Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP Dilema

Options
  • 05-03-2005 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Should I
    a) Buy a jap psp now
    b) Buy a us psp later in the month
    c) Wait for its release over here

It says the the jap version has a jap and english menu but then why are the menus on the jap games in jap? Surely you can chance the menus to english!

I'm strongly considering buying the jap one later this month but whats the main difference betwen the jap one and the us one, I've been told that the regions for the movies are the same here as in jap! is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Once a JPN PSP has been changed to English you will not see and japanese in the PSP menus.

The game menus are dependant on what region the games are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'd go with the US version tbh, with the weak dollar and all it comes to only €190 ($250) before shipping. It'll probably take awhile until you get one though since demand will surely be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Sorry to hijack the thread, but, I'm looking to get a PSP for my birthday (not till next month), and I was wondering the same thing. And also, if it gets stung buy customs, how much will they charge?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If you specifically tell the site that your buying from to mark the value of the package contents below, what, $40 or so, then you should pass customs with no questions asked. I'm sure sites like videogamesplus.ca will do this at request.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,341 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

it will be very very hard to get a psp in america on the 24th and even after that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dvdsoon seem to have great deals on US psps, 180 plus postage, albeit slow mail!
    Waiting to see how far down the line I am as regards when my order will be filled but we live in hope.
    Not very helpful on the phone though. French Canadians!
    Lik Sang have dropped prices though, 215 euro for standard pack, no postage or duty added to that though so it could wind up costing a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you specifically tell the site that your buying from to mark the value of the package contents below, what, $40 or so, then you should pass customs with no questions asked. I'm sure sites like videogamesplus.ca will do this at request.

what happens then if it gets lost?

You can only claim the value you put on the package. It like paying for insurance. You can pay the extra €60-€70 and be guarnteed your money back if something goes wrong or gamble it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I went with a Japanese one, it cost 250 for the value pack, + Ridge Racers + Delivery + being raped by customs brought the total to 400 or thereabouts. A lot of money but its completely worth it. It's surpassed my expectations which were pretty high.

The only difference between the consoles from the different regions is if you want to play movies. The Japanese one is fully English, your given the option the first time you turn it on so thats not a problem. UMD movies will not be region free however. Japanese movies won't play on a US PSP and vice versa. However, it is possible that European PSPs and Japanese PSPs are compatible with eachother's movies, since Europe and Japan are the same DVD region and people are expecting the UMD regions to be exactly the same, this isn't certain though. So you could buy a US one and just buy all your movies from the US and your grand, or you could buy a Jap one and hope that Euro movies run on it. That's if you actually want it for the movies, which I didn't at first but then the screen impressed me so much that I want to try it with a movie now, at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

steviec wrote:
    I went with a Japanese one, it cost 250 for the value pack, + Ridge Racers + Delivery + being raped by customs brought the total to 400 or thereabouts. A lot of money but its completely worth it. It's surpassed my expectations which were pretty high.

Where did you buy yours from? I was going to buy from Lik Sang, thir selling the value pack for €250 without a game bcuz i can get ridge racers here and im headn to the states in june so i'll buy a load of games there.

Fcuking customs :mad: would lik sang mark the value of the package contents as €40, has anyone tried this & dose it work?

• Advertisement

I got a PSP from a private seller on ebay. He sent it with a value of €40 and I didn't get caught for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,341 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

your best bet is ebay and ill supply you with the games

which im selling at the moment in FS DVDs / CDs / Software / Games
    thread

i taught i just get that into the open :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

If I bought the psp on ebay from an european seller would that mean that customs cant do anything because I bought it from another eu country?

Snoopdog what games are you selling and for how much?

Yep, anything bough inside the EU is not eligable for customs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And yet lik-sang has a european warehouse from which they send out out products without a worry of duty, prices increase strangely enough when they send from there!
    They should provide such an in demand product as the PSP from europe.
    Ah well, ours is not to reason why...

That would mean they would get stuck with the VAT and would increase the selling price of a PSP. They have no exemption from VAT.

Advertisement