Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Pass/Fail and Poll

Options
  • 05-03-2005 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

01 Reg Vehicles : First time Pass Rate is 70% and Re-test Pass Rate is 95%

99 Reg Vehicles: First time Pass Rate is 57% and Re-test Pass Rate is 93%

92-96 Reg Vehicles: First time Pass Rate is 39% and Re-test Pass Rate is 89%

full list here http://www.ncts.ie/test_stats.html

Overall the pass rate is a miserable 50% approx, which is pretty handy for business I'd say (not that I'm suggesting skullduggery!). Worse 10% fail a second test!

What did you fail on? 27 votes

Emissions
    0% 0 votes
    Brakes
    14% 4 votes
    Steering
    22% 6 votes
    Suspension
    3% 1 vote
    Wheels
    14% 4 votes
    Lights
    3% 1 vote
    Bodywork
    22% 6 votes
    Licence Plates
    11% 3 votes
    Other (please specify in post)
    7% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In my test May 04, I failed on rear brakes (new pads) and a slightly dodgy battery tray.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Like to help Mike but I never had to get one done :D

Nearest was the very morning I was changing my car the
    letter from NCT arrived.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

my '89 failed because my battery clamp(the arm that holds the battery on) was to close to the terminal, which could cause a short.

i say could as it was an inch or two away, all i did was undo the clamp and move it slightly and all good in the retest!

strangly the clamp had made it through previous tests years ago and the headlights had a fail advisary but now after no work on them, hte headlamps tested fine....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My car failed last year on one mis-aligned headlamp. I went ape shít with them as I had paid a fortune the day before to a BMW main dealer to have the car NCT prepared (including a specific instruction on headlamps). Anyway, the manager in Fonthill told me to bring my car around and he would show me. Turns out that the dealer didn't do the lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

nice one ;) i think the nct guys should offer to align any misaligned headlamps for a 15 euro fee, would save alot of hassle for alot of people, i think rough irish roads coupled with the lights on a motorised adjuster play havoc with the motor and that is why so many fail the headlamp test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

failed my car on one number plate bulb gone, even though there was another one there, also the wheel trims not removed, no charge for retest and no waiting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lomb wrote:
    nice one ;) i think the nct guys should offer to align any misaligned headlamps for a 15 euro fee, would save alot of hassle for alot of people, i think rough irish roads coupled with the lights on a motorised adjuster play havoc with the motor and that is why so many fail the headlamp test.
    I don't think it would be a good idea to have the NCTS staff fixing the car they just failed. It would lead to loads (more!) corruption allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

98 Mondeo NCT 02. Passed 1st time after service
    90 Fiesta NCT 02. Passed 1st time after service
    98 Mondeo NCT 04. Before service. Failed for sticky door handle - passed on visual recheck.
    95 Space Wagon NCT 05. Before service. Failed for faded number plate, loose bumper, reflectors on side of rear bumper and worn anti-roll bar linkages. Passed on re-test.
    Both times I got the service done first I paid extra for all the pre-NCT checks to be done. When I got the NCT done before the service I knew exactly what NCT work needed to be done so it cost less.

I have found NCT very good to deal with - Saturday / Sunday / evening opening hours, online booking so you can pick your test time, helpful when explaining reasons for failure etc.

Advertisement