Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some music.

Options
  • 05-03-2005 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'd like to hear what everybody else would like , who have the same tastes as mine. My favouriite bands are the Pixies with Nirvana close behind. Pearl Jam have alot of songs that I love. I really liked Aenima by Tool , Lateralus and undertow are ok. REM have a few songs that I like. Other completly different such as Moby and Coldplay.

Anybody have rock/Metal suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

if you like the pixies try somethin by pj harvey
    and mudhoney are a good grunge band too!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Audioslave, Rage Against The Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, At The Drive In, Queens Of The Stone Age, Deftones, Therapy?, Alice In Chains, Weezer, A Perfect Circle, The Mars Volta, Temple Of The Dog, Stone Temple Pilots, Our Lady Peace, Radiohead, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, System OF A Down, Veruca Salt...

The new Green Day album , american Idiot, is quite good as well.

That's all I can think of right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

These mightn't be so like the bands you've mentioned but they're sooo worht checking out:
    The Mars Volta: Francis the Mute/Deloused in the Comatorium/Tremulant EP
    John Frusciante: Inside of Emptiness/Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-shirt
    PJ Harvey: As mentioned, any album (with the possible exception fo stories) is brilliant.
    Ataxia: Autmatic Writing
    New Order: can't remember the cd name but it has Blue Monday on it (Moby-ish-ish)
    My Bloody Valentine: Irish grunge band, very like Nirvana but a bit more artistic, quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

biffy clyro - infinity land
    idlewild - warnings/promises
    jimmy eat world - futures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

incubus are cool too !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Drevin Fairy

Mastodon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mastodon

Seconded.

Also...

Green Carnation
    Porcupine Tree
    Dream Theater
    Arcturus
    Opeth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Joy Division
    The Melvins
    Lard
    The Flaming Lips

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

No one ever mentions Primus. Primus my good man, everything BUT Antipop. Les Claypool's side projects rule as well: Sausage, Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, The Holy Mackerel... Just about anything of his Les's you can get is good.
    Also try Adrian Belew. He is a musical genius. Try King Crimson's "The Construkction of Light"(yes, that's the way they spell it). It's marvellous. Along with that, try to get Side One, a project he did with Les Claypool, Danny Carey (Tool's drummer) and himself (obviously). It's masterful. I would also recommend Faith No More, Mike Patton is one hell of a vocal genius. If you like bands who really push the musical envelope, try the Dillinger Escape Plan(anything before Miss Machine) and Sikth. Sikth are being billed as the next big band to change music as we know it (although I doubt I'll ever hear "Hold My Finger" or "Pussyfoot" on TodayFM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Deadnight

No one ever mentions Primus. Primus my good man, everything BUT Antipop. Les Claypool's side projects rule as well: Sausage, Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, The Holy Mackerel... Just about anything of his Les's you can get is good.

Antipop has actually grown on me...

But yup, if yer only gettin into Primus I recommend Sailing the Seas of Cheese first, then Frizzle Fry or Pork Soda. And you should also check out Mr. Bungle too, but at your own risk because Mike Patton's stuff makes the rest of your CD collection sound boring *nods* Children of Bodom are quite excellent, everyone should have a copy of Follow the Reaper or Something Wild. AND...you mentioned Nirvana *shudder*....Alice in Chains are MUCH much much much better :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

John2 wrote:
    Joy Division

mmhmm

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cremo wrote:
    biffy clyro - infinity land

Agreed, nobody can have too much Biffy.

Mudhoney/Screaming Trees/Kerbdog, for the grungey stuff (I see AiC have already been mentioned a fair bit).

A bit of Ministry never hurt anyone either (unless it was the dodgy 80's synthpop that the first album was made of, that is). And neither did any Mad Capsule Markets (Osc-Dis or for preference; 010, Cistm Konflict and Digidogheadlock all have their moments but aren't quite as good overall and the stuff before those albums sounds like a completely different and far more boring band)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Pantera!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For something random here: Sonata Arctica. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Varied suggestions:

Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stone Age, AC/DC, Oasis, The Ramones, The Libertines, Babyshambles, Kasabian, Razorlight, Mark Lanegan Band, Kyuss, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, Guns N' Roses, The Smiths, Morrissey, The Clash, The Stone Roses, The Who, Doves, Idlewild.

They may not be all to your taste but all great bands/artists who I love very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Jane's Addiction, Ween, Eleven, Rammstein, Muse,Everlast,Mr. Bungle,Placebo.
    Only a few but all deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Seeker wrote:
    I'd like to hear what everybody else would like , who have the same tastes as mine. My favouriite bands are the Pixies with Nirvana close behind. Pearl Jam have alot of songs that I love. I really liked Aenima by Tool , Lateralus and undertow are ok. REM have a few songs that I like. Other completly different such as Moby and Coldplay.

Anybody have rock/Metal suggestions?

after careful scrutiny of your choices id say the band for you are Abruptum.
    try "Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectere Me" for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 D'associashun

In no partcular order I would recommend:
    Primal Scream- Screamadelica, Vanishing Point
    Happy Mondays- Bummed, Pills N Thrills N Bellyaches
    Guns 'N Roses- Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion II
    Doves - Lost Souls
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe, Whats the Story Morning Glory
    Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love
    Jimi Hendrix- Are You Experienced, Axis Bold as Love, Electric Ladyland
    The Beatles - Revolver
    Any U2 album up to and including Achtung Baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You should also check out Kings of Leon, Muse and Franz Ferdinand for something a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It always perplexes me when a recommendations thread starts up, there's always a few posts that 'recommend' some of the most blatantly obvious bands around, that you'd probably have a very hard time NOT having heard of before. Perhaps if you were a deaf hedgehog, living in an isolated cave somwhere in Leitrum, there might be a chance that the likes of Guns'N'Roses, or The Beatles are unknown to you.

Honestly, some of the bands being mentioned are a part of history, and part of popular culture in general. Don't get me wrong now, they're certainly some great bands, but what exactly is the point in recommending something that everyone is 100% guaranteed to be aware of? I'd think the point would be more towards recommending something that the thread starter wouldn't have heard before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

My Bloody Valentine: Irish grunge band, very like Nirvana but a bit more artistic, quite good.

My bloddy valintine wernt grunge at all shoe-gaze,deam pop or post rock
    but not grunge by any strech of the imagination and nothing like nirvana
    But they were great
    actually no one is grunge as the genre was made up but thats a different argument

if you want to see my recomeddations check out my post on the music radio board in the essential albums thread from your tastes you may like some of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Rancid, Pennywise, Dropkick Murphys, H2O, NOFX, Dead Kennedys, Stiff Little Fingers, Sublime, Portishead, Morcheeba, Bjork, The Avalanches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

. Perhaps if you were a deaf hedgehog, living in an isolated cave somwhere in Leitrum, there might be a chance that the likes of Guns'N'Roses, or The Beatles are unknown to you.

yeah i agree definitely
    thats why i think the person should give abruptum a chance......

alternatively just google one of those websites which links bands of a similar genre, that way you can listen to more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

I also listen to REM, Coldplay.

i like The Frames
    Reamonn
    Rachid Taha
    But I have probably one of the broadest music taste ever!( Arabic rock-eminem-U2-Andrea Bocelli-Springsteen-classical)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

You can't go wrong with Jeff buckley,blind melon, Mettalica,sublime,primus,frank zappa,janes addiction,the frames,low,bright eyes,mark geary,josh ritter,damian rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

Disturbed- Believe
    InMe- Overgrown Eden
    Velvet Revolver- Contraband
    Can't say fairer than that, they're my three faves, all brilliant. cheap enough at the moment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Tegan & Sara (Lesbo-rock!)
    Decemberists
    The Mountain Goats
    Pretty Girls Make Graves
    British Sea Power
    Cat Power
    Avenged Sevenfold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

Arcturus
    Dream Theater
    Extol

and my personal favourite band of all time: www.tourniquet.net

I'm not affiliated but I do think it's criminal they're not huge. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Demon Cleaner

The desert sessions (as many as you can get), Kyuss(Blues for the red sun or And the circus leaves town), and Ween. Also black flag

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

PiE wrote:
    Tegan & Sara (Lesbo-rock!)
    Decemberists
    The Mountain Goats
    Pretty Girls Make Graves
    British Sea Power
    Cat Power
    Avenged Sevenfold

listen to this man

Advertisement