

All in all it was a great championships, with some really high quality stuff.

They say "Success breeds success", so let's hope so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

O'Rourke would have made the final if she had been drawn in the other semi and silver was only .03 faster than her heat time, so I think she can take away a lot of confidence (not that she should be short of it anyway) from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The 200m is a nonsense event in that so much depends on the lane draw. And how Hession and Lambert could be drawn in the same semi after being 1-2 in the same heat defies any logic. As does having only 2 qualifiers from the semis with no fastest losers. There should have been an extra round - 2 on the Friday, semi on Sat, final on Sun. But in any event he can take confidence into the outdoor season that he's as good as Lambert.

Gillick was just outstanding. I thought he was boxed in at one stage, but things opened up for him, and he ran brilliantly.

I didnt get to see much on Sunday evening - was there a 4x400 event - I cant find anything in the papers about it?

I did see James McIlroy. Bad tactics cost him a medal, and he knew it himself. IMO, he was the third best athlete in the final, with a small chance of silver (I think the Russian was always going to win), but he threw away bronze.

• Advertisement

The 4*400 was an interesting race, the Spanish were up leading when the third Polish athlete fell, taking down the Spanish athlete, the Polish went on to finish second but got disqualified after a complaint. The British then got moved up to second. Results were 1st - France; 2nd - Britain; 3rd - Russia.

In the womens equivalent the Russians hit the front and ran it from there, followed home by a surprisingly strong Polish team and Britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

Fair play to him he did us proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Squirrel wrote:
    The 4*400 was an interesting race, the Spanish were up leading when the third Polish athlete fell, taking down the Spanish athlete, the Polish went on to finish second but got disqualified after a complaint. The British then got moved up to second. Results were 1st - France; 2nd - Britain; 3rd - Russia.

In the womens equivalent the Russians hit the front and ran it from there, followed home by a surprisingly strong Polish team and Britain

Why was there no Irish team? We surely would have had a very good chance of a medal.

Yes, it was a bit stupid, I suppose you would have to put that question to the AAI

As far as I know, it was nothing to do with the AAI. The relays were by invitation only - the 5 teams with the fastest times during last summer plus the host nation. As things worked out its not fanciful to suggest that we would have taken silver - although we might have been pretty close to the accident. (The British were so far behind and the French as the frontrunners were really the only 2 teams not affected. Every attempt should now be made to put a relay team together and run some fast times. That's how teams are getting to the major finals nowadays. (The top so many - times don't mean a thing unless you make the magic cut-off point in the European and World rankings.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, getting chances to run fast outdoor times to qualify for the Olympics last summer proved to be troublesome as far as I know, and Ireland aren't the only team in that boat afaik.

Yea, I just found that out, the countries should be allowed send a team based on results aswell, like our bronze at the worlds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

congrats to david

i wonder if he still remembers training with me back in the day lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Well done to David. Goes to show what can be done when the correct coaching and family support is there. Its not all about pumping money in, you need good support networks too, David has them.

The one thing that impressed me was his tactics. Watched the replay of the race and he had a super kick off the last bend. Its one thing to be physically good enough, but to have the confidence to be that patient is a good sign, a lesser man would have panicked at the bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tingle wrote:
    The one thing that impressed me was his tactics. Watched the replay of the race and he had a super kick off the last bend. Its one thing to be physically good enough, but to have the confidence to be that patient is a good sign, a lesser man would have panicked at the bell.

I was very worried that he would panic, but his tactics displayed fantastic maturity and courage. Well done to him. The 400m conveyor belt keeps them coming. David has gone from the fringes of the 4x4 squad to Euro indoor champ in less than 2 yrs. Brilliant. Hopefully he and some of the others (O'Rourke, Hession, Cragg) can build on these results during the outdoor season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement